Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:41 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times

Advertisements

The retail companies are killing their brick and mortar stores. They bring in less merchandise, less assortment...less of everything. I am also convinced that in 10-15 years retail will become much an online business. These part time/low paid jobs will mostly disappear.
The second industry to suffer s similar fate will be fast food.
That means disaster for millions of low paid folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 03:02 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Specialty stores are hurting real bad. Especially camera stores. DSLR and their lenses are expensive. Unless I'm feeling nice and want to help out local business no way I would buy it local. Go online and get it shipped free with no tax. On a $1,000 item that's quite a bit of savings.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:37 PM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I was reading an article about several retailers laying off quite a few people.

I don't think it's the economy. I think it's the way stores are doing business.

For example, last Saturday I needed to buy a new man's wallet. I went to Dillards and Macys and found just what I wanted...if I wanted brown. Macys had a dozen of the exact wallet I wanted in brown, but not a single one in black. Yes, I am fussy about some purchases. So, what did I do? Continue to drive around to different stores? No, I went home, got on Amazon, and bought exactly the wallet in style and color that I wanted. And I was doing so, I thought about how often this has been occurring in the past couple of years. I've gone from buying mostly only CDs and DVDs online, to buying many different things online...due to stores not carrying a variety of sizes, colors, styles...where online I can find almost anything I want.

You folks finding the same thing?
It has been about 10 years since I went to a mall to do any kind of shopping. I buy everything online. It helps, though, that I no longer need work clothes since I'm retired.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,668 times
Online is so much easier and quicker and way more selection. But I'm still trying to learn how to save on shipping. So far it's 1) look for shipping deals and 2) do a single purchase of all items in the same category from the same shipper. e.g. Don't buy 4 books from Amazon and 3 books from Barnes. Or 4 books from one Amazon supplier and the other 3 from a different Amazon supplier. (I tried Prime but it wasn't practical for me).

Old 06-08-2016, 04:28 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
The retail companies are killing their brick and mortar stores. They bring in less merchandise, less assortment...less of everything. I am also convinced that in 10-15 years retail will become much an online business. These part time/low paid jobs will mostly disappear.
The second industry to suffer s similar fate will be fast food.
That means disaster for millions of low paid folks.
agree with part 1

fast food can't be mailed, it will be around for years to come.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:31 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Specialty stores are hurting real bad. Especially camera stores. DSLR and their lenses are expensive. Unless I'm feeling nice and want to help out local business no way I would buy it local. Go online and get it shipped free with no tax. On a $1,000 item that's quite a bit of savings.
Wolf and Ritz camera were destroyed by online shopping. Think about it, camera guys are nerdy, they certainly know their way around the internet. Soccer moms would buy stuff at Costco and then digital photography destroyed their premium photo processing departments.

Mall rents are rising, employee costs are at an all time high and margins were crushed..... = retail fail

Old 06-08-2016, 04:34 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,033 times
I do almost all shopping online, except for groceries, which I buy locally.
I figure, the UPS trucks are already making their rounds, so I'm not going to waste my gas, oil, and tire tread by trekking to the (dispiriting, depressing) mall.
The retail clothing shops are staffed by children (early 20s) who don't know their derrieres from a hole in the ground. The Nordstrom and L.L. Bean websites don't charge for shipping. I'm fine about paying state sales tax.
Co-incinentally, this is my last day of Amazon Prime. I won't be re-upping; they don't need any more money.

Last edited by Zenstyle; 06-08-2016 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 05:00 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

I've actually bought my last 2 DSLR cameras back at a camera store because they matched the online prices and then there's customer service.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:16 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've actually bought my last 2 DSLR cameras back at a camera store because they matched the online prices and then there's customer service.
So did I. My local camera store is fantastic, and I buy from them because I want to keep them around.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:35 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
Malls are fun sometimes, except around the holidays. You can't try on stuff online - you could try it on when they send it to you, then if it doesn't fit send it back. Even online is time consuming and not as fun, but it's convenient especially around the holidays when you don't want to have to suffer from standing in a long line and facing the hordes of shoppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events