Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 05:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The threat is VERY real . It a matter of when, not if, something goes down. These terrorists are plumb serious. They are raving fanatics, and the more people they can kill at one time, the better they feel. They want shock factor, so killing children is high on their list. They want to sow fear. By killing children, women, and any who are deemed to be a "soft" target, they are showcasing their ruthlessness. Its an integral part of how they operate.

They believe, correctly I'll add, that Western resolve does not equal their own, in the vein of what we are willing to do to fight back. We are not willing to stoop to their levels of callousness and brutality. "We worry over "collateral damage" a d destroy I g "historic" sites. They don't. But use of human shields and hiding in ancient mosques works for them.

An armed citizenry, the militia, if you will, is one thing we can do, that will be effective. We can't control policy in the military ROE, but we can be ready to fight back where we live, which is where they want to hit us. In so many words, the militia has been called up. Those of us who realize what the purpose of the militia is, need to be prepared. Expect the unexpected. The threat (more of a promise) is quite real, and quite serious.
Well said. Though I would change "stoop to" to "rise to". The level of violence they're ready, willing, and able to use to achieve their goals is not below ours but very much higher.

We need to prosecute this just like a "real" war by their rules otherwise we'll most likely never win or it will take forever.
You have to make these people either fear you or very,very dead. Those are the ONLY two actions that will bring this to an end.
Shoot 'em with "pig" tipped bullets, leave the dead with ham sandwiches in their mouths etc.

Have we learned nothing from all the wars we've fought against highly vicious people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:25 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would start with any of their strongholds and work my way out from there. You're right, our enemy is more dispersed today than they were back then. But I don't think that this fact negates my belief that the application of overwhelming force is the best -- maybe the only -- solution to this problem. Or, as Theodore Roosevelt so colorfully put it, "If you've got them by the [male private parts], their hearts and minds will follow."
Except that's exactly what we said about Afghanistan and Iraq, and here we are still there almost 15 years later, and in that time is when Isis has grown to the numbers it now has, and there are more terrorists in the region than there ever was. Why is it going to be different this time?

In the meantime, we are still woefully unprepared to protect our power grids and infrastructure, which are ancient and very vulnerable, and when airport security was tested they had a 95% failure rate in detecting explosives and other weapons. Just saying we need to start putting money on real, effective prevention more so than just reaction after the fact, too.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:32 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,693 times
Soft-targets need to watch for these idiots. I know were I would not go or perhaps these place should be packing themselves.

Effin' Obama called what happened in France a "setback" !!!!. 129 DEAD AND 350 wounded or criticial condition.
He really needs to be taken out of office.

P.S. - No party affiliation

Old 11-17-2015, 06:38 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professa95 View Post
Maybe we should stop being an imperial force the world over and American blood won't be the sweetest blood. It's so funny when people make the claim that these terrorist attacks are because they are jealous of our western way of life when that couldn't be further from the truth.
This is not the reason they are wanting to take us over. You and the President can keep thinking this or finally realize it is about their religion, not Christians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I think it was a joke about our politicians and not our 5th graders. I do not find THAT at all humorous but I will tell you I am sickened by both parties and their vocal supporters.

I live here and am not concerned about ISIS.
This is how I saw it.......the person just probably needed to add the kind of people that needed to go! Surely, not as if the President is making even he's part of the US safe. Starting to wonder if those WH break ins were just random break ins???

Old 11-17-2015, 06:43 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Except that's exactly what we said about Afghanistan and Iraq, and here we are still there almost 15 years later, and in that time is when Isis has grown to the numbers it now has, and there are more terrorists in the region than there ever was. Why is it going to be different this time?

In the meantime, we are still woefully unprepared to protect our power grids and infrastructure, which are ancient and very vulnerable, and when airport security was tested they had a 95% failure rate in detecting explosives and other weapons. Just saying we need to start putting money on real, effective prevention more so than just reaction after the fact, too.
The reason that we're not prevailing in Afghanistan and Iraq is the same reason we didn't win in Vietnam: we lack the will to win. We hobble ourselves with highly restrictive rules of engagement that result in us fighting with one hand tied behind our backs. We worry too much about "world opinion" and not being "disproportionate" in our use of force. Meanwhile, our enemies show no scruples about attacking us in any way they are capable, including the deliberate targeting of innocent civilians.

