Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:39 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,392,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't know why we don't just get rid of state IDs and have a national ID with a chip that serves as a single ID for driver's licenses, concealed-carry permits, etc. This is getting ridiculous.

We are the United States of America , not the country of America. The States are separate entities per the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 08:17 AM

21,167 posts, read 19,768,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
We are the United States of America , not the country of America. The States are separate entities per the Constitution.

Then why don't they each have separate passports?

Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 AM

13,665 posts, read 9,738,979 times
Quote:
And this is the fundamental problem, for everything from state-ID cards to licensing of professionals to schools and taxes and roads and gun laws. A true unitary national government, as opposed to a merely federal one, would obviate untold amounts of regulatory and civic problems.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
"Traveling in the U.S. is about to get tougher thanks to the Real ID Act -- which Congress passed in 2005 as a counterterrorism measure. People in New York, New Hampshire, Minnesota, Louisiana and American Samoa can no longer show their driver's licenses at airports."

Apparently my NY driver's license does not have as much identifying info as that of my NJ relatives' licenses? I can't imagine how much more info w/b needed for me to pass TSA inspection?!?

The crazy part is that I will have to get a passport to be able to fly out of NY next year. And this is for flying w/in the country, not international.

Here's some crazy logic: To get a passport I'll first need to get a certified copy of my birth certificate. And to get a copy of my birth certificate I need only to submit a COPY of my driver's license...a copy, no face-to-face, is-that-really-you! SO...a NY DL isn't good enough for flying but it IS good enough to get a birth certificate which gets me a passport which allows me to fly. This makes me dizzy!

And the poor NY family of 6 that wants only to fly down to Disneyworld next year. They'll need to pay for 6 passports??

Granted, it might be in everyone's interest to have a passport but this new rule for these few states just seems ludicrous to me.

And annoying!
It's not a "new rule." As was noted above, it has been in effect since 2005.
States had many years to start issuing these licenses and most have done so.

BTW, there are more than just the states listed above that are non-compliant:

"Update: As it turns out, residents from even more states will be facing further complications. Per the Idaho Statesman, there several states whose laws expressly prevent complying with the Real ID law: Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington."

If You're From One of These States and Planning to Fly in 2016, LOL Sorry

Old 09-25-2015, 09:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Here in NH I have to show a picture ID in order to vote. As a relatively liberal Democrat I resent the hell out of having to show that I am who I say I am.

IMHO - Having to show a passport or passport card in order to travel internally is the first step on a short walk to "Papers, Please".
Oh please, we're already there. Thank the Patriot Act. You think they don't run your name against their own little internal lists?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:06 AM

25,982 posts, read 22,169,754 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't we are using the Constitution anymore or honoring states rights. This is Obama's America. A whole new country.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:07 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,840,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't know why we don't just get rid of state IDs and have a national ID with a chip that serves as a single ID for driver's licenses, concealed-carry permits, etc. This is getting ridiculous.
And a tattoo with your number on the back of your neck. however... if you just hopped across the southern border you are exempt.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,840,581 times
I think we should require passports when driving from any state to another. Just another gument fee to make more $$$$$. That gument is letting untold thousands of undocumented aliens in...some may be from Mars.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Oh, I don't we are using the Constitution anymore or honoring states rights. This is Obama's America. A whole new country.
News flash, the days of state's rights were gone long before Obama's America. State's rights were limited by constitutional amendments, laws and Supreme Court rulings long before November 2008.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:36 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,638,939 times
Cool. I'll just use my passport. No biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events