Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:15 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,064 times

Advertisements

First of all the police need to be called. It's Property Damage on a large scale if nothing else.

She needs to get the place dusted and swabbed, there will likely be fingerprints and touch DNA.

All neighbours need to be interviewed as there will also be witnesses. Letter dumps and posters out to drag in anyone who was just driving past.

If Police refuse to act Id go to the local newspaper

they would eat this one up!!!!

then they need to sue the Offenders (assuming they have Evidence) to get the house repainted to its original color at the Offenders cost.

Or more ideally, repainted a color both can agree on.

I simply cant believe this is a Q, if this happened to me the Whole World would find out about it.

I may hate the color of your house, but I will defend to the death your right to choose it.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
First of all the police need to be called. It's Property Damage on a large scale if nothing else.

She needs to get the place dusted and swabbed, there will likely be fingerprints and touch DNA.

All neighbours need to be interviewed as there will also be witnesses. Letter dumps and posters out to drag in anyone who was just driving past.

If Police refuse to act Id go to the local newspaper

they would eat this one up!!!!

then they need to sue the Offenders (assuming they have Evidence) to get the house repainted to its original color at the Offenders cost.

Or more ideally, repainted a color both can agree on.

I simply cant believe this is a Q, if this happened to me the Whole World would find out about it.

I may hate the color of your house, but I will defend to the death your right to choose it.
No. It's NOT their house. They have no input on what the neighbor paints their house. You want a color scheme that blends it all in nobody paints a different color ho buy in a HOA.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No. It's NOT their house. They have no input on what the neighbor paints their house. You want a color scheme that blends it all in nobody paints a different color ho buy in a HOA.
look at it this way -

what would solve the neighbor hatred best?

1. repainting the house yellow

2. finding a mutually agreeable shade

I'm talking Bigger Picture - they have to still be neighbours which may take compromise on both sides. Assuming they just don't want to arm up and be hostile that is.

Heck they may agree on a fetching shade of orange or aubergine for all we know.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:49 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

The homeowner knew immediately who was responsible, but the neighbors have refused to answer their door when she knocks. The company who painted the house said they had a valid work order, and were paid in cash by a woman calling herself Ms. Jane Smith. Supposedly, because the neighbors never actually set foot on the property, they can't be charged with any crime.

Woman Comes Home From Vacation To Find Her Neighbor Had Done This. Wow.

What recourse does this woman have?
What do you mean, "Supposedly..."? If you hire a hit man to kill someone, YOU are responsible. They should immediately file charges with the police. They'll have to get tough to deal with those neighbors.

It could be worse; I had neighbors across the street who were feuding over an easement: one driveway to serve two garages between them. It was a single mom who moved in, and that's when the trouble began. It escalated more and more. Then, when the mom and kids were away for the weekend, the neighbor burned down their house.

There are crazy people out there. Your new neighbors need to get this on the police record. And btw, the police are used to dealing with neighbor disputes. But this is more than just a dispute; trespassing and vandalism occurred. Those neighbors owe the homeowners for a new paint job, at the least.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post

Seeing that the story is 4 months old, from what I understand, there is no swabbing or dusting that will do anything. The police also usually decline to dust outside because the evidence is usually worthless when exposed to weather. I know this from personal experience, the police refused to dust one of my surveillance cameras after my house was broken into and I had the guy on video grabbing the camera to turn it down.

Interviewing will probably be fruitless as well. And if the bit about the "painters" suing for costs of the work, they already know who did it. No need for any of that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice...e_color_of_my/

Last edited by spankys bbq; 01-17-2016 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Added link.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:56 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
A young couple moved into the neighborhood a few years ago and immediately began harassing their next door neighbor to paint her house because they didn't like living next to a yellow house. When the woman refused, they tried everything they could to get their way, including calling the police on her, reporting her to the city, taking her to court, and trying to form an HOA to force her to bend to their will, all to no avail, because, of course, the woman had a right to paint her house any color she chose.

Then, this:

"I recently had to go out of town for two weeks. When I got back, my house was gray. I actually almost drove past it because I'm so used to my yellow house."

The homeowner knew immediately who was responsible, but the neighbors have refused to answer their door when she knocks. The company who painted the house said they had a valid work order, and were paid in cash by a woman calling herself Ms. Jane Smith. Supposedly, because the neighbors never actually set foot on the property, they can't be charged with any crime.

We had a similar, but also different situation in our neighborhood. A long time resident decided he liked Barney the Dinosaur purple, and proceeded to paint his house that color. We live in a neighborhood where the median price is $450K, and everyone has nice landscaping, and standard exterior colors.
This guy didn't have many friends to begin with, and needless to say, even fewer afterward. Several of us decided to agree to pay for a repaint if he was willing to change the color, especially the two people living on either side of him.
A note was sent via mail and left on his door. He never reached out to anyone, so the hideous purple paint remained.

Unlike the couple accused of repainting the house without the homeowners consent, we just put up with the eyesore, despite being a daily annoyance.
Eventually the house went on the market because the guy died, and fortunately the family buying it changed the exterior color. As a matter of fact, they did all sorts of landscaping, lighting, etc. that has made it one of the better looking places on our block.

The moral of the story is that while many people rail against HOA's, they do serve a purpose of keeping one or two fools from adversely affecting everyone else's property values and piece on mind.

`

Old 01-17-2016, 02:28 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
I wish my neighbors would do something like that. My landlord's house & my house (I live in a house behind him) were painted a hideous hideous pinkish rose color with cream trim. My landlord thinks it's gorgeous.....he also chose that color because that's the paint that was on sale that day I guess, no lie. It's putrid, truly.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:28 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
A young couple moved into the neighborhood a few years ago and immediately began harassing their next door neighbor to paint her house because they didn't like living next to a yellow house. When the woman refused, they tried everything they could to get their way, including calling the police on her, reporting her to the city, taking her to court, and trying to form an HOA to force her to bend to their will, all to no avail, because, of course, the woman had a right to paint her house any color she chose.

Then, this:

"I recently had to go out of town for two weeks. When I got back, my house was gray. I actually almost drove past it because I'm so used to my yellow house."

Paint it bright neon yellow?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:44 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
No. A BRIGHTER YELLOW. With purple trim.
I'm thinking, more like the bus in that old TV show "The Partridge Family".

"the partridge family" bus - Google Search

Old 01-17-2016, 02:46 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
If this is true, I like the comment someone made below the article. All the neighbors should paint their houses yellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events