Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 06:22 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times

Advertisements

The age old question.....

Is life to be enjoyed or endured?

Everything in moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 08:21 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

I'm reminded of a segment I saw on 60 minutes a few years back.
then only proven way to extend one's lifespan is severe calorie restriction. they interviewed some of these poor saps who had been living on these starvation diets for years in an attempt to live a couple years longer.

and they all looked miserable.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:19 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

Enjoyed, never endured, IMHO, I'd agree. However, there are some things that are just plain dangerous. A glass of wine? Not dangerous. Perhaps even good for you. An extra scoop of mashed potatoes once in a while, a bagel and cream cheese, baked goods on Christmas, a delicious slice of pizza, an apple pie rum cocktail on a cold Autumn night , some good dark chocolate - none of these are heath foods, but they won't hurt you in moderation.

But, even in moderation, cured processed meat has been deemed unsafe. It will hurt you...even in moderation.

Then there are things that are unsafe to eat or do - in any quantity. Smoking cigarettes, even a few days per week. Taking hard drugs and now - red cured and processed meat.

Having examined the chart, processed meat is so carcinogenic that it was equated to smoking cigarettes. Red meat was just under processed meat

Of course I enjoy life! And food and drink are part of that! But there is more to life than food.

I also want to see my children graduate from college. Some day, I'd like to attend their weddings and have a long relationship with their spouses and and our grandchildren. I want to travel more - there his so much life that I want to be around to experience! And I will need to be healthy to do these things.

Is cured and red meat really worth living a shorter life that may include cancer? Everyone must make their own decision. This is the United States. The Surgeon General's report declared smoking a cancer risk in 1964. Cigarettes were not made illegal even though people know that there is a connection between smoking and cancer.

And, for reasons that I personally can not fathom, people continue to smoke. I expect the same will happen with processed meat - which has a risk factor that is the same as smoking tobacco.

Let that sink in. We are not talking about a slice of Key Lime pie here.

Life is so much more than bacon. And, I would much rather to enjoy a healthy life, than endure a sickly short life.

That's my choice.

Last edited by sheena12; 10-28-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 02:27 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Enjoyed, never endured, IMHO, I'd agree. However, there are some things that are just plane dangerous. A glass of wine? Not dangerous. Perhaps even good for you. An extra scoop of mashed potatoes once in a while, a bagel and cream cheese, baked goods on Christmas, a delicious slice of pizza, an apple pie rum cocktail on a cold Autumn night , some good dark chocolate - none of these are heath foods, but they won't hurt you in moderation.

But, even in moderation, cured processed meat has been deemed unsafe. It will hurt you...even in moderation.

Then there are things that are unsafe to eat or do - in any quantity. Smoking cigarettes, even a few days per week. Taking hard drugs and now - red cured and processed meat.

Having examined the chart, processed meat is so carcinogenic that it was equated to smoking cigarettes. Red meat was just under processed meat

Of course I enjoy life! And food and drink are part of that! But there is more to live than food.

I also want to see my children graduate from college. Some day, I'd like to attend their weddings and have a long relationship with their spouses and and our grandchildren. I want to travel more - there his so much life that I want to be around to experience!

Is cured and red meat really worth living a shorter life that may include cancer? Everyone must make their own decision. This is the United States. The Surgeon General's report declared smoking a cancer risk in 1964. Cigarettes were not made illegal even though people know that there is a connection between smoking and cancer.

And, for reasons that I personally can not fathom, people continue to smoke. I expect the same will happen with processed meat - which has a risk factor that is the same as smoking tobacco.

Life is so much more than bacon. And, I would much rather to enjoy a healthy life, than endure a sickly short life.

That's my choice.
Longevity is not only linked to lifestyle, but also to genetics. Sadly, I come up short in that department. We are not a long lived clan.

I can tell you that if I had a family history of colon cancer, I would not eat red meat or bacon. That's just throwing risk on top of risk.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:15 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Longevity is not only linked to lifestyle, but also to genetics. Sadly, I come up short in that department. We are not a long lived clan.

