Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the teacher went too far by saying God is a myth?
Yes, she took it too far .... 82 68.33%
No, she acted reasonable in front of the class... 38 31.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:40 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I don't think the teacher should have gone that far. Who is she to tell students this?

Kids were upset and reports say some went home crying....

Mother outraged after daughter is told 'God is a myth' at school - Story | KTBC

Very disrespectful! I believe in God , as does my wife, and our children are being taught about God and how to pray and thank him for things. We believe he is the creator of the universe and Jesus Christ's Father. (trinity). Anyway, I feel bad for the kids , the teacher should not be telling the class about her being atheist, she should keep this ignorance to herself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 12:41 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
What's ironic is that it's the conservatives who are crying foul ... the very ones who *itch about 'political correctness.'
What about this story has ANYTHING to do with political correctness?

Old 10-29-2015, 12:48 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Religion does not belong in school that goes for ANY religion.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:59 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
And, by the way, it isn't a matter of believing whether there is a God, I don't believe it. I know for a fact that their is a God and that teacher should be darn glad that she never tried to indoctrinate my kids.
The Greeks circa 500 BC knew for a fact that there were many Gods.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:29 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
The Greeks circa 500 BC knew for a fact that there were many Gods.

Thank God that Jesus came along and told us that there is only one !

Old 10-29-2015, 01:32 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Does a fact necessarily mean everyone believes it?

I don't think so.
Strange a teacher would even want to go there. What happened to some believe some things, while others do not. Simple as that, rather than give her own opinion which didn't matter in the first place.....progressives tend to tell others what to think, while guarding their own views.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I couldn't vote in the poll.

IF the teacher had told the class that god was a myth, that would have been out of line. But since that isn't what happened, that isn't the case.

Honestly, what "commonly held assertion" could have been used in the place of religion, that wouldn't traumatize kids if they were told it wasn't a fact? Santa? Nope. Tooth Fairy? Nope. Easter Bunny? Nope. Kids are taught that those are as real as a god.

So what examples would you use if you are trying to objectively demonstrate the difference to 7th graders between
1. Provable facts
2. Widely held beliefs
3. Opinions
?

Critical thinking is one of the most important things that schools should be teaching, in my opinion. It has the most "real life" utility of almost anything kids could possibly learn in school. And the difference between fact, opinion and belief is an important part of learning critical thinking.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:40 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Strange a teacher would even want to go there. What happened to some believe some things, while others do not. Simple as that, rather than give her own opinion which didn't matter in the first place.....progressives tend to tell others what to think, while guarding their own views.
She didn't give any opinion. Good grief, read the actual story before commenting.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:42 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
And, by the way, it isn't a matter of believing whether there is a God, I don't believe it. I know for a fact that their is a God and that teacher should be darn glad that she never tried to indoctrinate my kids.
It is no more a fact that God exists than it is that Odin exists or that L. Ron Hubbard was a prophet. Those are subjective beliefs, not facts.

You clearly haven't the foggiest idea what the word fact even means.

Quote:
Does a fact necessarily mean everyone believes it?

I don't think so.
No, it means that it has been factually demonstrated.

Like the fact that elephants exist, the fact that three is greater than two, the fact that the orbits of all planets are ellipses.

Unlike the subjective beliefs that leprechauns or the Judeo-Christian-Islamic deity exists.

Quote:
What about this story has ANYTHING to do with political correctness?
The very definition of political correctness is not saying things that offend people. This teacher's example that belief in God is a subjective opinion and not a demonstrated fact has greatly offended many people - she was very politically incorrect and now some people are very upset that she was not politically correct.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This thread is testament to the fact that the critical thinking skills this teacher was trying to impart are desperately needed.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:43 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Very disrespectful! I believe in God , as does my wife, and our children are being taught about God and how to pray and thank him for things. We believe he is the creator of the universe and Jesus Christ's Father. (trinity). Anyway, I feel bad for the kids , the teacher should not be telling the class about her being atheist, she should keep this ignorance to herself

Where on earth did you see anything that says she even is an atheist yet alone told the kids she was? This was not a discussion about religion for the umpteenth time, it was an assignment on the difference between facts, beliefs, opinions. You even said in your post we "believe" therefore asserting God is a belief, not a proven fact. You would have gotten 100 on the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events