Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 08:35 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times

Advertisements

This is crazy. I went to a religious private school and in World History we learned all about Islam and the 5 pillars of faith, Buddhism and the 4 Noble Truths, Roman and Greek mythology. The list goes on.

I literally can not imagine how one could teach world history without talking about religion. How do you teach the Renaissance without discussing the influence of the Catholic Church? Do you just skip over Martin Luther and the Protestant Refarmation? How do you explain why the Pilgrims came to America? What do say when you get to Holocaust and can't talk about Judaism?

Seriously, like 90% of historical conflicts happen over religion. Expecting to not learn about any religions during a history class is absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 08:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
This is crazy. I went to a religious private school and in World History we learned all about Islam and the 5 pillars of faith, Buddhism and the 4 Noble Truths, Roman and Greek mythology. The list goes on.

I literally can not imagine how one could teach world history without talking about religion. How do you teach the Renaissance without discussing the influence of the Catholic Church? Do you just skip over Martin Luther and the Protestant Refarmation? How do you explain why the Pilgrims came to America? What do say when you get to Holocaust and can't talk about Judaism?

Seriously, like 90% of historical conflicts happen over religion. Expecting to not learn about any religions during a history class is absurd.
Exactly, With no religion history would literally be Hunter-Gatherer's then humans farmed more ans stopped Hunter gathering, but we can't go into depth because the way their cities were built was based around religion, the people they attacked was in the name of their god or gods. They literally had a religious class, We then skip both WWI and WWII as religion played a role in both ten we skipped modern history and end up with my first statement.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:53 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
What I am confused about is the whole barcode thing where the student can scan and it will play/bring up Muslim prayers . What the heck is that about ?

It is about exactly what muslims want, to preach their so called "religion" to gain converts to their death cult.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:53 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
This has nothing to do with my point- that education should and does include world history, cultures, and religions.

Whatever little bubble of paranoia you choose to live in is your beef.
My post did respond to your point, but, this post is not worth my time.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:01 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
We had to read passages from the New Testament when I was in middle and high school English class. My mom didn't go crying to the school - it was an important part of existing within the world. She also didn't cry when we learned the pillars of Islam and read parts of the Gita in that same public school social studies and world geography classes. Nor, do I remember, any other parents having a bit of a problem with it despite being one of the most conservative and religious parts of the country.

What is wrong with people today?

What is wrong with these people today is that there is a war against Christianity. The bible is not taught along with islam; the bible and studying its verses has been banned from the classroom while islam is studied. Everything Christian has been banned from the classroom. There is no longer a Christmas break, it is instead a "winter holiday". The Christmas tree is now a holiday tree. Easter break has become "spring break" or "spring holiday". Meanwhile muslim activists in our nations largest school systems have pressed school boards to celebrate and give students holidays for muslim holidays.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:04 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,489 times
It appears that this "textbook" is on-line vice a hardbound book.

But I want to study about the WET Africans in chapter 6. I wonder if they wear tee-shirts?

El Nox

Old 10-10-2015, 09:06 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Your liable to be shot or blown up by some Religious extremist

If you lived in any State in the USA and you preformed, or helped preform, Abortions at an Abortion Clinic, what do you think could happen to you?

Your liable to be shot or blown up by some Religious Extremist.

And the point was......???
Maybe some points would be how to spell and use proper grammar.....and not to assume so much?

Old 10-10-2015, 09:22 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
A War Against Christianity??????
When did this war start, we learn about Christianity every year in S.S, we learn about Islam as a sub unit in the Religions unit inonly one maybe 2 years? Half of the older texts we read in English have or refer to bible verses and we don't just skip over them in respect for students of other religion. In every respectable hotel room in the U.S you can find a bible. Yes with recent changes in the government their is a war but not against Christianity but against Religions, half of our Christian Holidays are getting changed because they don't want to exclude anybody.
For Example: By making Muslim Holidays become holidays for all students they can avoid giving Muslims an unfair advantage of having an excused absent from school while Christians cannot excuse themselves from class.
Vice Versa, many Muslims still rightfully see Christmas as a christian holiday, so they don't get into the Holiday mood and they spend time doing nothing to prepare for the holidays as they don't want to overstep their boundaries by celebrating christian holidays. So these Muslim students just stay a half month or more of doing nothing besides staying at home wasting some important time that could be used to learn.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:33 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post

I literally can not imagine how one could teach world history without talking about religion.
Because 'Murica!

Old 10-10-2015, 09:42 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post

The parent is correct and the teacher is wrong.
No, the teacher is correct. That is why teachers are required to be educated people with a college degree, and that is why education is compulsory in this country - ideally so those who graduate will be well-rounded, knowledgeable individuals. No, it doesn't always happen, but that's the intent.

If a parent wants to have total control over their child's education then they should homeschool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events