Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:41 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Hey, you sit there doing nothing to protect your rights, this IS what you get! Tipping should be banned & these people be paid normal wages in tune with inflation!

The server cannot complain simply because he(& the rest of the ppl working these jobs) are doing nothing to make their own lives better! You get what you give!
So you think it is in the power of restaurant servers to change the entire wage structure of the industry and force restaurants to pay a decent wage.

That is known as blaming the victim.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Pretty obnoxious, but a little strange how this made the news.
LOL it was posted to Facebook which passes for news these days. There's been a trend of Big Tip/No Tip stories on FB for a while.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Thanks for being one of the very few to actually read the article and point out that the whole thread is based on a fallacy.

Wonder why that is?
Because the topic wss deceiving and people were taking about the intent of the topic.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
He's too busy giving 10% of his money to his church so he doesn't have any left for the waitress. Tithing always comes first! Even if you have 28 kids, are on food stamps, have no home or heat, and can't cloth your children, tithing always comes first!

Old 01-19-2016, 08:50 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Lets try and keep this on topic, we are getting close to derailing.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, no, the best way would have been to just leave a cash tip. No tracts of some silly "Word" with it. Would you like a pamphlet on Islam or Wicca or Buddhism as your "tip" if you were a server? Didn't think so.
Actually, you couldn't be more wrong.

The best thing would have been to leave the appropriate tip and the literature.

If you are of the belief that the only salvation and way into Heaven is through Christ, you believe it's like having the cure to a cancer that everyone has. So, by sharing the "cure" you are helping that person, and by not sharing the "cure" you're essentially saying you really don't care what happens to that person.

Needless to say, the proper tip should have been left.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:01 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
True story:

My home town was Palmyra, NY. My mother used to be a waitress in the town's only high class restaurant. She was waiting table the week of the annual Mormon pageant, and one evening had a table of 6 visiting Mormons for dinner. They left a tip -- green stamps. After that, she always refused to work pageant week.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:07 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Ill admit that I was a bad tipper before I actually worked as a waitress. I am a firm believer that everyone should have to work in the service industry for a while because it is a HUGE eye opener to the treatment of other human beings. Now don't get me wrong I have had ****ty servers and I did not leave them much of a tip but still something. The service industry is a thankless job most of the time. I know because I worked as a waitress for three years and it was awful how people treated me.
It is not just food servers. Any job which puts people serving the public like cashiers or hotel workers are often the subject of customer abuse while simply doing their job.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:09 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Nothing really new here. I received some sort of pamphlet made to look like money when I was a waitress back in the day. It was off-putting and worse than if I had received nothing at all. I can't remember the topic, but it wasn't religion. I still remember getting it.

I worked in a pizza place and the after church crowd on Wednesday night and Sunday morning/lunch were overall the worst customers. They were messy, usually rude and didn't tip at all.

I don't consider not tipping as stealing. There is no law against it. There are legitimate reasons not to tip. Not everyone agrees on the amount to tip. If you get a tip, consider yourself lucky.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:15 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Actually, you couldn't be more wrong.

The best thing would have been to leave the appropriate tip and the literature.

If you are of the belief that the only salvation and way into Heaven is through Christ, you believe it's like having the cure to a cancer that everyone has. So, by sharing the "cure" you are helping that person, and by not sharing the "cure" you're essentially saying you really don't care what happens to that person.

Needless to say, the proper tip should have been left.
The key word here is "appropriate".

When I tip it's based on the service. Normal service = 20%. Above and beyond service = 30%. Poor service = 0%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events