Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 11:10 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I volunteer with the Wounded Warrior Vets as a sports coach. Really bummed out about this (maybe pissed is a better word), as I know Vets there who are struggling to get the services they need. I also collect donations for them, which may not be being put to the best use.
Your time and efforts are directly helping the vets and are greatly appreciated by them. Hopefully the organization cleans up after the firings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 11:47 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
I'm not so terribly upset about the $250k snack budget if that were the only waste, but the more alarming figure is that less than 60% of the donations go to vets. That's the damning figure.

If you have a large enough organization and you run lots of charity events, you're going to have a large budget for snacks, drinks, and other incidentals, but one would only hope that those snacks and such are there to support the cause. For example- snacks at a charity event where there are lots of people in attendance would cost thousands of dollars, but would be a good thing. Or, snacks at an office full of volunteers. Or, snacks at an office full of employees who accept below-market wages because they are working at a charity. All of these things are fine. But snacks at an office where people are already paid lavishly, you really begin to wonder.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm not so terribly upset about the $250k snack budget if that were the only waste, but the more alarming figure is that less than 60% of the donations go to vets. That's the damning figure.

If you have a large enough organization and you run lots of charity events, you're going to have a large budget for snacks, drinks, and other incidentals, but one would only hope that those snacks and such are there to support the cause. For example- snacks at a charity event where there are lots of people in attendance would cost thousands of dollars, but would be a good thing. Or, snacks at an office full of volunteers. Or, snacks at an office full of employees who accept below-market wages because they are working at a charity. All of these things are fine. But snacks at an office where people are already paid lavishly, you really begin to wonder.
That was the snack budget for the workers along with company paid field trips.

No not for profit should be milking nearly 1/2 of the donations to live the high life while at work.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:24 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Your time and efforts are directly helping the vets and are greatly appreciated by them. Hopefully the organization cleans up after the firings.
Yeah, you're right. I worked directly 1:1 with the Vets, and I believe the donations went directly to buying/building the adaptive sports equipment, so did not directly contribute any $ to the administration.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I heard stories about excessive salaries and spending at WWP a couple years ago, and stopped donating then. Wonder why this is just now being a headline story.
I'm guessing because the top executives finally got canned. Which makes the board look ineffective too. The whole organization needs an enema.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:48 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Clearly, your son was raised right. For a 17 year old to be so unselfish is nice to hear.

Sounds like a fine young man.
TYVM for the comment. At 17 years old to think of others is a good thing. Many at 17 these days only care about themselves. The poster who made that rude comment should be ashamed of himself. Thanks again!

Old 03-11-2016, 02:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Non-profit companies are all for profit and corrupt. As an IT Security contractor, I once peaked at some of the expenses at a non-profit. They spend more lavishly than pure for profit companies and they over pay their execs more than typical fortune 500 companies to do what? Spending money on their own personal expenses.

It's a known fact that a lot of charities are nothing more than tax free bank accounts for the rich used to pay for their own personal goods.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:00 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
TYVM for the comment. At 17 years old to think of others is a good thing. Many at 17 these days only care about themselves. The poster who made that rude comment should be ashamed of himself. Thanks again!
Your 17 y.o. sounds great... I have one too. My 17 y.o. son is a skier and works with the Wounded Warrior Vet amputees to fit them with sit-skis/uni-skis, and he acts as their ski guide. He has been trained in identifying/working with skiers with various physical/mental disabilities, and working with the Vets has been a very rewarding experience for him.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:08 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Donalds View Post
I've been reading for over 20 years about how charities defraud the people that trust them, to the point that I believe that anyone that donates anything to a large charity are foolish rubes. It's no longer news. Charities use the plight of other people (and animals) to get people to give them money, and then they use that money for purposes other than what the people that gave it to them intended.

That's standard practice. That's what they ALL do. Anyone that says otherwise is an uniformed idiot, and anyone that believes what the uninformed idiot is saying is another sucker volunteering to get fleeced.

If McDonalds can have the exact calorie count on their cheesebergers and the tobacco industry can have warning labels on cigarettes, then tax-exempt scamming, crooked charities can be required to post the exact percentage of how much of their gross income is used for "administrative" purposes (you know, necessary things like luxury homes, cars, travel to exotic places, high-end hookers, cocaine, iPhone 6's, and a cash loan to their neighbor down the street to renovate his nightclub. And in a large font too, Exactly the same size of font as the name of the charity.

People should have learned this lesson decades ago, with the United Way, but they didn't because they're stupid. Charities are a scam, and always have been, ever since the 1800's, and non-profits are a scam and always have been, ever since incompetent wives of politicians needed the illusion of constructive purpose and something to do.
If the book is still in print, read "King of Cons" by Aaron Tonken (he went to prison). You'll never give money to another celebrity endorsed charity or celebrity fronted political fundraiser after you read it. Here's the book blurb on Amazon:

Quote:
"In a LAND of MORAL IMBECILES, I knew I could be KING."

"He was one of the most prominent producers of fundraising events in the country, throwing monumental charity bashes, securing millions of dollars in donations for the sick and needy. The trouble was, some of the people profiting were greedy politicians, and many of the "charity cases" were really only pampered Hollywood stars. It's a true-life spectacular that only Hollywood could produce.

Now, the story that shook the industry will finally shatter the façade of Hollywood's philanthropy and Washington's populism, once and for all exposing how empty are the real lifestyles of many of the rich and famous, and what really happens to charity money meant for the poor."

http://www.amazon.com/King-Cons-Wash.../dp/B0009A2OGO
He names names and the author is just as odious as the celebrities he writes about. If you think they do it out of the goodness of their heart, guess again. It was written in 2004 but you will know the names.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:34 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Non-profit companies are all for profit and corrupt. As an IT Security contractor, I once peaked at some of the expenses at a non-profit. They spend more lavishly than pure for profit companies and they over pay their execs more than typical fortune 500 companies to do what? Spending money on their own personal expenses.

It's a known fact that a lot of charities are nothing more than tax free bank accounts for the rich used to pay for their own personal goods.
No. That is not entirely correct. There are plenty of small, local non profits - such as your neighborhood school's PTA or your small animal rescue - have plenty of hard working volunteers who do a lot for their communities, and spend the money how and where it should be spent.

Painting all non profits with this brush is uncalled for and damaging to those they help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events