Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 11:11 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
As a kid in the 50's/60's going to the Boardwalk at the Jersey shore, I used to ride the roller coasters with my Dad all the time. Mom would just wait and watch while we had a ball. They didn't have the extreme rides of today's parks, but if they did, my Dad probably would've wanted to take me on them. But he would've been with me! I hate to judge before the facts come out, but I just cannot imagine a 10-year-old being on this ride by himself. If he snuck away, it's not like he could've immediately gotten on the ride -- did you see how many steps there are? And if he didn't sneak away, then that means one of the parents allowed him to go by himself, which I just cannot fathom on a 17-story-high ride.
Two women who are not family members were also in the raft at the time and were treated for facial injuries...their combined raft weight was 393 lbs, short of the minimum required of 400 lbs.
Source: Boy Was Decapitated on Waterslide at Kansas Park - ABC News
Other news repots mentioned that participants are Velcro strapped in and that it was discovered many of the Velcro straps were worn beyond safety standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 11:34 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
so after 100,000 riders or so it's suddenly a design flaw? You came to some very early conclusions before facts came out. I guess my point would be to wait until after the full investigation.
Velcro deteriorates over time. It could be bad design+velcro harness+underweight raft+X factor (maybe the boy had his hands raised, further weakening the velcro and keeping him from holding the side straps)= disaster.

Do you know the story of Japan Air Flight 123? It's one of the worst, if not the worst plane crash in history. It was apparently caused by some damage the plane received upon landing and that damage was either never fixed or not fixed properly. The damage occurred years before the crash and the plane flew plenty of times, but one day, it just gave out and the plane crashed. Why that flight, why that moment, who knows, but at some point in time, that plane was going to crash. It could have just been a ticking time bomb waiting for the right circumstances to happen.

Same with this water slide. The flaw could have been there all along and only just now became an issue. The ride is only 2 years old after all and it only operates during the summer. This ride could have been a ticking time bomb from the moment it opened and a death may have been inevitable due to a design flaw. After all, design flaws is what delayed the original opening date.

Last edited by eevee; 08-10-2016 at 11:51 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 09:46 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Velcro deteriorates over time. It could be bad design+velcro harness+underweight raft+X factor (maybe the boy had his hands raised, further weakening the velcro and keeping him from holding the side straps)= disaster.

Do you know the story of Japan Air Flight 123? It's one of the worst, if not the worst plane crash in history. It was apparently caused by some damage the plane received upon landing and that damage was either never fixed or not fixed properly. The damage occurred years before the crash and the plane flew plenty of times, but one day, it just gave out and the plane crashed. Why that flight, why that moment, who knows, but at some point in time, that plane was going to crash. It could have just been a ticking time bomb waiting for the right circumstances to happen.

Same with this water slide. The flaw could have been there all along and only just now became an issue. The ride is only 2 years old after all and it only operates during the summer. This ride could have been a ticking time bomb from the moment it opened and a death may have been inevitable due to a design flaw. After all, design flaws is what delayed the original opening date.
Remember it well. The aircraft had a tail strike during a landing that fractured the main aft pressure bulkhead, which is an all one-piece structure the fuselage is built around. It was repaired by replacing the bulkhead in two pieces out of necessity, and the work was done/overseen by Boeing engineers. For some reason unknown, they deviated from plans and left out a critical second row of rivets during assembly. Subsequent flights and the pressurization cycle caused stress cracks around the seam joint, leading to the inevitable catastrophic failure that blew the tail off the aircraft.
btw- I think the all-time worst airline disaster, in terms of casualties, was the runway collision in the Canary Islands during the 70's. Pilot hubris caused that one.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Or the space shuttle before the Challenger disaster, for that matter; an O-ring accident just waiting to happen. Seems this one was fairly foreseeable (and thus preventable), however.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:58 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

That's basically my whole point as I was challenging people that were trying to pin the whole thing on a design flaw. I was just rebutting the cadre of posters making wild guesses that happened to line up with an agenda driven narrative they were trying to push.

Let's wait until we get all the information.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 PM

9 posts, read 12,891 times
I heard about that.....what a very terrible thing to happen to that poor kid. My condolences to his family, especially for the brother who was greatly traumatized by what he saw.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:35 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotOldSchool View Post
I heard about that.....what a very terrible thing to happen to that poor kid. My condolences to his family, especially for the brother who was greatly traumatized by what he saw.
Yes.

It was over for the victim in an instant - as I noted before, he probably was unconscious in and instant and then dead within seconds.

But his brother? He'll still be haunted and pained by this experience half a century from now. Mom and Dad will spend the rest of their lives never fully getting over it. Those two women in the raft? Them, too. And others - the ride operators, other park visitors who saw what happened - as well.

The amount of emotional suffering to emerge from this event will be considerable in the final toll.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotOldSchool View Post
What did he see and how did he see it? It was my understanding that he was riding with two unrelated women.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:26 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What did he see and how did he see it? It was my understanding that he was riding with two unrelated women.
The brother was waiting at the bottom of the ride, having just ridden it.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think most safety regulations make a great deal of sense. A certain presidential candidate says he wants to "cut regulation by 75%. I hope that candidate is referring to something other than safety regulations.
You're source of information on a "certain political candidate" is incorrect.
This is the actual quote from the "certain political candidate" (and I am no fan of his either, I just like fairness in reporting):

"Motor vehicle manufacturing is one of the most heavily regulated industries in the country. The U.S. economy today is twenty-five percent smaller than it would have been without the surge of regulations since 1980.

It is estimated that current overregulation is costing our economy as much as $2 trillion dollars a year – that’s money taken straight out of cities like yours.

The federal register is now over 80,000 pages long. As the Wall Street Journal noted, President Obama has issued close to four hundred new major regulations since taking office, each with a cost to the American economy of $100 million or more.

In 2015 alone, the Obama Administration unilaterally issued more than 2,000 new regulations – each a hidden tax on American consumers, and a massive lead weight on the American economy.
I will ask each and every federal agency to prepare a list of all of the regulations they impose on Americans which are not necessary, do not improve public safety, and which needlessly kill jobs. Those regulations will be eliminated."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events