Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 01:06 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
What's so horrific?

I don't think the video in and of itself is horrific. The family having to deal with this plastered all over the news for the next 2 months will be the horrific part, I think.

When did it become normal to settle civilly before a criminal trial? Admittedly, I haven't paid that much attention to the news lately, but this is the second case I've seen where this has happened. The other one was the Kerrick incident in Charlotte. Seems like presumption of guilt before a criminal trial even takes place.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:13 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The DA will screw up the case. Why would the prosecutors screw up the case they are prosecuting? Because the police is one of their own. DA will present a weak case. Jury will end up with reasonable doubts. Guy will walk. No one is the wiser.
I'm not sure I 100% agree with this. DA's like to WIN; yes, they do work with the officers for the most part but unless there is a extraordinary relationship - I don't think the DA would throw the case on purpose. Juries are very reluctant to charge a police offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I don't think the video in and of itself is horrific. The family having to deal with this plastered all over the news for the next 2 months will be the horrific part, I think.

When did it become normal to settle civilly before a criminal trial
? Admittedly, I haven't paid that much attention to the news lately, but this is the second case I've seen where this has happened. The other one was the Kerrick incident in Charlotte. Seems like presumption of guilt before a criminal trial even takes place.
Happens all the time. IF the City thinks there is any way possible the officer is going to be found guilty in a criminal trial - they will go ahead and settle. Lest the 5 million suddenly become 20 million.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:00 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Tasers were invented to avoid this.
Tasers won't stop someone on pcp, meth, bath salts etc and neither will 9mm. Thats why cops have to fire 16 rounds. If everyone carried.45 acp we wouldn't have these problems

Old 11-27-2015, 02:27 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Tasers won't stop someone on pcp, meth, bath salts etc and neither will 9mm. Thats why cops have to fire 16 rounds. If everyone carried.45 acp we wouldn't have these problems

Hmm. I saw him drop after, what....the second round? I don't think his body moving around from bullet impacts counts as resisting arrest.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:54 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This is exactly the reason some people are resistant to body-cams for LEOs - they mean more murderers will be held to account for the murders they commit.

A Chicago Cop Is The Latest To Be Charged Using Video Evidence | FiveThirtyEight

Baloney.

More baloney.

And more baloney still.

Spare us the 'not tainting the jury pool was their real concern' excuses.
More set-in-stone, anti-cop opinions masquerading as facts from someone who has never been there.

Let's see... my copy of the constitution ... (flip...flip...flip...) Nope.

Bill of Rights... (scan....read... scan...) Not there, either.

Oath of Office... (read... recite...) Uh-uh.

Intelligence Oversight laws and procedures (Read,... read..., read...) Shucks. Nothing.

I can't find any exception for the willfully blind, the intentionally ignorant or the just plain pathetically anti-government, so I guess I'll have to protect you, too.

Ever thought of becoming a defense attorney? Their ranks are filled with guys like you, and I enjoyed the heck out of beating them in court - every time.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:19 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
The cop was definitely trigger happy and should be charged accordingly. Murder in the first won't stick because the prosecutors would have to prove premeditated murder. I see him being found guilty of a lesser charge such as manslaughter.

The truth is, if this teen wasn't out breaking into cars, brandishing a weapon and not complying with police orders, he would be alive today. Still no excuse for the cop to fire more than 2 shots to immobilize the teen but at the same time this teen did himself no favors.

The cop was arrested, charged and held without bail. Isn't that what BLM and many blacks were protesting about? Justice!? Well what's the problem? They're getting their justice. Why do they seem more angry about this than they do about the 9yr old boy who was lured into an alley and executed? Here we had an innocent boy on his way from school shot down by fellow blacks. Didn't hear a peep from the BLM movement.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:05 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
question: when did it become illegal to have a pocket knife, i did not see or hear him attacking anybody. he wasnt near anybody at all till they killed him.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:14 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
The cop was definitely trigger happy and should be charged accordingly. Murder in the first won't stick because the prosecutors would have to prove premeditated murder. I see him being found guilty of a lesser charge such as manslaughter.

The truth is, if this teen wasn't out breaking into cars, brandishing a weapon and not complying with police orders, he would be alive today. Still no excuse for the cop to fire more than 2 shots to immobilize the teen but at the same time this teen did himself no favors.

The cop was arrested, charged and held without bail. Isn't that what BLM and many blacks were protesting about? Justice!? Well what's the problem? They're getting their justice. Why do they seem more angry about this than they do about the 9yr old boy who was lured into an alley and executed? Here we had an innocent boy on his way from school shot down by fellow blacks. Didn't hear a peep from the BLM movement.
Because that horrific event does not play into their 'we are the victims' mindset.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:08 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
question: when did it become illegal to have a pocket knife, i did not see or hear him attacking anybody. he wasnt near anybody at all till they killed him.
How about not portraying the deceased as a helpless child wandering around with a knife he used for whittling.

The cops responded to investigate reports of a guy carrying a knife and breaking into vehicles in a trucking yard. When confronted, McDonald sliced the tire on a patrol vehicle and damaged its windshield. Then, Mr. PCP jogged/walked away from police after numerous orders to drop the knife.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:37 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
There are laws in several states against carrying pocket knives. It all depends on what you're carrying and what your intent is.

I've only watched the video once and didn't really analyze it closely, but law enforcement can shoot a fleeing violent felon who poses a threat to the public. If this kid was just running around and didn't threaten anyone with the knife or run toward anyone, I think the officer is in trouble. If the person moved towards anyone, I'd say it's a good shoot.

Either way, we need to stop jumping on the media bandwagon of bashing police every time they do anything. It's hard to work a job where you have to make split-second decisions, and everyone is trying to record you and crucify you when your split-second decision is wrong. That's why law enforcement is afforded additional protections... they have to deal with the worst in society with only the information they've been given before arriving on the scene. Police are people too, and they make mistakes. We call people racist for blaming an entire race for the actions of a few, but we're tripping over ourselves to say law enforcement needs an overhaul and they're all corrupt when law enforcement is only reacting to what criminals do. Society wants to defend criminals now. Soon, the best and brightest won't want to be police anymore due to ingratitude, and society will gets what's left. I've already seen law enforcement officers telling younger people not to get into that field after they ask for advice.

Last edited by Geneyus; 11-27-2015 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events