Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:59 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times

Advertisements

How hard would it be to make a new cars ventilate themselves to never become lethally hot inside? It would be a positive feature people would appreciate. People don't like to get into a hot car. It would save the lives of the forgotten babies. What's not to like about it? It could be a law or a rule, that new cars have to have such a feature. And it would not only save the babies, but it would also not let your DVD's melt. It could be deliberately disabled by pushing some buttons. The buttons could be strategically placed so you would have to see the whole inside of the car before you disabled the ventilation. You would only do that when you were going away on a trip and wanted to save the battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 12:19 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's a good example of why there needs to be some sort of technology to prevent people from forgetting. People are too stressed out these days, not that they want to be. It's our modern life style.

Why can't someone invent an alarm or buzzer or SOMETHING. The more I read these awful stories, the more it seems that it's a result of either confusion (as in the example in this thread where each set of parents thought the other one had the child) or stress related forgetfulness.

No, I have never forgotten my dog in the car. But I can understand how someone, very stressed out or upset from work, tired, in a hurry, especially the person who isn't usually the one with the dog or the kid, could forget. I can't understand someone forgetting if they are just casually going shopping but if they're in a hurry on their way to work, yes, I can see it.

When the car seat was in the front, I never heard of anyone forgetting. IF they have to be in the back seat then there needs to be some sort of warning system. It's getting obvious that something more is needed so that these terrible deaths can be prevented for once and for all. You'd think that some entrepreneur wanting to make money would come up with something.
This gets said every time there is one of these threads, and the answer is always the same. Those things ARE invented. The technology IS available.

The problem is if it malfunctions and a kid dies, the parents are going to make a beeline from the cemetery to the lawyer's offices, and no car manufacturer is willing to take that risk. Dead kids always win in lawsuits.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:23 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
How hard would it be to make a new cars ventilate themselves to never become lethally hot inside? It would be a positive feature people would appreciate. People don't like to get into a hot car. It would save the lives of the forgotten babies. What's not to like about it? It could be a law or a rule, that new cars have to have such a feature. And it would not only save the babies, but it would also not let your DVD's melt. It could be deliberately disabled by pushing some buttons. The buttons could be strategically placed so you would have to see the whole inside of the car before you disabled the ventilation. You would only do that when you were going away on a trip and wanted to save the battery.
Now this is a different and interesting idea.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I like this idea.

And from that article:

It was only then that the patient began to open up, and what he said was that he didn’t want any sedation, that he didn’t deserve a respite from pain, that he wanted to feel it all, and then to die.

About a father who had it happen. The article goes on to explain that it can happen to anyone--the most loving and attentive parents, the most educated, can be overtired, overworked. There is a primitive part of the human brain that kicks in.

The article also mentions that this mostly started in the 1990s when the experts learned that the airbags could kill a kid. So they changed the rules and from then on the child had to be in the backseat where the parent can't even see them. Put them in the FRONT seat where the parent can see and attend to them. It's pretty impossible to forget a child who is sitting right next to you in the front seat. Do something about the front airbags so they won't kill a child OR, if they have to sit in back, facing backwards, the above suggestion about a self ventilating car could be the answer. Not a good answer for older cars though.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
I like this idea.

And from that article:

It was only then that the patient began to open up, and what he said was that he didn’t want any sedation, that he didn’t deserve a respite from pain, that he wanted to feel it all, and then to die.

About a father who had it happen. The article goes on to explain that it can happen to anyone--the most loving and attentive parents, the most educated, can be overtired, overworked. There is a primitive part of the human brain that kicks in.

The article also mentions that this mostly started in the 1990s when the experts learned that the airbags could kill a kid. So they changed the rules and from then on the child had to be in the backseat where the parent can't even see them. Put them in the FRONT seat where the parent can see and attend to them. It's pretty impossible to forget a child who is sitting right next to you in the front seat. Do something about the front airbags so they won't kill a child OR, if they have to sit in back, facing backwards, the above suggestion about a self ventilating car could be the answer. Not a good answer for older cars though.
At first glance I would agree that it sounds like a good idea. But I think in reality the car owner would, in many cases disable it to prevent theft of goods or the vehicle itself. So you might be back to the same memory problem that you started with. Is it enabled, or disabled? Do you always remember to enable it when your child is in the car? If the manufacturers don't allow a disabling of the function, they're opening their self up to liability for stolen vehicles.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:45 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
I like this idea.

And from that article:

The self-ventilating car might also be a good seller out here in the west. I kid you not, my local newspaper people put a skillet on the dashboard of a car parked in the parking lot and cooked bacon and eggs in a few hours. When I was an EMT, our bus reached 120 degrees inside in almost no time.

These deaths are particularly horrific to me because I've experienced desert heat in a hot car.

Official temp the other day here was 115. In the shade.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:09 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
I dread going out to the grocery on hot days, wondering if I will hear a distraught child's cry or a pitiful bark from the inner blackness of a locked car. And I HAVE encountered a few dogs in distress and I HAVE been cussed out for reporting them to the local police for rescue.
People are *******s and should be locked up in a hot car as punishment! There is NO excuse!

Old 08-05-2016, 01:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I dread going out to the grocery on hot days, wondering if I will hear a distraught child's cry or a pitiful bark from the inner blackness of a locked car. And I HAVE encountered a few dogs in distress and I HAVE been cussed out for reporting them to the local police for rescue.
People are *******s and should be locked up in a hot car as punishment! There is NO excuse!
There is no excuse.

A father in Georgia has been arrested for involuntary manslaughter, he left his twin toddlers who died in the car. I just can't get how you can forget.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Another one. I guess the dad was drinking while his wife was out of town.

The dad was screaming and trying to revive the girls, and neighbors tried to help, but it was too late for these adorable twin girls.

I think they had better keep him in jail, because if I was those babies mother... Let's just say another crime would be committed.

Drinking dad charged in hot-car deaths of his twin toddlers in Georgia | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 08-06-2016, 08:53 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Angry *

Stupid bloody morons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events