Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:24 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times

Advertisements

Stupid greedy money-hungry parents. I wish the judge tosses this case out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,182,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
maybe there smore than meets the eye

That marshmallows are too dangerous for 11 year olds is ridiculous, but there's also a claim that the hosts took too long to call 911. That part of it could be a problem for the defendants.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:27 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
That marshmallows are too dangerous for 11 year olds is ridiculous, but there's also a claim that the hosts took too long to call 911. That part of it could be a problem for the defendants.
There would be plenty of witnesses to testify yay or nay.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:33 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Including the STAY-PUFT Marshmallow Man.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Unless the hosts were available and can show unequivocally that they responded immediately after the child started choking, a talented attorney could convince a jury that there was negligence. At least enough of a chance of a bad verdict to make settlement worth considering by the defendants.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 07-12-2016 at 11:02 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 10:58 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, that colossally sucks. Deepest condolences to the family, loss of a child is horrific.

But, I suppose to the question/theme of the post, I'd remark: I have a personal umbrella policy for (currently) a couple mil$, in case I'm sued for some equally god-forsaken and freakish reason. It happens. That was an easy sell to me along with my other policies around home and personal wealth, from my agent of a well-known insurance company.

Works for me. They can call my attorney and insurance company, in that order.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:04 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Unless the EMTs are certain to arrive within 4-5 minutes of the 911 call being placed, the precise timing of the call will have made no difference in the outcome. That's all the time you have to clear an obstructed airway; any longer than that, and either death or profound brain damage is going to be the outcome.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Unless the EMTs are certain to arrive within 4-5 minutes of the 911 call being placed, the precise timing of the call will have made no difference in the outcome. That's all the time you have to clear an obstructed airway; any longer than that, and either death or profound brain damage is going to be the outcome.

You're right, but there's always the argument that had the call been made a minute earlier, the EMTs would have been closer and/or "readier" and the child might have survived. A tough lawyer would take depositions of the responding EMTs to pinpoint their movements (and then maybe sue the city too).

The defendants would be making a mistake if they underestimated a jury's desire to somehow compensate the parents for their loss, particularly if there's insurance in the picture (tho I'm not sure if the jury could be legally apprized of that).

Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus
Not one of those issues where they have to file a lawsuit in order to get the insurance to pay out?

In any case, seems odd if they would have to, and if not, absolutely ridiculous lawsuit and is just plain and simple an attempt at profiting off a death.
Ya which means $$$$ means more to them than thier daughter!!

Very sad

Old 07-13-2016, 06:56 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times
About the timing on the call to 911. We don't know how much time passed. Eleven year old girls would not be expected to be within eyesight or earshot of the adults. The adults were probably keeping an eye on the pool. Girls this age wander off in gaggles or go hang out in the bedroom or wherever. If the girl got away from the rest of the group, she would not have been seen for a few minutes.

Maybe, as suggested previously, the insurance company is requiring the parents do have to sue to collect the money to pay for the 911 call, doctor's bills, and funeral expenses. We had three emergency room trips last year with the kids for two broken arms and one head wound with stitches. We got letters from the insurance company each time wanting to know what happened and if there was another responsible party. Um no, in each instance, my child was responsible for his or her own injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events