Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 08:38 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times

Advertisements

Debi Thomas reveals she is now broke and living in a bed bug-infested trailer | Daily Mail Online

Former Olympic bronze medalist, engineering degree, orthopedic surgeon, now destitute and living in a bug-infested trailer because of two divorces. Huh? Gotta be more to her story than is being related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 08:47 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
I suspect this has more to do with it than the divorces:
Quote:
Before opening her practice, Thomas lost two jobs over what she says were disagreements with colleagues. She said this was due to her own high expectations as a surgeon.

Before turning to Vanzant and the OWN network, she started a GoFundMe account, pitching a variety of start-up businesses she hoped to receive donations for.

In a video embedded on the account, Thomas says she developed it as an 'emergency fund' for her family with the aim of restoring 'financial stability after severe sudden financial losses over the past couple of years associated with a combination of financially crippling life challenges'.

However, after 10 months, she has raised only $2,000.
She probably has majorly dysfunctional people skills. It is a shame, my daughter wanted to be just like her after watching her in the Olymipcs. Glad we missed that boat. She is, I noticed, still beautiful.

Based on the current partner, I would guess she has practiced less than stellar mate selection in her life.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I suspect this has more to do with it than the divorces:
She probably has majorly dysfunctional people skills. It is a shame, my daughter wanted to be just like her after watching her in the Olymipcs. Glad we missed that boat. She is, I noticed, still beautiful.

Based on the current partner, I would guess she has practiced less than stellar mate selection in her life.
I wonder if she lost her MD license.

Yes, that current partner doesn't seem to be the Poster Boy for Mr. Right.

That's a shame; imagine all the work she had to put in for her skating and her education.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
There, but for good fortune, goes any of us.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:50 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Debi Thomas reveals she is now broke and living in a bed bug-infested trailer | Daily Mail Online

Former Olympic bronze medalist, engineering degree, orthopedic surgeon, now destitute and living in a bug-infested trailer because of two divorces. Huh? Gotta be more to her story than is being related.
In a country that loves to give Moms custody, I gotta wonder why she is non-custodial.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:50 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
Just watched her Go Fund Me video on You Tube. She is living is some sort of alternative reality, wanting to change the world while she herself lives in a bed bug infested trailer. Struck me that she is blaming "the system" for her failures.

Her second husband and father of her son is an attorney. That could explain some of the financial loss, but not all of it. A good lawyer on her side would have retained funds.

I suspect there is a substance abuse as a contributing factor for the situation she is currently in now. A mother who is an orthopedic surgeon and former world class skater doesn't lose custody of their child. Much, much more to this story.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:28 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Sad, and will be interesting if we ever get close to the real truth because her story smells of.........

Old 11-08-2015, 07:45 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Something is weird here. In my experience, most surgeouns are difficult people with humongous egos. If she couldn't get along in that atmosphere, there's more to the story. Anyway, I hope she gets it together. She was such a role model by not neglecting her education while skating (something I think is sorely lacking in figure skating today).

Old 11-08-2015, 08:02 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

Gotta be a lot to the story. Makes me hurt to read it.

On the other hand I want to find her fiance and choke the livin' crap out of him!
Who in the hell does he think he is, asking the woman he loves to live like that? There is no way in HELL I am going to ask my wife to live in a bug infested anything! If he is too stupid or too lazy to work his way out of a tough situation then he doesn't deserve a life partner of any sort.

She should find someone who can and will assist her - and this guy with "alcohol and anger" issues ain't never gonna do it.

If one of you is down the other should help. If you're both down then you should dig in and work together. That's what partnerships are about.

Someone should explain this to both of them.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:51 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Forced to live in a bug infested trailer? No one has access to pesticides??

Move out for a couple of days, bomb the crap out of the trailer, let it air out and move back in. Victim mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events