Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:46 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yikes, what a night mare. I'm sure his career is over. I feel sorry for that poor young man on the motorcycle. I also feel sorry for the cop.

Accidental discharges happen and I know of two cops that it happened to. One shot his patrol car, and one shop a hole in the wall of his house. It's unfortunate that this time it happened to an innocent victim. It's horrifying.
He had a paid vacation and is back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 11:52 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
He had a paid vacation and is back to work.
This is what is wrong.
No accountability, no punishment.
Oops **** happens and you go back.
He won't care as it didn't do anything bad to him and probably will kill someone in the future but again will go on a vacation.
To think of it, he may do it just to go to vacation.
Nice justice system!

Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I'm fine awarding good cops and as long as they do what they are paid to do from my taxes.
Lot of cops are good and they get medals and promotions and raise etc..., that's great and they deserve it.

Problem is bad ones don't get the same treatment that good ones do. Bad ones also deserve punishment and this stupid system backs them up with lies and pays on their behalf instead of punishing them. THAT'S utter stupidity.
It's a tradition and yes PIGS is basically for those who actually have less than PIG'S brain and cause these kinds of incidents.

Well some fat good ones also can be called that but that's different thing.

You are a sad ahole to wish someone involve in a crime.
What a pathetic mentality you have.
I was not rooting for you to be a victim, apologies if that is how it appeared. I was looking forward to the day you needed help from a "pig" because your initial post certainly appeared as if "pig" was a blanket label you were applying to every officer. That's what I was reacting to because that is wrong.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:20 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yikes, what a night mare. I'm sure his career is over. I feel sorry for that poor young man on the motorcycle. I also feel sorry for the cop.

Accidental discharges happen and I know of two cops that it happened to. One shot his patrol car, and one shop a hole in the wall of his house. It's unfortunate that this time it happened to an innocent victim. It's horrifying.
Accidental discharges do not just "happen". NO! NO! NO!

An accidental discharge would be the results of a mechanical malfunction, I find no evidence with that here and, with today's firearm quality standards, very rare. This is what is called a "negligent discharge" - user malufunction. There are only 4 major gun safety standards - I count at least 2 that he outright violated.

What is sad and scary is I have no doubt you have heard of two cops that it happens to. Most get unreported, and it is quite common as I understand it. Besides the issue of lack of LEO training, many get very complacent with firearms handling it seems. They handle them every day, they get overfamiliar with handling them, they essentially forget they are handling a lethal weapon. Many officers are also not "gun guys", they don't familiarize themselves how a weapon works. Also, many service weapons are Glocks. Excellent weapons, but the appeal of them for government use - that is, an idiot-proof weapon in which you don't need much training to use (no external safety, etc), is also the bane of LEO in terms of fire arms safety. You assign an idiot-proof weapon and you design the training at an idiot level.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
This is what is wrong.
He won't care as it didn't do anything bad to him and probably will kill someone in the future but again will go on a vacation.
Nice justice system!
I might be confusing this with another similar case, but I think he actually got a promotion after he came back to work...?

Old 01-28-2016, 12:27 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
This is what is wrong.
Nice justice system!
Now here you go again. Did you not here the remorse in the officer's words and actions? So now you think he is happy this shooting took place? If you guys really think an officer looks at a suspensin as a paid vacation, a good thing that he will try to accomplish again, well now you are just being irrational. Suspensions are not good, they receive pay raises and promotions based on their record. To claim he will kill again on purpose just to get another suspension is idiotic.

Again I'm no cop lover. A trip through the thread about the cop getting off for shooting and killing a contained dog will show you that. The difference between my view and yours is again I look at each event independently, you guys assume every cop is dirty based entirely on the actions of other bad cops. You are treating this cop who fired by accident the same as you are the cop who beats an innocent man or fires and shoots someone on purpose. There is a difference, intent is very important.

So riddle me this: how is your prejudice against cops who shoot civilians any different than the mentality of the racist cop who sees so many young black males committing crimes that he assumes the next one he sees is a guy who broke into the house on Main Street?

Old 01-28-2016, 12:52 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Now here you go again. Did you not here the remorse in the officer's words and actions? So now you think he is happy this shooting took place? If you guys really think an officer looks at a suspensin as a paid vacation, a good thing that he will try to accomplish again, well now you are just being irrational. Suspensions are not good, they receive pay raises and promotions based on their record. To claim he will kill again on purpose just to get another suspension is idiotic.

Again I'm no cop lover. A trip through the thread about the cop getting off for shooting and killing a contained dog will show you that. The difference between my view and yours is again I look at each event independently, you guys assume every cop is dirty based entirely on the actions of other bad cops. You are treating this cop who fired by accident the same as you are the cop who beats an innocent man or fires and shoots someone on purpose. There is a difference, intent is very important.

So riddle me this: how is your prejudice against cops who shoot civilians any different than the mentality of the racist cop who sees so many young black males committing crimes that he assumes the next one he sees is a guy who broke into the house on Main Street?
Remorse?
Is remorse enough for something like that? Shooting at unarmed civilian?
Yes it's a mistake but it's a deadly mistake.
If remorse is enough, then do the same for 1st time shooters, killers who are civilians but killed/injured someone by mistake.
Remorse is not legal punishment.

My comment on he may do it again just to go on a vacation is just a thought but the point is he won't care a bit about this incident as it legally didn't do any negative on his career.

I dislike racist cops as much as the ones with no brain.

Good cop --> reward them.
Bad cop --> punish them. It's as simple as that but stupid PD and city backs bad cops too often even with lies until a video surfaces and even when they finally charge due to video evidence, they drop or acquit the bad cop.
Of course there is outrage when that happens.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:29 PM

We will never know if this cop is a "pig", because there was a dash cam. Take away the camera and show me how that report gets written up. I think we all know.

The cop seems like a decent person who made a mistake. A mistake that displays a level of incompetence so gross that he should be barred from anything but administrative duty for the rest of his career.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:44 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
This thread makes me wonder how many ex-cons or felons are on CD. The hatred is very intense. I must be lucky. I have never been arrested. Been pulled over but did not act like a fool or try to speed away. This guy is lucky Darwin took the day off.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
If this was a civilian, and not a cop, the civilian would have been charged with whatever Minnesota's equivalent of reckless endangerment and assault with a deadly weapon are. But, since it was a cop, no harm, no foul. Oops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events