Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:58 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times

Advertisements

I do pretty much all my buying online these days. Very rarely do I visit a store and it's usually if I specifically need to see a item in person before buying it.

Other than home depot/lowes, everything I buy comes via the brown truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 10:37 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
agree with part 1

fast food can't be mailed, it will be around for years to come.
Experiments with robots and automatic dispensing machines are in advanced stages. Once an industry leader has (even limited) success with such systems, others will follow immediately.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:57 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I do pretty much all my buying online these days. Very rarely do I visit a store and it's usually if I specifically need to see a item in person before buying it.

Other than home depot/lowes, everything I buy comes via the brown truck

Same here. I usually wait until my order is large enough so I end up rarely paying shipping.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,928 times
bad customer service and you can hardly find what you want in store. you have to go to their website to get it. why even have a brick and mortar store if you don't carry anything? lol

Old 06-09-2016, 12:43 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Experiments with robots and automatic dispensing machines are in advanced stages. Once an industry leader has (even limited) success with such systems, others will follow immediately.
They're already experimenting with drones delivering things to people.

Once it gets to a point where drones can be programmed to drop off at a certain address and return to base it's going to also hurt UPS, FedEx, etc.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:32 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
So, am I one of the few who gets an unlikely number of "this item is temporarily out of stock" when I try to order online?
I recently went online to look for a few short sleeve blouses for work and found very few things I liked and few of those were in stock in the colors I wanted. I got up and went to the brick and mortar to get the items in the colors I wanted because they actually had them in the store. Had the same issue at Christmas, everything online was temporarily sold out but available in store.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:07 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The "ship to local store for free pickup" option is one that I find can make a nice compromise, as it allows me to take advantage of the convenience and variety of online retail while still supporting my local businesses. Of course I still have to have the time to run to the store to get the item when it arrives, and it's not usually an option that a true Mom and Pop operation can offer, but it's a nice alternative to constantly giving Amazon all my online business.
It makes no difference whether you're picking it up at the store or having it delivered to your home. Having something delivered to the store isn't "supporting a local business" at all if you're ordering/buying from a large national corpration like Home Depot. If you buy other stuff when you're in the store you're contributing tax dollars to your local economy, but your purchase money is going to the exact same place as the money you spent online.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:29 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
It makes no difference whether you're picking it up at the store or having it delivered to your home. Having something delivered to the store isn't "supporting a local business" at all if you're ordering/buying from a large national corpration like Home Depot. If you buy other stuff when you're in the store you're contributing tax dollars to your local economy, but your purchase money is going to the exact same place as the money you spent online.

All of the above is true, but at least going to local stores supports employment of local people.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,482 times
When I worked retail we were always understaffed after 3(which was prime time) because no one wanted to work the closing shift in any department. This was especially true during the summer time. Since there was always openings people on their applications would put that they could work nights and weekends. Then after about a month they would start saying "well I have to change my availability" and were quickly let go

Old 06-11-2016, 03:34 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,090 times
Retail corporations have shifted away from properly staffing stores with full time employees to grossly under staffing with skeleton crews of uninsured part time employees who couldn't care less. To top it off, the part timers are supervised by managers who are paid salary and expected to work upwards of 70-80 hours per week in some cases. This is essentially the Wal-Mart business model and it spread like wild fire to companies everywhere. As you can see though, in the past few years it has been starting to backfire. I know for instance that there are a number of items I use that would be cheaper at Wal-Mart. On many occasions, I skip Wal-Mart simply because the shopping experience flat out sucks. Add free shipping from places like Amazon into the mix and there's zero reason to step into these stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events