Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 11:47 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,492,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Good, they need some clean up there.
That's not funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:50 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Again, easier just to bypass the comments instead of ginning up outrage that won't do anything, especially when you realize it wasn't a serious comment.

People DO joke (and make serious nasty comments) about events that killed my "loved ones" frequently aka Hitler's extermination of jews.
If I allowed everything said outrage me I'd NEVER get any sleep or peace...
Then those people are asshats. If you tolerate that, that's on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
First the location does matter.
Fine, let's start with your house. Never did like Fairfax. Too many gun-humpers there. Crop-dusting will show them that their guns are ineffectual. They need a little wake-up call. Yep, boy howdy.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:51 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
A couple of people have posted references to Dresden [carpet and fire bombing], returning to WWII tactics, and even testing the imperial colonizing theory in the Middle East.

You have raised interesting concepts.

The problem with colonizing the Middle East is they don't have anything we want anymore, because we have as much or more oil as they do. The are also a thoroughly different culture. Not thinking colonizing the place would work.

Flattening Raqqa a'la Dresden? That kind of aggression does win wars and - not surprisingly - is now considered a war crime (because of the number of civilians who would necessarily be killed). That's why we didn't flatten Hanoi during Vietnam - the war the US lost.

But here is another lesson we learned in WWII: civilians are responsible for their governments. When it came time to take the bodies out of the concentration camps, allied forces made the German citizens do it - because they allowed their government to commit the atrocities.

So should the civilians in Raqqa (and the other ISIS-held areas of Syria and Iraq) be held accountable for their government and die along with them, or should they be rescued from their oppressors?

Interesting conundrum...
Yes, it is an interesting conundrum, however, when your dealing with a group like ISIS or Al Qada (who don't give a damn about war crimes) your going to have to show them that their action will not be tolerated. You give them NO safe haven. If the goal it to destroy ISIS, then by all means destroy them, you not going to destroy them with rhetoric.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:54 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,485,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Fine, let's start with your house. Never did like Fairfax. Too many gun-humpers there. Crop-dusting will show them that their guns are ineffectual. They need a little wake-up call. Yep, boy howdy.
Sure, I am not scared of internet threats. If this was written better I may have found it funny but it is just sad.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Sure, I am not scared of internet threats. If this was written better I may have found it funny but it is just sad.
Well, then I guess you will just have to be sad. Stop trying to squelch my dialog.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:58 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,284,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It was a tongue in cheek response, anyone that can think for themselves would see it as such
There is nothing funny or light-hearted about that comment, especially to those of us who live in the DC metro area.

It's disgusting.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:00 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,485,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Well, then I guess you will just have to be sad. Stop trying to squelch my dialog.
That sounds painful!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:03 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,233,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professa95 View Post
Maybe we should stop being an imperial force the world over and American blood won't be the sweetest blood. It's so funny when people make the claim that these terrorist attacks are because they are jealous of our western way of life when that couldn't be further from the truth.

We aren't an imperial force. it could be argued that we sometimes have too much involvement in the Middle East, but we aren't imperialists.

Having said that, ISIS and their ideology has far more to do with Islam and us. We're just a convenient excuse for them.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Why is there no group from other religions?
Yes, religion is not to blame... blah blah blah...
Meh, other religions have their nutcases, too. At different points in history, different nutcases from different religions were more pronounced than others. See: The Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials, etc.

There's always the debate about whether it's religion the interpretation of religion. But religion is a human construct, so I'm going with both. Humans created religion, and have wielded it and used it as justification for some heinous things throughout history. I think the world would be better off without religion entirely, precisely because of the things people do to each other in its name and I'd be okay with one less opportunity for exclusion and ignorance, but that's just me.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:35 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Why is there no group from other religions?
Yes, religion is not to blame... blah blah blah...
There were times in the past where religions did terrible things to non-belivers, however, most of those religions have gone through reformations that delt with the problem of fanatics.

It's high time that Islam does the same. Muslims need to band together to reform their fanatic groups into a more moderate group, for they are the only ones that can accomplish this. Fanatic Islam is a world wide problem and it may just have to take the world as a whole to force them into not allowing fanatic Islam exist.

What do you think would would happen if, countries refused to do business with Islamic countries that harbor Islamic extremist? Economics can go a long way in changing one attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events