Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:44 AM

119 posts, read 88,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Lawsuits aren't necessarily about the ability to pay one's medical bills. You know that, right? At their purest, lawsuits are about assigning responsibility for the cause of the medical bills.

Multi-millionaires can be injured by another party and sue to have that party pay if they are found responsible. Ability to pay doesn't factor into it.
If someone is at fault, sure. The point was that guy said that if you can't pay your medical bills and would therefore go bankrupt, the solution is just to sue someone so that they'll pay them. That's why you read stories like this and most people would just say "this was an accident, but nobody was at fault" and we're all wondering who has the nerve to sue. Technically, you can always say it was "someone's fault." For example, we've all seen sidewalks with cracks or even broken over tree roots. If I was on such a sidewalk and fell, even if I injured myself I wouldn't think "who can I sue FOR JUSTICE???" I'd say "obviously, there was a crack, I saw it, I walked on it, I fell." But now we have people who sue the city for not maintaining the sidewalk, which is inane. Or let's say you were going up some stairs and the handrail was shaky. You might fall, but honestly not because of the handrail. But someone will go "OMG, the handrail was shaky, clearly that was why you fell! (wink wink) Now we have them!"

And the worse part is that many people, as you can see, have the attitude that this constitutes "being smart" or "outmaneuvering the evil insurance companies." It's essentially a game to them and if they lose it, it justifies the game even more. "The insurance company could have just given me $5000 to make me go away, but look at how they fought me! That proves how money hungry they are! Oh, well, I'll get them next time." Most law has stopped being about correcting an actual wrong and more about technicalities and crowding the courts with frivolous suits.

There was a thread on the forum where someone's car got dinged by a shopping cart in the parking lot. And people were honestly giving advice to sue the supermarket, since they have the "responsibility" to keep their parking lots clear at all times. We've all been enraged when our cars get dinged or scratched, and worse when we don't know who did it. But only a small few then go "well, why should this have to happen to me?? I'm going to sue someone to fix it." Yeah, it wasn't your fault, but all you're doing is passing it onto someone else and saying "it's cool, they can afford it and that's what liability is for."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 06:45 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Wearing flip-flop sandals is hard on your feet and legs, if you try to move at anything but a slow pace. I tried them for a month one Summer and they caused painful splits in the skin and callouses all around the rims of my feet. They are so loose, that they could get caught in many places that could cause injury.

And I never go near escalators. Always the stairs, two at a time, for the exercise. I hope the kid heals fully and also always takes the stairs in the future.

That is true about flip flops, can't stand the things. Crocs are more like slip on shoes. I wear them 40+ hours a week and never had a problem.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Why didn't the parents research the brand of shoes they put on their 2 year old who is just beginning to walk. Crocs have a reputation for being unsafe. The media and the Internet is full of stories of injuries. I'm sorry for their little boy and what he had to go through, but it was the parents' choice to buy those shoes and I don't understand why they would even sue the hotel. At the age of two, most toddlers are carried by their parents up and down escalators still, even though they are starting to walk. Escalators can be tricky for a 2 year old to maneuver and common sense would be to pick up the child and carry him while on the escalator. I guess it is easier to blame other people and more lucrative.
This.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:29 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think because the material they are made from is soft and can compress into small spaces and then expand, trapping the shoe. They also tend to grip more then the average shoe on dry surfaces.

My own son tripped and hit his head, needing stitches on his head, because he was running in crocs and tripped up on them...I think it was the grip to the ground. Well I wasnt there but the person who was felt that is what caused it. He really isn't prone to tripping, so it could be. No desire to sue. Yes, we have a $150 ER co-pay and my kid was upset. Then again, the kid here went through much more then that.
understood. Hope your kiddo is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Wearing flip-flop sandals is hard on your feet and legs, if you try to move at anything but a slow pace. I tried them for a month one Summer and they caused painful splits in the skin and callouses all around the rims of my feet. They are so loose, that they could get caught in many places that could cause injury.

And I never go near escalators. Always the stairs, two at a time, for the exercise. I hope the kid heals fully and also always takes the stairs in the future.
Never wore flip flops or sandals as a kid. Barefoot or tennis shoes/sneakers.

I recall how slowly folks wearing flip-flops were compared to us sneaker shod kids.

Riding the escalator was loads of fun as kid. Too bad. This part of CD is like news of the weird for all the strange things which happen. Odd angry shot of ill fortune and all that.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-24-2016 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events