Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the teacher went too far by saying God is a myth?
Yes, she took it too far .... 82 68.33%
No, she acted reasonable in front of the class... 38 31.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You're quite right.

Fairy-tales have happy endings.

The Yahweh-thing coming back with the Divine Pyromaniac Junior to destroy Earth is not a happy ending.

Which qualifies them as mythology at most.

I'll settle for Horror Story instead of Fairy-Tale, given the Great Destruction planned for us.

1 Kings 11:5 Solomon worshiped the Sidonian goddess Astarte and the detestable Ammonite god Milcom.

2 Kings 17:30 The people from Babylon made Succoth Benoth, the people from Cuth made Nergal, the people from Hamath made Ashima,...

According to the Bible, there are other gods. In fact, more than two dozen gods are named.

Do you believe in them, too?

Why not?

The Bible says they exist and are real, and the Bible is the word of god and the word of god is infallible, right?

Why does the Christian god coldly ignore the desperate pleas of amputees to be healed?

That's a valid question you could ask 7th Graders.

Okay.
You go on a tirade about why God doesn't exist, but yet you dismiss everyone with a different opinion than yours. "Okay."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 11:19 AM

203 posts, read 193,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This statement is odd for the debate at hand......yes you are being ridiculous.

You are really showing your fear of people who question others, not sure why you cling to Obama, like those who cling to the Bible, I guess.

The second item on the paper was the statement "There is a God." "I told her it was a fact, indeed true, based on my religion, and she said that I was incorrect. I was wrong," Jordan told FOX 26.

You can spilt hairs, the question is wrong to begin with. Anyone with faith is going to say it is a fact, anyone with out faith would have an opinion or common assertion. Not sure how this question would even merit a true answer, let alone a grade. For the teacher to know this is an argument every week seems she would have addressed the school asking them to remove it. The teacher claims to be Christian yet jumped at the chance to correct the Christian girl.

I would love for the teacher to address Muslims in the same way.......seems Allah should have been there also, yet too many of you are more afraid of Allah than God. I bet you will be right there saying it is incorrect to corner a Muslim child in this way.
You have no FACTUAL evidence God exists. No email. No phone. No one has ever SEEN him.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:20 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
You go on a tirade about why God doesn't exist, but yet you dismiss everyone with a different opinion than yours. "Okay."
That is a huge irony of the zealous missionary "atheist" sect ...

Old 11-05-2015, 12:01 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
So much for tolerance, huh?

Old 11-05-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah- in reality there is No God. But people need to believe in something so...

Old 11-05-2015, 12:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
Wouldn't this qualify as teaching religion in class, which violates separation of church and state? I think it's okay to teach ABOUT religions in school (assuming there is at least more than one, so the kids are getting a sample of different things), but the teacher should never, ever tell the students what his/her personal belief is on a religious subject.

This teacher should receive some kind of censure from her district.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:49 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Wouldn't this qualify as teaching religion in class, which violates separation of church and state? I think it's okay to teach ABOUT religions in school (assuming there is at least more than one, so the kids are getting a sample of different things), but the teacher should never, ever tell the students what his/her personal belief is on a religious subject.

But that is not what happened.
A statement with the word God in it is not teaching religion. I really beginning to wonder what type church some of you go to or what kind of school you went to that by just using the word in an example is teaching religion.

The teacher was judged, found guilty and crucified by the media before she was even confronted with the girls accusations. Perhaps she should have used a different example of commonplace assertion for the exercise but this hardly merits the witch hunt that ensued.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post

Wrong. Blame the district for supplying the teacher with that hand out. Their curriculum is not decided individually.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:57 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinOnAJetPlane View Post
Yeah- in reality there is No God. But people need to believe in something so...
So are you gonna actually contribute to the discussion at hand or keep it up with atheist rhetoric and your obviously anti-religious agenda? Just wondering.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:59 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinOnAJetPlane View Post
Wrong. Blame the district for supplying the teacher with that hand out. Their curriculum is not decided individually.
Read the article. The teacher made up her own assignment. Probably not the best choice of example but I do think it really got blown out of proportion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events