Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times

Advertisements

When I was learning to fly, they taught us:

"Every landing is a crash landing". You are crashing back to earth. The secret, is to control the crash, so you do not damage any passengers or the plane. It is the uncontrolled crash that gets you in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:00 PM

4,203 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It happens from time to time.

An engine failed on a Qantas flight a few years ago. Passengers could see the damage to the wing caused by the uncontained failure, as well as pieces of the engine breaking away and occasional flames. But the aircraft landed safely and there were no injuries.

Qantas jet passengers saw engine blow up live on in-flight TV screens - Mirror Online

And it could be worse. Imagine sitting next to this - it took this 747 15 minutes to get on the ground after this cargo door blew out.

Or this? It also took 15 minutes, after 18 feet of this 737's roof peeled away in flight, for the pilot to get the plane back on the ground.

I'm surprised no amusement park has designed a 'ride' like that yet....

Old 07-29-2016, 06:53 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
This passenger plane had to do an emergency landing after a big "boom" and flames coming out of it.

I think I would have had a heart attack right then and there. I hate flying. I witnessed a small plane crash as a child. Unfortunately, I have to do it for work.

Flames force American Airlines jet to make emergency landing
oh my goodness me too! i absolutely hate to fly....i was in jr high in san diego when the psa plane crash happened..a girl from my school lost her mom, my 6th grade teacher lost his son, and my mom and grandma were supposed to be on that flight but got bumped! i hate flying, the smallest amount of turbulence makes me think we are going down!

Old 07-29-2016, 07:10 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Flying lessons - $10

Landing lessons - $100

Old 07-29-2016, 07:14 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Flying lessons - $10

Landing lessons - $100
Helicopter instructor to first-day student once they're in the air: "If anything happens to me you have about 10 seconds to live."

Old 07-29-2016, 08:48 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
I'm surprised no amusement park has designed a 'ride' like that yet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ai1LctwIQ

Old 07-29-2016, 08:49 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Quote:
This passenger plane had to do an emergency landing after a big "boom" and flames coming out of it.

I think I would have had a heart attack right then and there. I hate flying. I witnessed a small plane crash as a child. Unfortunately, I have to do it for work.

Flames force American Airlines jet to make emergency landing
IF not heart attacks, I imagine there were probably some 'tinky drawers that needed changing ASAP.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Quote:
That's funny.

I got jacked around by TSA a few weeks ago because I had an unopened can of Progresso clam chowder in my suitcase. Flying just sucks.
I had a small bottle of key lime juice in my carry on when flying back from Orlando. The TSA agent picked up the sign that listed all the forbidden carry on items and literally screamed, "DO YOU READ ENGLISH?? CAN YOU READ???"

You can't even file a complaint about TSA agents. No one cares. Flying sucks.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I had a small bottle of key lime juice in my carry on when flying back from Orlando. The TSA agent picked up the sign that listed all the forbidden carry on items and literally screamed, "DO YOU READ ENGLISH?? CAN YOU READ???"

You can't even file a complaint about TSA agents. No one cares. Flying sucks.

I think I would have yelled back at her "God bless you and I will see you when the trumpet blows " and let her figure that one out . LOL .

Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Besides witnessing a Cessna crash as a child, I also met a survivor of that famous plane crash decades ago where the people basically jumped out into a cornfield.

I know that flying is safer than driving, but there aren't any fender benders at 30,000 feet. Ugh.

TSA just makes the whole experience that more miserable. Btw, if you do TSA -pre, they let you leave your shoes on, breeze through security, etc. it just costs $85 per year. Are they interested in my safety, or my money? You decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events