Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:40 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,627,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
what is wrong with these people? Was the woman busy playing Pac Man?
She was supposed to drop the baby off at the sitter but she was running late for the dentist appointment and the 7 year old was throwing a fit about going. Forgot all about the little one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 11,606 times
When will America stop acting like a whining banana republic and finally organize a long overdue national contest for the best Forget-Me-Not (and lifesaver for kids) device? There are solutions out there, like the most reliable and affordable one -- Never Forget Us!, but those in charge -- politicians, DOT, NHTSA, child protection agencies and the like -- couldn't care less (unless they are utterly inept).

Recommending parents and caregivers to use stuffed animals as reminders (i.e., lifesavers) for kids in cars is beyond ridiculous in the 21st century ...

Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
Child dies in hot car while family worships in church

DALLAS, TX – A 3-year-old boy died on Sunday after he was accidentally left in a hot car parked outside a church, according to police.

The child’s family was attending an afternoon Bible study at Rehoboth Praise Assembly in Dallas, according to CBS Dallas.

Child dies in hot car while family worships in church | fox8.com
How do people forget kids and pets in cars? Honestly, if you're that irresponsible you need to be locked up and have the key thrown away. That will prevent you from having another kid.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:59 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It happens.

I don't have kids so it's never happened to me, but I know perfectly sane and responsible people who've had to double back to their car to retrieve a sleeping baby in a car seat. If you're in a hurry, tired, stressed out, etc. and especially if you're deviating from your daily routine it's easier than you think to forget a sleeping child in the car.

Haven't you ever left something in the car...a laptop bag, purse, phone, bag of groceries, etc?
Yes, it does happen and it is very sad.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:29 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
I'm sorry, but I just don't see how you can forget that you have a baby, small child or pet in the car. You knew when you left home that they were with you, now all of sudden you are so stressed, or busy that it just slips your mind? Why not just glance quickly around the car and see if you forgot anything (anyone) before getting out? IMO there is no excuse for this. When people say the parents will have to live with it the rest of their lives - good - the poor child or dog no longer has a life and died a miserable death because their parents/owner was a dumb ass.

I especially don't get the parents whose child is left in the car for 8 or more hours while they are at work because they forgot to drop the baby off at child care. When my daughter was little, she was in my thoughts several times throughout the day (you wonder what they are doing, how they are doing, or are just thinking about them). I just don't find any excuse acceptable for such carelessness when it comes to your loved ones.

Last edited by Praline; 07-28-2016 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 12:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
HOW do YOU FORGET YOUR KID??????????

Old 07-28-2016, 12:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The summer of death for kids in cars.

Keeps happening over and over year after year.
This wasn't so frequent years ago. People paid attention.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I'm sorry but I just don't see how you can forget that you have a baby, small child or pet in the car. You knew when you left home that they were with you, now all of sudden you are so stressed, or busy that it just slips your mind? Why not just glance quickly around the car and see if you forgot anything (anyone) before getting out? IMO there is no excuse for this. When people say the parents will have to live with it the rest of their lives - good - the poor child or dog no longer has a life and died a miserable death because their parents/owner was a dumbass.

I especially don't get the parents whose child is left in the car for 8 or more hours while they are at work because they forgot to drop the baby off at child care. When I my daughter was little, she was in my thoughts several times throughout the day (you wonder what they are doing, how they are doing, or are just thinking about them). I just don't find any excuse acceptable for such carelessness when it comes to your loved ones.
Very well said. I don't find the excuses acceptable. Most people turn and look at their car when they're getting out it, how do you not see a child?

Old 07-28-2016, 01:19 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times
Default It's more work now - but still

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Seat belts for adults didn't become standard in the US until the 1960s. Car safety restraints for children were also developed @ about the same time. Part of the issue - of children left in cars - may be that due to airbags, most child restraint seats are supposed to be installed in the back seat. Which means that the driver has to look around back there to see the seat/child.

If the driver is distracted, distraught, etc. & if the child is asleep or quiet in the seat, it's easier for the driver to miss that he/she has a passenger. Realistically, the driver has to look in the back seat every time - best to get in the habit - just to make sure. (& check the floor, too. Babies get to the point that they may be able to undo the restraints & climb out of the seat.)

Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Check out this statistic: http://noheatstroke.org/

It contradicts your claim. 2015 was the lowest death toll in 18 years.

It's a terribly sad thing. Because the media is more pervasive, present and accessible today than ever before just means we hear more about it, it does not mean that there is more to hear about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events