Imagine, for a moment, if we had fought in the "modern" way in World War II. The Japanese sunk or damaged eight battleships at Pearl Harbor, so all we need to do is go drop bombs on eight of Japan's battleships, and presto, we're even and done. Do you think we would have won the war that way? No way! We won because we stopped at NOTHING -- up to and including the total destruction of major cities, by way of atomic as well as conventional bombing -- to bring them to their knees. And it's going to require that level of national will and effort to win this war as well.

Having said all that, I do agree with you about the need to strengthen our power grids and infrastructure.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:49 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what 'racist user name'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What does "uggabugga" mean?
The word reminds me of what the stereotypical jungle savages say when they first encounter the White Man in any number of old black-and-white movies about explorers.

I'm curious if that's what the poster who bears that name had in mind when he/she picked it, so I'm hoping that he/she will come back and let us know.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:58 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
When you lose people in terrorist attacks, you won't find it so funny. I promise.
Possibly those who vote in people not willing to deal with this need to rethink voting for the Mellow guy and start looking at leaders who get the dangers we face with terrorist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm actually pretty surprised that we haven't had more terrorist attacks on American soil.
Look how many will be caught off guard. Along with a President who is blaming politicians and the American people for the woes of the world. We have more people on drugs and doing drugs, our country is a freakin mess. We are becoming less patriotic and less Godly. When the song "Imagine" was played in the streets of Paris, made me wonder is this really the song to bring people together.

Young people may want to rethink ways of protecting themselves at concerts and such. Getting rid of guns is not our answer, possibly learning to use them is what will keep them safe.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
The word reminds me of what the stereotypical jungle savages say when they first encounter the White Man in any number of old black-and-white movies about explorers.

I'm curious if that's what the poster who bears that name had in mind when he/she picked it, so I'm hoping that he/she will come back and let us know.
Welcome to UggaBugga.com...The Official Web Site of the Campers of Camp Harmony.* UGGA BUGGA!

Urban Dictionary: ugga bugga

https://www.facebook.com/uGGabuGGa-C...7306187348140/

Play Playtech Ugga Bugga Multi-Spin Slot Free

https://paradisewin.com/en/vegas/gam.../pt-ugga-bugga

https://youtu.be/JkrD0w7Ag8g

Hope this helps you with the many different meanings of the word "uggabugga."

Old 11-17-2015, 07:08 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
The reason that we're not prevailing in Afghanistan and Iraq is the same reason we didn't win in Vietnam: we lack the will to win. We hobble ourselves with highly restrictive rules of engagement that result in us fighting with one hand tied behind our backs. We worry too much about "world opinion" and not being "disproportionate" in our use of force. Meanwhile, our enemies show no scruples about attacking us in any way they are capable, including the deliberate targeting of innocent civilians.

Imagine, for a moment, if we had fought in the "modern" way in World War II. The Japanese sunk or damaged eight battleships at Pearl Harbor, so all we need to do is go drop bombs on eight of Japan's battleships, and presto, we're even and done. Do you think we would have won the war that way? No way! We won because we stopped at NOTHING -- up to and including the total destruction of major cities, by way of atomic as well as conventional bombing -- to bring them to their knees. And it's going to require that level of national will and effort to win this war as well.

Having said all that, I do agree with you about the need to strengthen our power grids and infrastructure.
It's pretty hard to use excessive force and kill thousands of people with all out force when the country is question hasn't actually done anything to us to warrant invasion, and the excuse being tossed out for invading is to 'help the Iraqi people' by taking out Saddam and giving them Democracy. Afghanistan I could agree with you, but the invasion of Iraq was misguided and rushed into and resulted in massive destabilization, and attacking them full force would have made clear the Bush and Cheney were lying out of their a**es regarding what our purpose was there.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:09 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
They will make sure to warn Obama to not be there when it happens, since he is a good friend to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events