Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Yeah. That's what happened.

Seriously, though, did your school make going to see Santa Claus into a school field trip? I've never heard of that until this incident. Not even once. Ever. And I am old.
No. Santa came to our school instead. Cafeteria during our Christmas party in elementary school.

Catholic school no less

Old 12-20-2015, 08:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Geeze, as only one of two Jewish families in the first grammar school my sisters and I attended back in the 50's we had to participate in Christmas pageants centered around a nativity scene, sing very religious Christmas carols and decorate Christmas trees throughout the school. We kids felt uncomfortable and felt as if we were acknowledging a religion that was not our own. It made us feel like outsiders.

These things never belonged in public schools but it was always a fact of life. If the teachers want to arrange field trips to see Santa or do other events linked to specific religious ties, they should do it voluntarily on their own time, dime and offer them for those interested in participating rather than making them obligatory.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:58 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
I went to a Catholic school. We didn't visit Santa nor did Santa visit us during school time. We had a Christmas Bazaar where Santa was present. It was held on Saturday and attendance was optional.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:05 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Curious to know if this is something the school has done thru the years or was this the first year they were taking the trip....its the Christmas season, the principal was wrong
The article said it was a tradition at that school. It seems the community had come to expect it.

Honestly it just seems like a ticking time bomb to me. Of course one day someone would complain. They should have figured out what to do about this years ago. It's a public school for goodness sake.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:12 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
The article said it was a tradition at that school. It seems the community had come to expect it.

Honestly it just seems like a ticking time bomb to me. Of course one day someone would complain. They should have figured out what to do about this years ago. It's a public school for goodness sake.
Because we can't hurt anyone's feelings now....

Old 12-20-2015, 09:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Well it IS a public school. They were on shaky ground with that anyway.

Sounds like the principal should have called everyone in to try to work something out before canceling it though.

It is no wonder we as a society are devolving, when we allow one or two malcontents to ruin it for everyone else.
I'd bet most Jewish parents would be mortified at the thought a fellow Jew would complain to cause such a thing to happen. This PC crap needs to end.
It would be like a Christian in Israel complaining about some Hanukkah tradition everyone did.

`

Old 12-20-2015, 09:21 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Parents at a California elementary school took their kids out of class after their annual trip to visit Santa Claus was canceled following a complaint from a Jewish mom.

About 30 students were taken to see St. Nick by their parents who were furious that the Sartorette Elementary School in San Jose canceled their trip.

School walkout after controversy over canceled Santa trip - NY Daily News
Tell you what, they come to school during Christian hollidaysmor our kids get out of school during theirs....last time I checked, the Jews got both.....message to the Jewish mom? Shaaadddup....

Old 12-20-2015, 09:23 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Because we can't hurt anyone's feelings now....
Whatever. It's been known for a while what the standard is for a public school lest they leave themselves open to law suits. You don't have to like it but it is what it is.

If they wanted to have a field trip to Santa they needed to figure out a way to cover multiple religions so that the trip doesn't elevate one religion over the others. The parents seemed to have worked something out, my point is THE SCHOOL could have done the same or similar thing and implemented it ahead of time. It was only a matter of time before it became an issue.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Whatever. It's been known for a while what the standard is for a public school lest they leave themselves open to law suits. You don't have to like it but it is what it is.

If they wanted to have a field trip to Santa they needed to figure out a way to cover multiple religions so that the trip doesn't elevate one religion over the others. The parents seemed to have worked something out, my point is THE SCHOOL could have done the same or similar thing and implemented it ahead of time. It was only a matter of time before it became an issue.
Santa doesn't represent ANY religion.

They weren't going to a church to see a nativity layout here..it was Santa at the mall with their Dear Santa letters.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:28 PM

335 posts, read 325,038 times
When all is said and done, the mother really did not think this thru. With the problem of "bullying" so rampant in schools today, she basically put a target on her kids back. An entire class can't go see Santa because of that "Jew" over there????? Way to go mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events