Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:11 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,264,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
My husband and I already serve no alcohol to anybody but our closest trustworthy friends that don't indulge.

I'm confused.

Are you saying that you only serve alcohol to people that don't drink it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 12:51 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Counter sue the parents for legal costs.

Hey I feel bad for them but at some point there are freak accidents.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:06 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
That marshmallows are too dangerous for 11 year olds is ridiculous, but there's also a claim that the hosts took too long to call 911. That part of it could be a problem for the defendants.
I don't think so. That calling part falls under the Good Samaritan Law. They sought medical assistance, so they can't be sued for not preventing the death. Offering a snack is hardly negligent behavior on the part of the homeowners. And the child was 11, not 2, so what about the decedent's responsibility to chew her food properly? Choking is uncommon in people older than toddlers unless they aren't chewing well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

Old 07-13-2016, 02:01 PM

772 posts, read 914,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Oh boy, now we need to ban parties.
\

What ?! NO!

we need to Ban marshmellows, as those are killing people, just like guns kill people

Old 07-13-2016, 02:13 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
This was the topic on a call in radio show in Boston the other night. Most people thought it was outrageous.

One person who called in said something about giant marshmallows that should be banned. I'm going to google and see if these gigantic, dangerous marshmallows really exist.

No one can keep an eye on 11 year old kids 100% of the time. I think it was nice of them to invite kids to a party--guess now kids can't have birthday parties anymore.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:25 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
It's happened before. They may have been playing a game in which you stuff your mouth full of marshmallows. But, as one commenter said, the parents would have known if she was chocking. She would have been gagging or holding her throat.

But it's happened before, even under a teacher's supervision. Who on EARTH has ever even heard of this stupid game? Maybe only kids! And maybe by the time one of the other kids went and got a parent to come into the room, the girl was already dead. Maybe the kids were too scared to tell anyone. I don't think these hosts were at fault if eleven year old kids were fooling around, playing a silly marshmallow game. They weren't four year olds, they were eleven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chubby_Bunny

Old 07-13-2016, 02:27 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,383,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This was the topic on a call in radio show in Boston the other night. Most people thought it was outrageous.

One person who called in said something about giant marshmallows that should be banned. I'm going to google and see if these gigantic, dangerous marshmallows really exist.

No one can keep an eye on 11 year old kids 100% of the time. I think it was nice of them to invite kids to a party--guess now kids can't have birthday parties anymore.
While we're at it, why don't we just ban all food items because of a choking hazard, and see how well that works out for us.

I don't care if the insurance company requires it, it's still a frivolous law suit.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:28 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
In 1984 a man went jogging during a storm. A tree fell on him, rendering him a paraplegic.

He sued the homeowner, eventually settling for over $10 million.

How he's the governor of Texas...

...and he champions laws capping punitive damages.
Wow, I did not think it possible for me to hate than man anymore, but suddenly I do.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:15 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
I totally get taking donations for funeral costs (clearly the go fund me page covered that). It's an unexpected event and terrible and people want to help out. But to go on and try to profit off of your kid's death? I don't get it. I mean, I do get punishing people by suing them and taking their money if they are truly negligent for the death (like if the parents served the 11 year old large quantities of liquor and the kid died of alcohol poisoning). But a simple accident?

I don't see how they will prove the parents weren't careful when serving marshmallows. As posted, at age 5/6 is when you stop worrying about choking hazards with kids. They could have consulted a pediatrician about what they served at this party and the marshmallows would still be there cause the doc would have said they were fine.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:27 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,855 times
another frivilous suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events