Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:27 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article about several retailers laying off quite a few people.

I don't think it's the economy. I think it's the way stores are doing business.

For example, last Saturday I needed to buy a new man's wallet. I went to Dillards and Macys and found just what I wanted...if I wanted brown. Macys had a dozen of the exact wallet I wanted in brown, but not a single one in black. Yes, I am fussy about some purchases. So, what did I do? Continue to drive around to different stores? No, I went home, got on Amazon, and bought exactly the wallet in style and color that I wanted. And I was doing so, I thought about how often this has been occurring in the past couple of years. I've gone from buying mostly only CDs and DVDs online, to buying many different things online...due to stores not carrying a variety of sizes, colors, styles...where online I can find almost anything I want.

You folks finding the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
No customer service in actual stores and more variety online.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:34 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Yes, although in my case I am ordering online a lot more than I used to simply to save time, not necessarily because the local stores don't stock what I want. Online shopping is simply faster and more convenient for me in most cases. I still go to the local stores for most "big ticket' items where I want to evaluate the item carefully before I make my purchase. But my most recent online purchase was a bag of bone meal for my garden. Bone meal is bone meal, what is there to evaluate? Amazon will ship it to my door, I'll have it by Friday, and visiting the garden center to pick some bone meal up can now be struck off of my list of weekend chores.

When it comes to selection and convenience, online shopping wins every time. When it comes to service, that's where my local stores shine, and that is what I use them for.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:36 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
I think you're exactly right. For example, I'm going to be buying 2" window blinds for my living room. I like off white (alabaster) because I think white just looks too stark ... and alabaster will perfectly match the woodwork. My local HD has only brown or white in the 2" faux wood blinds, but I can get alabaster on line and have it delivered to the store for free.

Also the HD website explained how to correctly measure for the way I want to hang the blinds ... and I can just go and double check the measurements if I need to do so.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:59 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
My local HD has only brown or white in the 2" faux wood blinds, but I can get alabaster on line and have it delivered to the store for free.
The "ship to local store for free pickup" option is one that I find can make a nice compromise, as it allows me to take advantage of the convenience and variety of online retail while still supporting my local businesses. Of course I still have to have the time to run to the store to get the item when it arrives, and it's not usually an option that a true Mom and Pop operation can offer, but it's a nice alternative to constantly giving Amazon all my online business.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:03 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,532 times
This is the reason why lots of retailers start to roll out "concept store" in the Northeast.
One prime example for the brand is Bonobos.
So basically you go there to the store to try the clothes on, but you cannot buy it there.
You have to make an order in the store including the color you want, patterns, etc., pay for it and then the company will send your order to your home.

I am old fashioned in which I like to "hunt" for stuff from store to store. But again it is my (part-time) job -> personal shopper.
But even when I want to buy something for myself, I would rather try to have the merchandise in my hands.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:09 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
I only order online if I can't find something in a local store. Amazon, unless you have prime (which isn't worth it for me since I don't buy often enough) ends up being more expensive than a store especially after shipping costs. Clothes I don't order online anymore because I'm very picky with the fit. One gripe about amazon is that unless you have prime they take forever to ship your order, and then they ship it with the slowest shipping method. I'd rather buy from a vendor on Ebay that offers priority mail.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,539,106 times
Video killed the Radio star and amazon killed the Retail worker

Old 06-08-2016, 01:37 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think it's the economy. I think it's the way stores are doing business.
Successful retailers do business based on current customer trends and patterns of shopping.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:40 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
No customer service in actual stores and more variety online.
I agree. Also, it's less time consuming for many to order online versus going to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events