Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:43 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, how does an 11 yr. old choke on a marshmallow? Was she allergic? The parents didn't say so. Maybe they never taught her to properly chew her food, so she wolfed down a big one without chewing much. Hosts could counter-sue for parental negligence.
I don't think it would be very hard at all to be laughing or talking boisterously while popping miniature marshmallows and inhale one deep into your trachea. But I would not call that negligence on anyone's part but possibly the eater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 09:59 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,319,078 times
According to the article they were giant marshmallows. It's easy to see how someone could choke on them. We use them in s'mores. But I still don't understand why the parents are suing.

http://www.ljcfyi.com/2010/07/giant-marshmallows.html

Old 07-13-2016, 10:18 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I wonder how much was raised from the parents gofundme.
$22,465 of $20k goal
Raised by 498 people in 2 months

https://www.gofundme.com/prayforazzy

Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Seriously? Really? Come on.
Yes seriously. Someone has to take responsibility. You send your kid to someone's home and your child dies??! And you would really be like "seriously? really? Come on." You would really be like, "oh well my 9,11 year old should have known better??!!!"

Sorry. I am over this era of no one wanting to take responsibility when a child dies. "oh, I forgot my baby was in the car". Enough. You want to have a bunch of children in your house for a party- they need to be supervised. A child dies in your care- someone needs to take responsibility. There are accidents and then there is negligence.

You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is it is negligence.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:25 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
$22,465 of $20k goal
Raised by 498 people in 2 months

https://www.gofundme.com/prayforazzy
Gofundme again? My sympathy for the parents is fading, especially since lawyers take cases on contingency

Old 07-14-2016, 07:38 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Yes seriously. Someone has to take responsibility. You send your kid to someone's home and your child dies??! And you would really be like "seriously? really? Come on." You would really be like, "oh well my 9,11 year old should have known better??!!!"

Sorry. I am over this era of no one wanting to take responsibility when a child dies. "oh, I forgot my baby was in the car". Enough. You want to have a bunch of children in your house for a party- they need to be supervised. A child dies in your care- someone needs to take responsibility. There are accidents and then there is negligence.

A terrible accident is different then negligence. Not every death is a case of negligence.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:38 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:

What part of "accident" are you not understanding? 11 year olds are no more prone to choking on food than adults are. And adults are known to die from choking. And as you yourself noted, even if people know the Heimlich maneuver, it doesn't always work.

Being a child offers no immunity from accidents. There is no "responsibility" to take in this case.

Last edited by Aredhel; 07-14-2016 at 07:49 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 07:39 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
A terrible accident is different then negligence. Not every death is a case of negligence.
The system won't let me rep you, but you nailed it with this comment.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:43 AM

4,062 posts, read 2,141,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Gofundme again? My sympathy for the parents is fading, especially since lawyers take cases on contingency
It looks like the fund was originally started before she died---she was hospitalized and it was so that both parents could be with her instead of having to work and worry about how bills were going to be paid. It continued after she died for funeral expenses and again to allow the family some time to grieve. So it does seem legitimate. I don't know how people managed before sites like gofundme; I guess collections were taken up, but just limited to church/work/school/neighborhood, not people all around the world.

I am so stunned that they refer to 11 year olds as "young children"---to me they are tweens. A young child to me is too years old. Not sure choking deaths are any more common in 11 year olds than adults.

I can remember birthday parties I went to 50 years ago when I was 11. There was only one parent supervising and not much supervision, either. We were allowed to be on our own, like to do peanut hunts outside (this was way before peanut allergies). I do remember a hide and go seek game at my home one year. A kid climbed into the bathtub quickly and knocked out the glass shower door. Could have been an injury (fortunately wasn't). I'm glad that I grew up in a time when kids were allowed to be kids and not be monitored all the time. And does any parent really monitor all the time? We've all been to stores, restaurants, events, performances where parents are buried on their electronics and maybe wouldn't even notice that their kid was choking!

Old 07-14-2016, 07:50 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,036,858 times
Quote:

Ridiculous! It was an ACCIDENT, why on earth does someone always have to be to blame???

If you choked on a peanut, who's fault would it be? The peanut grower? The peanut factory? The shop that sold the peanuts? The person that bought the peanuts? The person that put a bowl of peanuts out at a party? Or would it be your fault for choking on it?

An 11 year old is old enough to be eating pretty much anything, let alone a MARSHMALOW, it's not like they forced it down the kids throat or it was a baby

Tragic that the kid is dead, but seriously no one needs to take responsibility...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events