Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:36 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,277 times

Advertisements

Last time I'm aware of our government having shut down a 'place of worship' was in Waco Texas in '93; to mixed reviews IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:39 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
they'll go somewhere else, or leave, or bomb something, and then would be killed or deported. the radicals don't care anyway, they can be radical out of mosques, they don't need them to spread their hate, they have internet, cellphones, etc.
Exactly. Exactly.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 AM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
the mosques they want to close are the radical ones, where the radical imams have preached, not the other mosques. and it's not like it's a big deal since i'm sure many others will be build in the future. since what happened in paris, people can't seem to hide their dislike of france anymore, maybe a section should be created just for this, will be popular i bet.
Keep in mind that many people are openly hostile to the French in general because of their holier than thou attitudes. Go to many other parts of the world, and Americans are treated wonderfully aside from the local people being genuinely nice. Yet many a visitor to France tells a tale of the French people being rude, condescending, etc.
I personally have not been there yet, and my only experience has been with a limited number of French I've known or met. Most seem fine to me, but I cannot honestly say I have ever had a French friend.

Generally speaking, the French tend to be very liberal politically, and have lectured us on many things over the years. That will breed resentment, some of which I have felt myself. Still, I bear no ill will toward any individuals I've met (well maybe a few French Canadians) .

Anyway, I feel sorry for what has happened to them, even though some of it was caused by their own liberal laissez faire attitude. Needless to say they should have seen the writing on the wall after the riots that occurred a while back.
Still they have my support/sympathy for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the terrorist animals decided to kill innocent people. Had they targeted the government via the military that would at least not have been the cowardly attack they perpetrated against innocent people.

The other thing the French have going for them is historical, when they helped us defeat the British and become a nation. Granted we have paid them back in spades having gotten their bacon out of the fire in the big wars, but still they get credit, as I do not forget favors or history.

____

Regarding the closing of mosques, keep in mind that if terrorist rhetoric is being taught, those places are only brick & mortar structures, not holy places of worship.

So if mosques have religious people teaching and worshiping, that is not the type of place I suspect Trump or others are talking about. However, if it is merely a gathering place for people to (under the cover of religion) use the structure to plan attacks against the very country that gives them sanctuary, then those structures do not have a religious purpose, and should be reduced to rubble.
I'd say the same thing regarding any church or synagogue used for a similar purpose.

`

`

Old 11-19-2015, 11:42 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

He wouldn't have even considered saying that if the issue were "radical" Christian denominations suspected of, say, bombing abortion clinics.

If Christians were bombing abortion clinics they would be shut down and jailed.
If Jews were talking about killing and bombing they would be targeted.

At least in America we go after terrorists and others that really upset society. Remember the DC sniper? There was a man hunt for him and he was finally caught.
If the same happened in the middle east it would be talked about and tolerated.

Muslims are different and radical muslims are dangerous so why not keep an eye on them and shut them down before they cause problems?

This Summer I found a hornets nest in my shed. I let them live but as it grew and more hornets came along they started to threaten me every time I got the lawnmower out so they had to go. I destroyed their home. The same thing should be done with radical muslims.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:52 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Keep in mind that many people are openly hostile to the French in general because of their holier than thou attitudes. Go to many other parts of the world, and Americans are treated wonderfully aside from the local people being genuinely nice. Yet many a visitor to France tells a tale of the French people being rude, condescending, etc.
I personally have not been there yet, and my only experience has been with a limited number of French I've known or met. Most seem fine to me, but I cannot honestly say I have ever had a French friend.

Generally speaking, the French tend to be very liberal politically, and have lectured us on many things over the years. That will breed resentment, some of which I have felt myself. Still, I bear no ill will toward any individuals I've met (well maybe a few French Canadians) .

Anyway, I feel sorry for what has happened to them, even though some of it was caused by their own liberal laissez faire attitude. Needless to say they should have seen the writing on the wall after the riots that occurred a while back.
Still they have my support/sympathy for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the terrorist animals decided to kill innocent people. Had they targeted the government via the military that would at least not have been the cowardly attack they perpetrated against innocent people.

The other thing the French have going for them is historical, when they helped us defeat the British and become a nation. Granted we have paid them back in spades having gotten their bacon out of the fire in the big wars, but still they get credit, as I do not forget favors or history.

`
if you come to france, don't go to paris, come elsewhere first, in the southwest where i live for example. i don't really care if people dislike us, i'm born with this knowledge and always assume everyone hates me unless they say they don't. the sad thing here is that too many people believe lies and stereotypes, they go to france (paris), met someone, had a bad experience with him/her, and go back home soon after and tell everyone, but the thing is, that to me it's not suprising, you can make the stereotypes comes true, you just have to come with the good attitudes, be rude, direspectful, like i said before, considering paris like your backyard, speak english to everyone, complain about everything, oh it's not like that in the US, oh this was better at home. problem is, people hate us/dislike us, for things of the past, or for things our government do/did and we have no control over, this is, to me, very stupid. i met plenty of "bad americans" here, full of stereotypes, but still, in the end, i'm not generalizing, like some english speaking people like so much to do and i'm always glad to met a nice and open minded american on the internet. i guess irl things are different, here it's easier to tell what you think, you don't have to hide your feelings.

end off-topic//

Old 11-19-2015, 11:58 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Too late for France- the horse is already out of the barn. Or should I say that the Trojan Horse has already arrived.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:01 PM

679 posts, read 812,034 times
In WW2, the Germans used a monastery in Italy as a observation post to call in accurate artillery fire on our forces. We had no problems blowing it up and leveling it so they couldn't use it to kill us. I don't see much difference between radicalized mosques and occupied monastery.

We sometimes overthink these things.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:03 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Too late for France- the horse is already out of the barn. Or should I say that the Trojan Horse has already arrived.
can you be even more dramatic?

Old 11-19-2015, 12:13 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
In WW2, the Germans used a monastery in Italy as a observation post to call in accurate artillery fire on our forces. We had no problems blowing it up and leveling it so they couldn't use it to kill us.
Suggest you read up on the bombing of Monte Cassino and see how well that actually worked.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:24 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,955 times
It only took 12 years to go from freedom fries to Francophiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events