Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 08:22 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Are they teaching about all those virgins the Muslim men will have when they die? If not, why not?
Just for a laugh in this hot topic, there's the old joke about the virgins that Muslim extremists will spend time with when they martyr themselves and go to heaven...only to find out those virgins are all old Catholic nuns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I am American. Teaching ABOUT religion is far different that teaching the DOGMA of the religion. The teacher crossed the line. Although I have not looked at the book you refer to, I seriously doubt that there is ANY Christian Dogma just as I doubt there is Buddist, Hindu, or myriad other religions' dogma.

The parent is correct and the teacher is wrong.

El Nox
In a couple of other posts, posters have already shown what the curriculum approved by the state and locality is, and it includes teaching about Islam. To teach about any religion at a level where there is any thing meaningful, a few paragraphs about the dogma of the religion is necessary. Reading what the pillars of Islam are is not "crossing the line"; it is the most basic historical fact of that religion. The teacher would only be "crossing the line" if they taught beyond the curriculum, spent an inordinate amount of time on the topic, or began inculcating dogma. Based on the information we have, you don't know that happened.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:27 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Can you show us were a school is teaching Christianity and then providing downloads to the 10 Commandments, and is not being attacked for separation of church and state?

One can touch on all 3 religions in one short lesson then move on. No need for individual teaching on the 3 religions.
The 6th grade content includes Judaism, Christianity, and other religions.

For example:

6. Note the origins of Christianity in the Jewish Messianic prophecies, the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as described in the New Testament, and the contribution of St. Paul the Apostle to the definition and spread of Christian beliefs (e.g., belief in the Trinity, resurrection, salvation).

I'm surprised at how much about religion is taught in 6th and 7th grade classes called World History and Geography.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:33 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm curious what you mean by, "No, it's always Islam being taught." Really? What is your evidence for that?
I went to school in the 70's and religion was never taught to us, why now? My whole 12 yrs of school I didn't deal with religion in my schools. I lived and went to school in Southern and Northern California.

If one notices when Christianity is brought in many of you who support Islam have issues. Many of you have downgraded the Christmas tree to just a tree.......but are fine with kids learning the 5 pillars of Islam. In reality when one reads the 5 pillars of Islam, one can see why so many on the left would be in agreement with Islam........

Old 10-12-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
It is about exactly what muslims want, to preach their so called "religion" to gain converts to their death cult.
I lived in Thailand for a couple of years. It was not unusual to hear the call to prayer. It never instilled in me even the slightest desire to convert.

I visited a mosque in Singapore. It was interesting to see one aspect of a culture. It never instilled in me a desire to convert.

As a school administrator in Virginia, I was sometimes invited to the end-of-Ramadan celebration by some of our Muslim students and their parents. It never made me have the slightest desire to convert.

I was invited to a very large Muslim family party one year. I never for a second thought, "Oh, I should convert."

In fact, much of what I saw/heard made me feel more of a lack of respect for that particular religion.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
I really do not think theology should be taught in public school. I do not think teachers are equipped or trained in such areas, nor do I see what value it brings. Other than in a general sense, not specific to a particular religion. Theology is all about interpretation of beliefs that can not be proven.
There is much in life that cannot be proven, yet should be understood at at least a basic level.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
So if we can't talk about Islam and what Muslims believe how do we teach why 9/11 happened? "some guys from the middle east don't like America so they attacked us" doesn't really explain what happened.

If you can't talk about specific tenants of faith how do you explain Jihad?
Yes. I have no problem with any American hating Islam if they can explain why in an intelligent manner. But I have a problem with an uneducated American hating Islam without being able to explain why; that shows ignorance.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
I see the problem here. If the teacher wants to teach about Islam, OK. Just make sure the teacher goes into detail about Sharia Law and the Muslims' view on women, gays, non-Muslims and their quest to eliminate all others. But I'm certain the students will be subject to the PC version of how peace loving Muslims are and thats what is making the mother mad. Yeah, teach the truth, but filter out all the facts that are unpleasant. Thumbs up mom!!!
So, the best thing for you to do is to provide input to the state education department and school board where the decisions about what is included in curriculum are actually made. Since you have such strong opinions about what should and should not be in the curriculum, have you ever done that? Have you ever volunteered to sit on a textbook selection committee? Volunteered to work on a school board committee?

Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
...Many of you have downgraded the Christmas tree to just a tree.......but are fine with kids learning the 5 pillars of Islam. In reality when one reads the 5 pillars of Islam, one can see why so many on the left would be in agreement with Islam........
1. Is a Christmas tree even mentioned in the Bible? I don't think so.

2. I just reread the 5 Pillars of Islam. Nothing there attracts me...except for giving to the poor. But that's important in the New Testament and in Buddhism.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:41 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Is a Christmas tree even mentioned in the Bible? I don't think so.
Yes, in the OT.

Quote:
2. I just reread the 5 Pillars of Islam. Nothing there attracts me...except for giving to the poor. But that's important in the New Testament and in Buddhism.
As I said, when I was in school we didn't learn religion, why have things changed? I attended schools in CA, religion was not part of our teachings, I went to church for this.

I am Christian and I don't approve of any religion being taught in schools. If it is taught, it should be VERY basic teaching, with no given websites to visit. If one wants to learn past the meaning of each religion let the student persue this.

Is this 5 pillars of Islam to be memorized for a test or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events