Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 08:59 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I never said all people with bipolar have the same symptoms. Please re-read the post.

A recent Cochrane review of over 10,000 patients with bipolar showed that 87% of them have flight of ideas and visions of grandeur at some point in their illness. That's not a stereotype, that's a fact.
That's bipolar type 1. Read up on type 2.

Specifically look at mixed episodes in bipolar type 2.

Last edited by NLVgal; 03-06-2016 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 05:42 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:

A recent Cochrane review of over 10,000 patients with bipolar showed that 87% of them have flight of ideas and visions of grandeur at some point in their illness.
Watching the short video clip, it is easy to imagine how this may be what sidetracked her.

Many with a bipolar diagnosis, regardless of type, manage to hold their lives together when they are younger.

Bursts of energetic activity whether it is partying all night or intense skating practices or ??? are viewed as the intensity of youth.

Visions of grandeur -- who doesn't believe they are capable of extraordinary things when they are in their twenties? In our twenties, we pledge lifelong devotion to men we wouldn't give the time of day to when we are in our fifties. Would Jerry Hall have married Rupert Murdoch thirty years ago? Not on your life. But it makes good sense now. Not saying that Jerry Hall has a bipolar mood disorder at all. Just that the decision to build a life with an unfaithful rock star would make no sense at this stage of her life.

Young women with bipolar diagnosis are often sought-after partners. They can be fun loving, make-love-all-weekend, party-hardy women.

Middle aged women doing the same just wear you out.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 03-07-2016 at 06:18 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 02:07 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Gotta be a lot to the story. Makes me hurt to read it.

On the other hand I want to find her fiance and choke the livin' crap out of him!
Who in the hell does he think he is, asking the woman he loves to live like that? There is no way in HELL I am going to ask my wife to live in a bug infested anything! If he is too stupid or too lazy to work his way out of a tough situation then he doesn't deserve a life partner of any sort.

She should find someone who can and will assist her - and this guy with "alcohol and anger" issues ain't never gonna do it.

If one of you is down the other should help. If you're both down then you should dig in and work together. That's what partnerships are about.

Someone should explain this to both of them.

Oh the irony.....

Old 03-07-2016, 03:15 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,113,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Not everyone who has bipolar is disorganized or given to fanciful thoughts. Please don't spread misinformation. People with mood disorders have enough hurdles without people throwing around stereotypes.
Racing thoughts are very, very common.

Mick

Old 03-07-2016, 05:56 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Racing thoughts are very, very common.

Mick
Racing, but not necessarily fanciful, or delusions of grandeur. A person with type 2 is likely to have anxiety, so those racing thoughts are more like " what's the worse case scenario ? That's exactly what will probably happen." when in a manic phase.

I'm not saying that people with bipolar don't ever display bizarre behavior. I'm saying that Platon's particular style of communication online made it sound like people with bipolar disorder are all given to disorganization, extended manic periods, etc. That is not the case. That is likely the case for this particular patient.

It's not the point I'm taking issue with. It's the communication style. The post itself.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:12 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Somebody call the whaaaaaaambulance.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:44 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,347 times
I wonder if she could have done better if she had been guided to a less demanding medical specialty once it became apparent that her grades did not match her skating?

Old 03-10-2016, 03:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,085 times
Quote:
She has bipolar disorder.

Folks with bipolar are incredibly unorganized, and they have fanciful ideas about how they are going to "change the world" yet are so distractable that they can't accomplish anything.

What's really curious to me is how she held things together so well while she was a skater. My guess is that her being a world class skater was enough of a stroke to her underlying "I have to be the best" persona that it focused her efforts in that one area instead of trying to be great at everything which is what typical bipolars do.

Once she left the "glamorous" world of figure skating and went to a real job as a surgeon, my guess is that her bipolar got the best of her because lets face it, being an orthopedic surgeon (although a great job) is nothing compared to being a world famous Olympic athlete.

What's really sad is that Debi Thomas could get her medical license back and become an orthpedic surgeon again, but the medical board won't allow that to happen until she can prove she is mentally stable and has sought out treatment for her bipolar disorder.

She refuses to do that, so no medical board will reinstate her.

The friends and family around her are failing her in an incredible way, and it's a sad sight to see.
Ding Ding we have a winner. Figured there was a major underlying issue the article neglected to mention.

Amazing and sad how badly untreated mental illness can screw up someone's life. And generally the lives of their family members as well.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:37 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Recent podcast linked from her facebook page

PodOmatic | Best Free Podcasts

A lot of it is crap. I would skip to about the 40 minute mark where she talks about her experience in the medical profession.

It sounds like she was insubordinate in the hospital employment environment with frequent complaining about work conditions. She talks about getting blackballed through a process called the sham peer review and having difficulty getting jobs.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:33 PM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times
Quote:
She has bipolar disorder.
Are you saying this because you are familiar with her and she has been diagnosed, or is this an opinion?

Edit: no insult intended
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events