Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 01:38 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
That's because 100 years from now, we'll still be experiencing racism. Just the way it is!

Racism is, and always will exist in this country. AmeriKKKa was founded in deep-rooted racism and hatred toward "the other." It's not going anywhere any time soon, unfortunately.
I suggest you read history books and learn a little about what America was founded on. I mean long before there were blacks in this country. Then, read up a little bit about our migration history from say, 1875 to 1935, who were migrating here, and why.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:41 AM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
People just HATE to live with a reputation earned by others who have a superficial resemblance.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:30 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
That's because 100 years from now, we'll still be experiencing racism. Just the way it is!

Racism is, and always will exist in this country. AmeriKKKa was founded in deep-rooted racism and hatred toward "the other." It's not going anywhere any time soon, unfortunately.
One excuse after another!!

Old 11-26-2015, 06:49 AM

457 posts, read 645,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Qualified blacks don't have any trouble finding jobs. These protesters are still going to be crying in 10 years when they learn their handout African Studies degrees don't get them a job.
Nice assumption there, that everyone black who can't find a job with their degree "must have" majored in some useless fluff major. No black person ever majors in a STEM field, now do they?! Again, nice ASSumption.

If you majored in Nuclear Physics from MIT but you even "look" black in the interview, you won't get the job. You could be Latino, Native American, Paciifc Islander, Middle Eastern, some other race not "black," and it still won't matter. Job interviewers see skin colour first and "that's all she wrote." Especially if you "sounded white" over the telephone and "looked white" on paper. If everything about you "on paper" smacks "suburban raised, educated, middle-class" translation WHITE and then you show up for the interview with brown skin (we call that "playing 'guess who's coming to the interview'") then, NO you do not either "have the same opportunities as whites."

Where the hell are white people getting that rubbish, anyway?!

Old 11-26-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
People just HATE to live with a reputation earned by others who have a superficial resemblance.
You mean misperception discrimination. Being mistaken for a race/people you're NOT and then having it presumed that you have the characteristics of THAT race/those people. Based on nothing more than skin colour. Not on any real perception of how you dress, act, walk, talk, carry yourself, speak, nothing.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
How many of you teach in a school that has a large percentage of blacks?
Or, have friends that do?

Ask them. The responses you will hear will make the hair on the back of your neck stand straight.
One good friend teaches in a middle school that is majority minority, yet in a fairly good academic district.
The responses they get from parents are beyond pathetic. The attitudes of the students, appalling. The students sit in class, if they even sit at all to listen to the instruction, refuse to do the work. Parents do not care and tell the teacher it is their fault. How is it the teachers fault for the student not doing the work? I am not even talking about the work outside of class, that is an entirely different subject! The parent(s), grandparent(s), friend, aunt, whoever is "raising" the kid(s) simply do not care. It is the 8 hours of the day the kid is not at home causing them trouble. Some genuinely do care, just may be too old, out of touch or no control over the kid to even begin to help. The kids know this. The kids know the schools can not do a thing to them, must pass them, etc. They can give them the same sheet of work to do 3 times, never turn it in and still must receive no lower than a 70 in some cases.

The ones that do work hard, pay attention in class, want to succeed are often called "acting white" because they are studying, doing their work, not getting in trouble, etc. Much like the article I posted, they turn on their own and ostracize them, pick on them, bully them. Why? Because someone wants to better their life. They don't want to sit at home with no more than a 7th grade education, even though might have a high school diploma, pop out babies or knock up various women, collecting welfare, etc all the while complaining "the white man is keeping him down". No one kept them down but their own self.

