Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 04:06 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Those are the exception. 95% of people involved in a plane crash survive.
Is that figure for just commercial jet airliners, or all types of aircraft, including general aviation and military? If you look at just large commercial jet crashes, I don't think the survival rate would be quite that high. I'm not disputing whatever facts you're referring to, but I have to be skeptical of what that includes.
Most of the major airline crashes that I've read about, or seen documentaries on, over the past 30 years show something different. In most of those crashes, many more people lost their lives than survived. No where near 95% survival rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 04:58 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Is that figure for just commercial jet airliners, or all types of aircraft, including general aviation and military? If you look at just large commercial jet crashes, I don't think the survival rate would be quite that high. I'm not disputing whatever facts you're referring to, but I have to be skeptical of what that includes.
Most of the major airline crashes that I've read about, or seen documentaries on, over the past 30 years show something different. In most of those crashes, many more people lost their lives than survived. No where near 95% survival rate.
I understand where you are coming from but we tend to hear in the news, and remember, all the most horrid cases. I'm sure there are many cases of planes, big and small, that are involved in a a crash with minimal damage and everyone walks away. Crashes that only make the local news or are not so memorable.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I understand where you are coming from but we tend to hear in the news, and remember, all the most horrid cases. I'm sure there are many cases of planes, big and small, that are involved in a a crash with minimal damage and everyone walks away. Crashes that only make the local news or are not so memorable.
I agree. Crashes involving smaller aircraft don't involve as many people, so that's going to effect the survival rate when compared to total number of crash incidents including all types of aircraft. But I think it's misleading to say that if your are on a commercial jet and it crashes, you have a 95% chance of survival in that particular crash. Which was the inference of the post I responded to.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
But I think it's misleading to say that if your are on a commercial jet and it crashes, you have a 95% chance of survival in that particular crash. Which was the inference of the post I responded to.
Overall your chance of being in a plane crash and surviving is 95%. Not that any particular plane crash has a 95% survival rate.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:30 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
That was just the new afterburning mod they're installing on certain planes. Gotta go fast.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Overall your chance of being in a plane crash and surviving is 95%. Not that any particular plane crash has a 95% survival rate.
Ok, I probably misunderstand the post. Put that way, I would agree on the 95% figure.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:27 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That's funny.

I got jacked around by TSA a few weeks ago because I had an unopened can of Progresso clam chowder in my suitcase. Flying just sucks.

was it more than 3 ounces? you should know the rules- you jacked them around-and probably held other people up while doing it.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
was it more than 3 ounces? you should know the rules- you jacked them around-and probably held other people up while doing it.
Well, it was a chunky style soup, I forgot that it was in my suitcase because I didn't even think of it as a liquid, and I didn't argue when they took it. And no. I didn't hold up the line. They just pulled me aside.

I just found it amusing that they took it and wiped it down with one of those explosive detector thingies. In fact, I winked at the guy and asked him if he wanted some crackers to go with it.

I've had my ponytail hand searched and my underwire bra hand-wanded before. It's all part of the joy of flying post 9-11.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:46 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I had a friend who was afraid of flying but had to take a lot of airplane trips on his job.

"My favorite part of the flight is the landing!"

"Dude! That's when the pilot is TRYING TO HIT THE GROUND!!"

I don't think he ever forgave me for that.
I can joke about my phobia even when I'm in the middle of squeezing my husband's hand so hard it remains swollen for many hours afterwards.
My favorite part of flying is.......not flying. Takes too long to get to Europe by boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Landing is not hard.

That plane is gonna land one way or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I'm terrified of flying. The feeling of just not being in control, and that if there's an emergency, there's nothing you can do.

I realize how irrational that fear is, and I'm well aware that you're much more likely to be in a car accident than a plane crash. None of that means anything to me LOL.

that said, if I were on a plane and one of the engines exploded, like the OP, I might just have a heart attack right then and there. Goodbye, world.
I am petrified of flying - didn't used to be. There was a time in college when I was the one laughing and joking about landing on top of the mountain in West Virginia. Something happened in between then and the first flight I took with my sons - I became a mother.

I have tried mild tranquilizers but they don't take effect until after landing when I can relax. The worst trip was to Spain when we hit storms. Every bump had me letting out some kind of scream try as I might to stifle these outbursts.

I will still fly as it's the best way to get somewhere without blowing the entire budget on overnight stays to get there. I did find that one of the trips from NYC back to TN was on a smaller jet which didn't do that horrible straight up in the air take-off and the landing was a gentle glide. That made me think that maybe I should take flying lessons so we could rent a small plane for our trips around the country.

Still just a thought, but we do have a small airport close by.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
I know that flying is safer than driving, but there aren't any fender benders at 30,000 feet. Ugh.
There have been some when 2 planes bumped one another. Sometimes one or both of them got back to the airport safely, and sometimes not. Lately several problems with drones and planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events