Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:43 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Crocs are bad...at least little kids. There is a reason why most schools don't allow kids to wear them to school. They are prone to tripping in them. They cause all sorts of accidents. Plus the whole escalators might maim your kid wearing them.

I wont lie, my kids have worn them since they were maybe 4 or 5. Nice summer shoe. They have different "styles" to fit different types of feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I always carry a 2 year old on the escalator. They don't have the motor skills at that age to be safe. At about age 4 I let them walk on but only while holding my hand & first we practice "1-2-3 & step", I hold one hand while they hold the rail & then "1-2-3 & step" again to get off.
My kids are a year apart and I think I carried them both until the oldest was about 4 and wanted to do it himself. Then I carried my younger (daughter) until she was 7 or 8 cause she was afraid of them. Even carrying diaper bags and folded up strollers I would carry my toddlers. I don't know, it seems weird to me to let a 2 year old walk on an escalator. They don't seem very safe to me.

Im thinking about it...would I sue? Most likely not. I have had reason to sue before and haven't done it. I just don't want the head ache. But if my kid's foot was crushed and they needed more medical care then I could afford, I might. I don't know if that is the case here. Doesn't sound like it.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:04 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Not all escalators 'go flat'.

Those that do are designed to block access to closed off areas, like closed airport terminals.

Regular escalators just turn into stairs when power is off.
I know they don't. But the one I referenced did. With thirty or forty people and their luggage on it. I posted a link up thread.

I don't know what exactly happened to this little kid, except that he's in danger of losing his foot because it was mangled and apparently the skin grafts had some complications. Were crocs to blame? I don't know. Was the escalator to blame? I don't know. I do know it wasn't the fault of a two year old.

I still don't like escalators. I take the stairs or an elevator if possible.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:58 AM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times
It's been well known for years that wearing crocs on escalators is dangerous. I'd like to know, in what way was this escalator malfunctioning? As someone who has been in retail management, I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen someone do or wear something stupid on an escalator. The worst are the parents who try to put a baby stroller on the escalator, despite the fact that signs very clearly forbid it, and the elevator was only a few feet away. In my experience, about 95% of the parents who I very politely asked not to get on the escalator with a stroller got very angry and did it anyway. Apparently, the fact that an escalator is 10,000 lbs of moving steel, and that their young child could be in danger, wasn't as important to them as them being right and having the right to do whatever they damn well felt like. I've seen my share of escalator accidents, and many of them were due to children wearing crocs.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:08 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Surprised the escalator firm wasn't sued. Usually several parties are, and lawyers are looking for deep pockets to get an out of court settlement. I once worked for a machine tool company and they were always getting sued. Injuries were usually due to misuse.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:10 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
It's been well known for years that wearing crocs on escalators is dangerous. I'd like to know, in what way was this escalator malfunctioning? As someone who has been in retail management, I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen someone do or wear something stupid on an escalator. The worst are the parents who try to put a baby stroller on the escalator, despite the fact that signs very clearly forbid it, and the elevator was only a few feet away. In my experience, about 95% of the parents who I very politely asked not to get on the escalator with a stroller got very angry and did it anyway. Apparently, the fact that an escalator is 10,000 lbs of moving steel, and that their young child could be in danger, wasn't as important to them as them being right and having the right to do whatever they damn well felt like. I've seen my share of escalator accidents, and many of them were due to children wearing crocs.
What happened in the accidents you saw? Do the crocs get caught in the grooves? One of the articles mentioned a sticking problem.

I had honestly never heard of this before, but my kids were grown before Crocs became a thing, and I don't watch much tv news.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:36 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times
It's usually someone else's fault. Personal responsibility is almost non-existent in this country.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
It's usually someone else's fault. Personal responsibility is almost non-existent in this country.
Not true. It everyone who got hurt somewhere sued, almost everyone you know would be suing someone. I would personally have at least 5 suits going right now.

It wouldn't make the news either. Everyone would be suing everyone and it wouldn't garner any attention at all.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:23 PM

119 posts, read 89,027 times
You guys realize that you'll make a thread that's 3000+ posts long deriding this lawsuit and in the meantime some jury will be assembled where they look at the kid with a tear running down his cheek and award the parents $30 million, right? I'm just making sure you guys are aware of that.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:49 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
escalators are extremely dangerous, once one stopped when I was on it and I was stuck there for almost an hour until a fireman came and carried me to safety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events