Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 01:57 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Insecurity, perhaps?
Or it's easier for some people to parrot the blowhards they hear vilifying their target du jour...some days it's a particular religion or when that gets boring they move on to race or socio-economic status (so much to hate..so little time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 02:20 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,451,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In a couple of other posts, posters have already shown what the curriculum approved by the state and locality is, and it includes teaching about Islam. To teach about any religion at a level where there is any thing meaningful, a few paragraphs about the dogma of the religion is necessary. Reading what the pillars of Islam are is not "crossing the line"; it is the most basic historical fact of that religion. The teacher would only be "crossing the line" if they taught beyond the curriculum, spent an inordinate amount of time on the topic, or began inculcating dogma. Based on the information we have, you don't know that happened.
I tried the link in the OP ... would not load. However, this ... California has a state-wide curriculum and religions are meant to be taught only in the context of history ... was there. The Muslim prayer and the 5 pillars hardly constitute THE CONTEXT OF HISTORY.

El Nox

Old 10-12-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Exactly. Look at Iraq, for instance. Our Soldiers kicked down Doors at night, and searched homes for Insurgents, seeing women in their night clothes in bed, and the wondered why the Citizens got so upset. We burned Korans, and paraded naked Muslim Men in public, and thought it was no big thing, because to us, it isn't. We still think its OK to mock their God with Cartoons, because we have free speech, then wonder why they Hate us. If we know their Religion and how they perceive it we would have known. Could have saved a lot of lives. No one says we have to accept any Religion, but if some one is likely to kill you for an act against theirs, it helps to know what not to do, out of respect for their beliefs. Ignorance can get you killed.

At least then, if you choose to ignore the facts, anything that happens is on you.
Interesting but laughable. You use multiple examples of how WE offend them and ignore how THEY offend us. I will only use one example ... How about the US Army sergeant they are trying to throw out of the military because he stopped a Muzzie from continuing to rape a boy. Don't hand me the clap-trap about there were no orders given to protect the kid. Even though there is a lunatic fringe of our population who would cheer that horses pootie on, the rest of us do not. By the way, the Muzzies don't give a rats azz about OUR religion nor do they respect our beliefs.

El Nox

Old 10-12-2015, 02:33 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Here is the teaching guide to the book that is referenced in the article:
http://achieve.lausd.net/cms/lib08/C...al%20Guide.pdf
Please take a look at it, then come back and tell me it will destroy the minds of your children

Old 10-12-2015, 02:36 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,574,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Islam isn't a country, nor an historical event. Terrible analogies.
No, but it is an ideology, like all religions.
Its a voluntary belief system - like Marxism if you will. Not such a bad analogy. Its not comparable to race or gender.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:39 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,795,835 times
I say kudos to the mom for actually paying attention to what the kid is actually learning. Nowadays most parents just let the kids learn whatever a school decides to spoon feed their children.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:44 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,574,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Or it's easier for some people to parrot the blowhards they hear vilifying their target du jour...some days it's a particular religion or when that gets boring they move on to race or socio-economic status (so much to hate..so little time)

Hardly comparable. Plenty of religions have repugnant beliefs and practices within them incompatible with universal human rights. Respecting someone's right to have their religion (which most of us sane people would agree with) is not the same as respecting that religion itself. You'd soon see the nonsense of that position if Mayan god worship and human sacrifice came on to the scene again. To many, a religion that has special punishments for apostates, for example, is abhorrent. Religions are not some perfect unblemished thing floating out of touch of humans, they are human-made and can be quite awful.

Whats more they are all voluntary belief systems. They are not comparable to manifestly involuntary and genetically determined characteristics such as gender, race. Comparing racism and sexism with disagreeing or disapproving of ones' beliefs (whether it be Christianity, Islam, Veganism, White Supremacy), is quite frankly, disgusting.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Here is the teaching guide to the book that is referenced in the article:
http://achieve.lausd.net/cms/lib08/C...al%20Guide.pdf
Please take a look at it, then come back and tell me it will destroy the minds of your children
I did.

Unfortunately for you ... nowhere in section 6 of that tome did it show a requirement to list the 5 pillars of Islam or listen to an Islamic prayer. It does list other items to teach. You seem oblivious to the mothers complaint. O well.

For the record, El Nox NEVER, EVER talked about destroying "the minds of your children". Apparently that appeared in another post ... but since you placed this after I stated that I could not load the actual curriculum guide, it only seems logical that you are addressing me. I still do not know what the State standard is ... this is merely a teachers guide and does not address the standard.

El Nox

Old 10-12-2015, 03:19 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,874,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom
Without context, the whole issue is pretty meaningless.
Bloody stupid also!!!!

It was just an assignment!!!!! (Like a book report)

Old 10-12-2015, 03:37 PM

8,278 posts, read 8,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why download the 5 pillars of Islam? You do know the 10 Commandments are being removed from most all public property?

I would not agree with this either, just as I would not like my kids to learn Catholic doctrine or Mormon doctrine.....mainly, because neither applies to my religion or our God. This is for children to take it to their parents if they want to learn beyond what Islam means, same with any Christian religion.
So you have your own God? Not the God of Abraham? You know the God that Catholics and Mormons worship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events