Look back just 30-40 years. There was not this problem with black students rebelling, talking back to the teachers, not doing the work, parents not blaming the teachers, etc. (FYI: This goes for all races much more prevalent with blacks). The parents went to work, kids went to school, they wanted to be better just like the rest of us that wanted to have it better off than our own parents and grandparents (my family was very working class and lived "on the other side of the tracks"). All of a sudden it is like something snapped and no more getting married, instead it was seeing how many babies one could have and be paid to have. It was no longer going to school to get an education, it was talking back to the teacher and not doing the work. All of a sudden it became this us vs them. Any person that is black that does not act like this is considered "acting white" and called "whitey" by people with the same skin color.

Blacks have advantages that whites do not have for college. Look up how many scholarships are offered if one is black. Compare that to other races. Look at how schools are trying to be more diverse and seeking out those that are wanting to come to their school. College applicants are asked to mark their ethnicity, hmmmm, if it does not matter.......... or, does it and they need to have a certain percentage of minorities?

The advantages are there for the taking. The public education from K-12 is free. Heck, in some districts if they are below a certain income level, Pre-K is available for free. College is there and for many, for free or greatly reduced.
One just has to be willing to drop the stereotypes and ignore the naysayers on all sides, do what is best for them and do not let some person that is trying to push the "white man keeping us down" bs out of their way.

MLK must be rolling with all this fuss

It's somewhat similar on "the Rez" for Native Americans, just not as extreme, as so many of us "pass for White" and can get away with having no education. Problem is, as Native American, because I have dark skin I get "the black treatment" everywhere I go. I'm not the only one; all dark Indians do too. I've seen Lakotas getting called "n*****" out in the streets and such.

I had to purchase the Calculus and Pre-Calculus books on the "rez" school where I tried to teach, and I told the students to keep them (I got them for such a "steal" even though they had to be shipped from clear across the continent) because this is the last time school books will be FREE for them. Due to me being sabotaged on the job from the racist-******* administration...well, I "saw the writing on the wall" from Day One so that's why I told the students that. To keep the books and take them on with them to wherever they go next year or the year after that.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:15 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,220,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
Nice assumption there, that everyone black who can't find a job with their degree "must have" majored in some useless fluff major. No black person ever majors in a STEM field, now do they?! Again, nice ASSumption.

If you majored in Nuclear Physics from MIT but you even "look" black in the interview, you won't get the job. You could be Latino, Native American, Paciifc Islander, Middle Eastern, some other race not "black," and it still won't matter. Job interviewers see skin colour first and "that's all she wrote." Especially if you "sounded white" over the telephone and "looked white" on paper. If everything about you "on paper" smacks "suburban raised, educated, middle-class" translation WHITE and then you show up for the interview with brown skin (we call that "playing 'guess who's coming to the interview'") then, NO you do not either "have the same opportunities as whites."

Where the hell are white people getting that rubbish, anyway?!
Sorry. The reality is blacks get into colleges with much lower scores and companies are eager to raise their minority numbers so the media will sing their praises.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:21 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
WHOA...that's dark!

I just finished watching a reality series on the NFL Network about the high school football team in Barrow, Alaska which is effectively the most remote place in the U.S. still attached to North America. The head coach was black. Although only one percent of Barrow is black, it is still of course a "majority-minority" community due to the Alaska native population.

The wealthiest community in the United States is Lincoln, Massachusetts. It appears 4.8% of the population is African American (in a state that is only 8.8% African American so not egregiously far off of that figure).

If blacks live in the coldest, most remote town in the United States as well as live in the wealthiest town in the U.S., what the hell did your community do to black people to make you be surprised if one ever lived there?
Fair question.

Our township has a lot of state land.........no one lives there.

We are 35 miles from the closest town........there are no jobs here.

People are very well off or, have a business here or, have a long drive to work.

But, mostly.........our township has a 400 foot of footage on the roadway to build.

It is very costly to move here............just a new water well is $8000/$11000.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And White women often had their own slaves before the Civil War.
Women could own nothing.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you're a woman moaning about how difficult it is for women to rise above basic employment levels...and you own your own company.

I wish you could hear how loud I'm laughing.
My point is I made it.

So can many blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events