I can tell you that if I had a family history of colon cancer, I would not eat red meat or bacon. That's just throwing risk on top of risk.
Neither is my family a "long lived clan". However, out of two parents and 6 aunts and uncles, five dies of some form of cancer in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.

My father is 86 and still alive. He stopped eating all red meat the the late 70s.

The rest of those people are dead. Of cancer. Not all colon, but two were.

As for my self, my siblings and cousins - we range in age 35 to 70. We are a mix of pescatarians, vegetarians, vegans, organic poultry eaters on occasion - and people who no longer eat bacon, ham, or sausage, and eat red meat once or twice a year.

We all grew up eating ham sandwiched, bacon for breakfast, and lots of grilled steaks. No more.

We are conscious eaters. And we are alive and well. My eldest cousin eschews all processed meats and has outlived his dad by 12 years!

Personally, nothing tastes so good that I will risk my life for that taste.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:30 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Enjoyed, never endured, IMHO, I'd agree. However, there are some things that are just plain dangerous. A glass of wine? Not dangerous. Perhaps even good for you. An extra scoop of mashed potatoes once in a while, a bagel and cream cheese, baked goods on Christmas, a delicious slice of pizza, an apple pie rum cocktail on a cold Autumn night , some good dark chocolate - none of these are heath foods, but they won't hurt you in moderation.

Of course I enjoy life! And food and drink are part of that! But there is more to life than food.

I also want to see my children graduate from college. Some day, I'd like to attend their weddings and have a long relationship with their spouses and and our grandchildren. I want to travel more - there his so much life that I want to be around to experience! And I will need to be healthy to do these things.

That's my choice.
uh, no. not even the WHO made such a claim..

Quote:
Both smoking and processed meat have been directly linked to cancer, but that doesn’t mean the level of risk is equal. "The classifications reflect how strong the base of evidence is," David Wallinga, senior health officer for the US Natural Resources Defense Council, told Kaleigh Rogers at Motherboard. "It doesn’t say anything about how strong of a carcinogen that particular thing is. It’s not saying eating hot dogs is as potent at causing cancer as being exposed to asbestos."
So processed meat has been classified as carcinogenic. Here

Old 10-28-2015, 10:21 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
then only proven way to extend one's lifespan is severe calorie restriction. they interviewed some of these poor saps who had been living on these starvation diets for years in an attempt to live a couple years longer.

I guess it's advance preparation for either cremation or mummification … ???

Old 10-29-2015, 12:57 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,627,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

I saw something several years ago on TV about people choosing very low calorie diets. May have been the same 60 Minutes report. I remember watching at the time as the really skinny guy was talking about how great his blood pressure was and how he doesn't get sick, etc.

But that guy looked like he was seriously lacking joy in his life. If he drank a beer it probably would have been 30% of his daily calorie intake.

I went on a low calorie diet a few years ago and lost 30 pounds. Yeah, I felt great, but I had to deny myself so many things while I was on the diet that I immediately gained it all back when I went off the diet. I vowed to never do that again and just try to be more judicious about my intake. Well... it's a work in progress, let's just say that.

Food, among other things, brings me enjoyment and what is life without enjoyment?

Old 10-29-2015, 05:18 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I saw something several years ago on TV about people choosing very low calorie diets. May have been the same 60 Minutes report. I remember watching at the time as the really skinny guy was talking about how great his blood pressure was and how he doesn't get sick, etc.

But that guy looked like he was seriously lacking joy in his life. If he drank a beer it probably would have been 30% of his daily calorie intake.

I went on a low calorie diet a few years ago and lost 30 pounds. Yeah, I felt great, but I had to deny myself so many things while I was on the diet that I immediately gained it all back when I went off the diet. I vowed to never do that again and just try to be more judicious about my intake. Well... it's a work in progress, let's just say that.

Food, among other things, brings me enjoyment and what is life without enjoyment?
We only get to eat a finite number of meals in this life. It's important to enjoy each one.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Is this like when they told us eggs were bad ? But now they are good.
Is this like when they told us butter was bad ? But now it's good.
Is this like when they told us whole milk was bad ? But now it's good.

And you folks haven't learned yet ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events