Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the teacher went too far by saying God is a myth?
Yes, she took it too far .... 82 68.33%
No, she acted reasonable in front of the class... 38 31.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:00 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
So are you gonna actually contribute to the discussion at hand or keep it up with atheist rhetoric and your obviously anti-religious agenda? Just wondering.
So, "in reality there is No God." is that statement a........
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 01:04 PM

203 posts, read 193,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Read the article. The teacher made up her own assignment. Probably not the best choice of example but I do think it really got blown out of proportion.
Still blame the district for not having authorized curriculum. There should be standardized information taught to all students the same. I don't really have issue with the teacher saying God is a Myth, it is a subjective answer.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:09 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinOnAJetPlane View Post
Still blame the district for not having authorized curriculum. There should be standardized information taught to all students the same. I don't really have issue with the teacher saying God is a Myth, it is a subjective answer.
LOL …

IOW, you're entirely *okay* with a public school teacher proselytizing, as long as it is YOUR religion that is being taught … (Which is why we have and NEED the First Amendment rather strictly followed ..)

Old 11-05-2015, 01:10 PM

203 posts, read 193,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
LOL …

IOW, you're entirely *okay* with a public school teacher proselytizing, as long as it is YOUR religion that is being taught … (Which is why we have and NEED the First Amendment rather strictly followed ..)
I am a buddhist.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:26 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Not her place to impose her religious or anti-religious views in any way. I disagree with teachers doing either. It's pretty easy to avoid if you try.
That's exactly how I feel. Unless solicited away from the job, keep your theocratic and secular views apart, like Kim Davis failed to do.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:33 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
That certainly would have avoided this whole situation.
I'm not sure how I feel about that though. If everything is going to be standardized and churned out by a small group of people in a little room far far away why not just put the kids in front of a computer and let them take classes on line. Who needs a real live human with thoughts, experiences and creativity and perhaps wisdom to add to the educational experience.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:39 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
These kids are not 5 yr olds. Just like Santa many adults don't believe in God. This topic does not belong in public schools.
God wasn't the topic. The topic was the difference between Facts, Opinions, and Common Assertions.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:41 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Wouldn't this qualify as teaching religion in class, which violates separation of church and state? I think it's okay to teach ABOUT religions in school (assuming there is at least more than one, so the kids are getting a sample of different things), but the teacher should never, ever tell the students what his/her personal belief is on a religious subject.

This teacher should receive some kind of censure from her district.
The teacher said nothing about her personal beliefs, again the assignment was "Are the following statements facts, opinions or common assertions? It is NOT the teachers opinion that the statement "God is real" is a common assertion, it is fact and based on the rules of English language and grammar. For all anyone knows this teacher is a devout Christian.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:54 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I don't think the teacher should have gone that far. Who is she to tell students this?

Kids were upset and reports say some went home crying....

Mother outraged after daughter is told 'God is a myth' at school - Story | KTBC

Gee..... what happened to separation of church and state... yuck yuck.

I demand that the teacher provide equal time to debunking all 4200+ religious traditions in the world.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:08 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The teacher said nothing about her personal beliefs, again the assignment was "Are the following statements facts, opinions or common assertions? It is NOT the teachers opinion that the statement "God is real" is a common assertion, it is fact and based on the rules of English language and grammar. For all anyone knows this teacher is a devout Christian.
Has nothing to do with rules of English language and grammar. That's a totally different thing. The concepts of "facts," "opinions," and "assertions" are not linguistic concepts, they are philosophical concepts--specifically the philosophy of epistemology--which are expressed in, for instance, Greek as well (or even better) than in English.

If you think it's a matter of English grammar, then that's why you haven't had a clue of the rather elementary epistemological responses I've made to you already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events