Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 06:52 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Islam isn't a country, nor an historical event. Terrible analogies.
^This

I'm with the mother. I wouldn't want my child to learn about a horrible ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:55 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Learning about the tenets of a religion, or ideology, or the platform of a political party, for that matter, is not the same as indoctrination. This mother is just an ignorant fool.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:09 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
What if someone tried to teach the tenets of Judaism or Christianity? Such as the ten commandments. Does anyone here believe they wouldn't be shut down in a New York minute?

Old 10-13-2015, 07:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Learning about the tenets of a religion, or ideology, or the platform of a political party, for that matter, is not the same as indoctrination. This mother is just an ignorant fool.
Yeah I think she should have taken this on........The seventh-grade history assignment asked students to name the Five Pillars of Islam and to summarize Islamic beliefs and practices.

Wish I was this mom, I would have had way too much fun pointing out Islam believes in stoning women, raping little children (mostly boys), marrying young girls and it's okay to rape a woman 10 times to make her a muslim.......yep I would have taken this on!

These above practices are still happening outside the USA.......must be easy to be a Muslim living in America.........try living in Saudi Arabia and see how much religious freedom you will have.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:16 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
What if someone tried to teach the tenets of Judaism or Christianity? Such as the ten commandments. Does anyone here believe they wouldn't be shut down in a New York minute?
My thoughts Judaism would be accepted, it's that Jesus guy that p*sses off many!.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:34 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Without context, the whole issue is pretty meaningless.

Separation of church and state does not preclude learning about various religious beliefs and their importance in regards to historical events.
Really. Where did these parents go to school? I can picture myself in fourth grade, circa 1967, learning about "Moslems", as we pronounced it then.

Given the level of ignorance demonstrated after 9/11, you would think that seeking knowledge would be viewed as a positive. Silly, naive me.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 AM

3,271 posts, read 3,932,639 times
Five Pillars of Islam? That's Easy:
  • Rape
  • Stoning
  • Honor killings
  • Beheadings
  • Terrorism

Old 10-13-2015, 07:58 AM

3,271 posts, read 3,932,639 times
Four more Pillars:
  • Murder
  • Extortion
  • Repression
  • Child Slavery

Wow, islam is more complex than I realized.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
So I guess the mom said if the school has an issue they can talk to her lawyer. I thought there is suppose to be no "religion" in school.? What happened to the separation of church and state?
Seriously, that is one of the most ill informed posts I've ever read. Your lack of comprehension of the most basic events of Western Civilization between 500-1500 is sad, and truly disqualifies you from saying anything meaningful about the subject. You make me sad for our Society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
thats okay, it [Nazi] was christian values....

does this parent want to shelter kids for entire life as well?
Wrong, Nazi's were actually trying to marginalize Christianity and start a new Germanic Religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Islam isn't a country, nor an historical event. Terrible analogies.
Neither is democracy, or Facism, or Communism, and they still need to be taught about in History class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
Why do they need to teach Islam in schools? I'm a liberal and that bothers me too. Religion shouldn't be taught in schools. Period.
An uninformed Liberal, to be sure. Religion is part of the fabric of our History. You cannot teach about European History without teaching about Islam.

The Crusades were fought between Christian and Muslim Armies. The Caliphate expanded into FRANCE before Charles Martel and his Frankish/Burgundian armies defeated the army of the Umayyad Caliphate at the Battle of Tours.

Parts of Spain were under Muslim control until 1492, when they finally surrendered Grenada.

To Deny Islam's role in history would be to scrub a huge portion of Western History out.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:21 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
^This

I'm with the mother. I wouldn't want my child to learn about a horrible ideology.
What about Facism, Nazism, Anarchism? Those are all important but horrible idealogies as well. But you can't understand WW1 and WWII without them, and therefore most of the events of the 20th century without an understanding of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events