Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 10:46 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Here's some factual information about being a LEO:

Police Work Isn't as Dangerous as You May Think*|*Blake Fleetwood

Hint: Being a roofer or a farmer is more dangerous, and there's no cushy retirement benefits.
People will like cops. People will hate cops. People will be indifferent to cops. Personally I could care less. PS I love my cushy benefits. I love that the people who hated me are now paying them!!!! It was another great Christmas lol!!!!

Old 12-25-2015, 10:47 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:

Hint: Being a roofer or a farmer is more dangerous, and there's no cushy retirement benefits.
Here are some more benefits that Police Officers receive from the job;
PTSD, Alcoholism, divorce, domestic violence, heart attacks, cancer, depression and suicide.

http://www.cji.edu/site/assets/files...s_disorder.pdf

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 12-25-2015 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 12-25-2015, 11:08 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Don't worry. New Year's Eve is just around the corner. It's a really nice money-earner from writing all those DUI tickets. All the police departments around the country are getting in on the action. It's a shame that Uber, Lyft, and their competitors are stealing ticket revenue.

You prefer that the drunks be allowed to party on and kill or seriously hurt someone one their way home vs being stopped by a diligent police officer doing their job.

In addition to officers giving their lives in the line of duty I would like to add the number of officers who commit suicide. The suicide rate is high among police officers, both tragic and understandable. Lets also not forget the officers seriously hurt in the line of duty and disabled because of it.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:

Then all these naysayers should sign up for such a cushy job...

Old 12-25-2015, 01:19 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,043,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And yet, while people gush nonstop over what 'heroes' our military troops are, never a word of appreciation for law enforcement.

Our police officers who patrol our streets everyday put their lives on the line for us in a thankless job, in a direct role, more so than the military.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
This is... or was my station... it is closed now and was absorbed into a newly created multi area/city substation for more cost effective policing. More deputies were killed here than any other station in the county... the number is ..alot.

With all the negative police posts over the last year I have read on this site I thought I would post up what Christmas past was really like for me... and my friends in my career... where my friends were shot... I have removed their last names to preserve anonymity. This was posted today in our department holiday bulletin.. as such..I share as a current event.. for me it was just like yesterday.

I hope those of you that hate the police.. say we are thugs.. just want to use people for target practice.. will find that 99.5 plus percent police in this country go about our jobs everyday without fanfare... and encounter humans in ways you cannot imagine.

As the deputy in the recent San Bernadino terrorist event stated so eloquently.. "I will take a bullet for you".. that statement epitomizes why every one of us signed up for the job.
As we move forward into 2016 we, all Americans, will face more terrorism on our homeland... it will be "us" who respond... and hopefully some of "you" who are prepared. 123 peace officers have been killed so far this year

I wish all of you a Merry Christmas...

I hope 2016 keeps ALL of us safe and that we can ALL work together towards a better world

By M C...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Eh. Once again, the OP steers right around accountability and sticks with the usual back patting.

One day we will see special prosecutors in the courts actually convicting all the bad cops for negligent homicides of unarmed citizens, predatory detainment practices, lies and committing crimes. One day, the usual prosecutors that are in bed with police sandbagging misconduct cases to keep black eyes off the departments and further their political careers, will be replaced and we will see actual justice prevail. Btw, I did write UNARMED, I dont think people should be allowed to shoot at police. Although many wonder why, in other countries, police actually try to apprehend the guy to BRING him to justice and not fill him full of holes. That concept seems to be lost here.

One day there will be more officers that can safely turn in their crooked chiefs, and not be threatened, fired and ostracized in retaliation. Which is why they will never admit, nor do they report that the problem is much more than 1%. The thousands of videos on youtube is proof of that.

One day police will understand that as much as they dont want to be questioned, they could be fully supported by the general public, when they dont let each other do questionable things. The calling for accountability with the general public only started when people saw video of whats always been going on, and now its coming out that the video only scratches the surface of coverups and misconduct.

One day black people in ghettos will get their act together and stop giving police so much material to work with, and feeding the war on drugs a.k.a. the new slave trade, a.ka. prison for profit system. Thats my personal wish, since I am specially targeted by police based on the bad behaviors of other black people.

But maybe its just me, but I dont see many people protesting for the accountability of black people. Or latinos. Maybe because they justice system works swiftly against them, within days usually. But when police have to be held accountable, the video goes missing, the investigation goes on for a year, reports are false, complaints are tossed out the window.

And some people seem to think that accountability activists want total chaos and no police at all. Oh wait, they just say it to sensationalize with words like "cop haters", "anarchists", to garner sympathy and stick with the rhetoric because you enjoy seeing people DIE like in the barbaric eras where people get thrown to the lions and ripped apart. Because of you, police have been given this leeway to kill at will and you turn a blind eye because if you dont you think your utopia will crumble. Shame on you seriously, you are sick. In this country, we dont take up any causes until it hits home. Thats how we work. And even then, the cops that shoots the guy in the neck gets off.

So happy holidays everyone! Say hi to your local police officer on xmas, dont feel bad for him when hes working today, he signed up for this, they are probably good guys. I have one that lives across the street from me, hes a good guy. Im gonna ask him how he feels about police corruption and accountability. I think he would want true justice upheld against corruption.

What am I doing to assist in this change I so desire? Well Im not supporting criminals, whether they be authority or minority, nor am I patting my own back on CD, I know that much.
Each person draws his/her own conclusions based on their PERSONAL EXPERIENCES.

