Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 07:55 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Which are both drugs...
Hilarious, isn't it? Watching a pot-head trying to reason about what is a drug and what isn't. Watching a pot head declare that one drug should be legal while another one illegal and using the reasoning of addiction for both decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
In almost every country in the world, you can buy codeine over the counter, including Canada and Mexico. I came down with the flu in France and went to the corner pharmacy, where they sold me 500 ml of codeine cough syrup that put me out like a light at the label dosage. In the USA we actually have secret police who threaten physicians that prescribe too many pain killers. It's a big impetus for the assisted suicide movement, because doctors are strongly discouraged from prescribing enough pain killers at end of life.
Our whole health care industry is built like the mafia. It's not designed to be user friendly, it's designed to keep the power in the hands of the drug companies and the hospitals.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Among other things, nicotine is an excellent appetite suppressant. A large part of the obesity epidemic in the US has been caused by a big reduction in the number of adults who use tobacco. It also relieves stress and improves attention span. You are just parroting anti-smoking propaganda, which is patently false. If it were not for the negative health effects, it would be hailed as a wonder drug.
Tobacco itself can be healthy for some. It was actually used to help bronchitis and asthma in days past, believe it or not. The Native Americans consider it a sacred plant and a healing plant.

The chemicals that are added to it now make it very unhealthy.

If you believe that some drugs should be legal but not others, it's ridiculous to say that tobacco should be illegal. It's one of the more harmless drugs when it's pure and used properly.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I was trying to say some people who use prescription drugs die even at recommended doses. Pill cos. do not want any competition. They made taxpayers pay $1 trillion for 20,000 phony anti-cannabis studies.

Cannabis is used by people who already had ruined lives & couldn't hold a job. Cannabis has been accused of causing everything it treats, as many researchers could only get funding if they said what pill companies wanted them to say. Useless to society? Isn't it unfair to say that to those who use cannabis because of a condition present since birth?

People who use cannabis for a genuine medicinal reason to treat a terminal illness are not in the majority, and medical marijuana is already legal in most states.

Here I am focusing on the people who smoke it recreationally and want it legalized, but then they turn around and say that all pharmeceutical drugs should be over the counter and illegal to posses without a prescription. Hypocrites they are.

Quote:
Cannabis does *not* create desire for other drugs, & has a plateau effect, where using more does not increase effects. Cannabis does not lower inhibitions.
Despite what you say, I have seen this happen in real life to people I grew up with in high school. It wasn't every one who smoked cannabis, it was the people who were pot heads. They started out with alcohol, cigarettes, and weed, and progressed from there. A few of them died of drug over doses, some of them are complete losers today. They will argue just like you do that cannabis doesn't do anything harmful to them, and they will in fact state that it makes their life worth living and makes them better people. But if you look at their life you see that they are far behind their peers who don't smoke on a regular basis.

Quote:
Alcohol may kill 88,000 in US each year, pills 265,000+, tobacco a similar amount to pills, & now food is killing 500,000+ a year in US, in part because of added toxins. Cannabis kills 0, over 1 billion have used since Genesis with no proven deaths. Why would cannabis make a person homeless? Unless their house was seized by narco squad, I can't imagine. Who is this society you mention, employers? At least 40%+ will hire cannabis users & they tend to have better work records than those who call in sick due to effects of legal drugs. Cannabis is legal & cheap in N Korea, as manual laborers need it to work daily.
It's not about directly killing people, it's just that it is a gateway drug to the harmful drugs. In the United States the way it's used is not anything like N. Korea, or South America, or India (where it's a sacred plant), we know when we talk about it's use in the USA that we are mostly talking about pot heads who like to get high for fun.

I am more of a libertarian on this issue because I think that the drug war is a losing battle and you can't stop someone from killing themselves with drugs if they are determined to do so.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:11 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
[/b][b]

People who use cannabis for a genuine medicinal reason to treat a terminal illness are not in the majority, and medical marijuana is already legal in most states.

Here I am focusing on the people who smoke it recreationally and want it legalized, but then they turn around and say that all pharmeceutical drugs should be over the counter and illegal to posses without a prescription. Hypocrites they are.

Despite what you say, I have seen this happen in real life to people I grew up with in high school. It wasn't every one who smoked cannabis, it was the people who were pot heads. They started out with alcohol, cigarettes, and weed, and progressed from there. A few of them died of drug over doses, some of them are complete losers today. They will argue just like you do that cannabis doesn't do anything harmful to them, and they will in fact state that it makes their life worth living and makes them better people. But if you look at their life you see that they are far behind their peers who don't smoke on a regular basis.

It's not about directly killing people, it's just that it is a gateway drug to the harmful drugs. In the United States the way it's used is not anything like N. Korea, or South America, or India (where it's a sacred plant), we know when we talk about it's use in the USA that we are mostly talking about pot heads who like to get high for fun.

I am more of a libertarian on this issue because I think that the drug war is a losing battle and you can't stop someone from killing themselves with drugs if they are determined to do so.
Nor would I want to... I would hope for a quick existence... Hoping the damage and costs to the rest of us are minimized... Too bad as a drug mj kills so slowly

Old 11-19-2015, 08:22 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
[/b][b]

In the United States the way it's used is not anything like N. Korea, or South America, or India (where it's a sacred plant), we know when we talk about it's use in the USA that we are mostly talking about pot heads who like to get high for fun.
Getting high is getting high -It's no more sacred or special to Indians, North Koreans or South Americans, than it is to me.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:34 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,568 times
I've never seen a study proving deaths. Cannabis oil was in the Holy anointing oils & miracles happened. A woman in India who use it daily lived to at least 120. So many say they've used it daily for 40-50 years & don't seem to be complaining about their health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Nor would I want to... I would hope for a quick existence... Hoping the damage and costs to the rest of us are minimized... Too bad as a drug mj kills so slowly

Old 11-19-2015, 08:47 PM

Cannabis has a very low rate of addiction compared to other drugs such as alcohol, tobacco, heroin, cocaine, meth. A European expert put the cannabis addiction rate at 2%. If a person wants to keep living, doesn't it make sense to choose a non-fatal drug like cannabis, if they need something to relax?

The reason it seems like some use pretty much is because they've researched the safety & nobody dies from it, unlike tobacco cigarettes that will take the life of 1 in 3 & give many more health problems.

Who cares if somebody is addicted to something non-fatal? Should the law limit our time on our computers, calling it a serious addiction?

Quote:
Hilarious, isn't it? Watching a pot-head trying to reason about what is a drug and what isn't. Watching a pot head declare that one drug should be legal while another one illegal and using the reasoning of addiction for both decisions.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Ever watch the TV interviews of people coming out of medical marijuana dispensaries?

See any of them that are doing more than heading for the nearest bong jamboree?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Cannabis makes people non-violent if anything does. And stoners don't bother let alone threaten strangers. Why not live & let live? The only drug I've heard of that makes people violent & significantly increases crashes is alcohol. I would not lecture anyone on whatever drug(s) they choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
Wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events