OP...No one cares what you do on a daily basis for your pay. Police are well compensated for doing basically little to nothing as an arm for justice in the so called "legal system" of the USA. The fact is, the system is broken and COPS are just collecting a paycheck and looking forward to their FAT PENSIONS which are publicly funded by bankrupt cities. HENCE, the PD pension funds (along with other public servant retirement plans) are a front to LEGALIZED robbery.

You can toot your horn and some will buy into your HERO COMPLEX but my experience as a victim of crime and witnessing the mockery of the court system is less than disappointed----to downright disdain.

No cop will get a handshake from me for "being a cop"; and i have friends who are with the PD.

The fraternal order should be congratulated for duping the public into buying PD HERO COMPLEX. Its really a joke. Their are much more dangerous jobs that pay way less and get WAY BETTER results.

"90% of Cops can't do anything that create value." If they had to get a REAL JOB, they would quickly matriculate into the homeless population.

(I CAN HEAR THE MINIONS TALKING NOW)
MINIONS: "well,...when you get in trouble WITH a criminal don't bother to call the cops."
ME: "...you think i'm gonna wait for the Calvary to come and protect my butt?...you to the wrong guy!"
~B

Old 12-25-2015, 02:12 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
I guess I'm not surprised at the responses to my link to some factual information. I don't love nor hate cops any more than love or hate any other profession. Just providing some facts, which is almost never a popular thing on C-D.

Mahalo and Mele Kalikimaka

Last edited by Buckeye77; 12-25-2015 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 02:43 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
........MINIONS: "well,...when you get in trouble WITH a criminal don't bother to call the cops."
ME: "...you think i'm gonna wait for the Calvary to come and protect my butt?...you to the wrong guy!"
~B
Cavalry. The word is Cavalry.

Calvary is the hill that Jesus was crucified on.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:21 PM

50,760 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Each person draws his/her own conclusions based on their PERSONAL EXPERIENCES.

OP...No one cares what you do on a daily basis for your pay. Police are well compensated for doing basically little to nothing as an arm for justice in the so called "legal system" of the USA. The fact is, the system is broken and COPS are just collecting a paycheck and looking forward to their FAT PENSIONS which are publicly funded by bankrupt cities. HENCE, the PD pension funds (along with other public servant retirement plans) are a front to LEGALIZED robbery.

You can toot your horn and some will buy into your HERO COMPLEX but my experience as a victim of crime and witnessing the mockery of the court system is less than disappointed----to downright disdain.

No cop will get a handshake from me for "being a cop"; and i have friends who are with the PD.

The fraternal order should be congratulated for duping the public into buying PD HERO COMPLEX. Its really a joke. Their are much more dangerous jobs that pay way less and get WAY BETTER results.

"90% of Cops can't do anything that create value." If they had to get a REAL JOB, they would quickly matriculate into the homeless population.

(I CAN HEAR THE MINIONS TALKING NOW)
MINIONS: "well,...when you get in trouble WITH a criminal don't bother to call the cops."
~B

Although a few of our weak-minded posters see me as a cop-hater, I'm going to take strong exception to your post.

1. I have seen a truly corrupt police force work in a foreign country. Take my word for it -- since you emphasize basing things on personal experience -- overall, we have a pretty good police force in this country.

2. I do like to hear honest recitations about what police do everyday. But when our police posters claim that 99.9% or even 99.5% of our police officers are upstanding and outstanding, then the rest of their posts become meaningless. There is no profession, including my own, which has anything near that level of excellence. And to claim so makes everything else claimed suspicious.

3. No, cops are not "just collecting a paycheck and looking forward to their FAT PENSIONS". Every honest worker in America ought to get a good paycheck; including cops. Every honest worker in America ought to get a decent pension; including cops. Yes, it is true that based on statistics, police work is not as dangerous as some other professions. But it sure isn't sitting in a cozy office where there is virtually no risk. And, back in Ferguson, although I didn't feel the police did a truly competent job, I had some real empathy for the fear those police officers must have felt being the potential target of quite a few miscreants who would have liked to assassinate them.

4. Is our justice/police system flawed? Of course. Isn't everything? But the police provide a service -- sometimes by just being there, other times by being active -- that keeps a lid on negative human behavior. I've had my share of moving violations driving, and a few were just plain stupid, but the very presence of that police car along the highway makes driving safer...saves lives...protects property. But here in Colorado Springs, the police aren't very strong in enforcing traffic laws. If I go out driving for just 15 minutes, I'm bound to see drivers going through red lights and stop signs (and I'm not talking about yellow lights). And the same principle works in even more significant situations as well. We had that Planned Parenthood shooter a few weeks ago here. The police literally saved people's lives. The case in the mall in North Carolina (I think it was, yesterday), they took out a shooter inside the mall. No thanks to your lawless society. I'm grateful we have our police officers.

5. Whatever your job is, it's no more "real" than any other job. Get over yourself.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:49 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'd suggest reading it again and again until it sparks some kind of idea. It's really not a hard concept to figure out or understand.(
You're right - the concept is not difficult to understand at all. My father was a police officer, and I worked for many years as a civilian employee with a major police department. I get it.

The point, on the other hand - that's the part that makes no sense in a "Current Events" forum. All adds up to nothing but a big "so what".

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 12-25-2015 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 03:49 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,272 times
I've had extensive experience with the police over the past 5 years (custody battle).

My experience with police has run the gamut from negative to appalling to downright criminal; but never positive. At least where I live, I've found them to be corrupt to the level you would expect from a 3rd world nation. In fact it's been much worse than I ever would have expected even in my worst nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.