Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:06 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
When my kids first stared wearing crocs, maybe 6 years ago, there was a huge warning coming out about crocs and escalators. Did they stop issuing the warning? My kids wore them but I made triple sure they were watched closely on escalators. Even without crocs, I am totally on top of my kids on them. But at 2? I didn't even let my kids step off without me right there.

Sorry, parents weren't watching. It seems like some parents go on vacation from parenting when on vacation and think nothing bad can happen....
Never worn crocs. What design issue makes them unusual so that a warning has to be issued.

I saw some at the gym yesterday. Look like oversized rubber sandals.

Nb: I just saw Genghis' video. No foot was in the sandal and the angle of projection looked unusual. Oh well. Riding an escalator was so much fun as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 AM

119 posts, read 88,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Well yeah laws are rules? This is a system of rules for these sorts of problems, the whole point of my posts in the first place.
Actually, what 90% of people have identified is that people have abused the system. The other 10% of people are the ones abusing it who benefit from that. You're in the 10%, since you have stated that if someone can't pay for their medical bills, they should just find someone to sue in order to have them pay for it.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:13 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schempgo View Post
Actually, what 90% of people have identified is that people have abused the system. The other 10% of people are the ones abusing it who benefit from that. You're in the 10%, since you have stated that if someone can't pay for their medical bills, they should just find someone to sue in order to have them pay for it.
If that's what you take away from this then alright. Your mind is already made up.

If I'm representing the insurer, I'm trying to get you into the jury pool.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
My home isn't a public place with any expectation of safety to third parties. These aren't the same thing. I don't have any escalators in my home do you?

Your defense of insurers is admirable, as someone who's worked on behalf of insurers in these sorts of matters I promise they'll be okay.
Yes the insurer will be ok, but it is stupid lawsuits like this which causes rates for their clients to increase dramatically.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:52 PM

762 posts, read 610,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I knew a girl (this was 30 years ago) who broke her ankle severely when her shoelace got caught in an escalator. No one thought of suing the shoelace manufacturer back then. They just went to the hospital and learned an important lesson about one's personal responsibility for their own safety.
That's what I was thinking. Could happen with any shoelaces or any brand of shoes.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:58 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
That's what I was thinking. Could happen with any shoelaces or any brand of shoes.
It could, but it didn't. What will be determined is if it is more likely to happen while wearing Crocs as opposed to conventional shoes. Crocs are very specific in design and they have a brand to protect, so I imagine they will do everything they can to make it seem like the parents are at fault to protect themselves and their money and their brand which I am sure makes a lot of you happy. Otherwise suing so that the kid's medical bills are paid is just par for the course and I wouldn't expect anything less.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:22 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
And if the for-profit insurance company gets out of paying that medical bill, and the patient files bankruptcy because they can't afford it? Guess who pays it? Why, you do. In the form of higher costs, taxes, etc.

But, it's cool you're looking out for the insurance companies bottom line. I'm sure AIG and the gang appreciate it.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:37 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
Quote:
Why should anyone care that you can't pay your medical bills? You act like it's against the law for you to have medical bills if you can't pay for them.
Lawsuits aren't necessarily about the ability to pay one's medical bills. You know that, right? At their purest, lawsuits are about assigning responsibility for the cause of the medical bills.

Multi-millionaires can be injured by another party and sue to have that party pay if they are found responsible. Ability to pay doesn't factor into it.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:35 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Never worn crocs. What design issue makes them unusual so that a warning has to be issued.

I saw some at the gym yesterday. Look like oversized rubber sandals.

Nb: I just saw Genghis' video. No foot was in the sandal and the angle of projection looked unusual. Oh well. Riding an escalator was so much fun as a kid.
I think because the material they are made from is soft and can compress into small spaces and then expand, trapping the shoe. They also tend to grip more then the average shoe on dry surfaces.

My own son tripped and hit his head, needing stitches on his head, because he was running in crocs and tripped up on them...I think it was the grip to the ground. Well I wasnt there but the person who was felt that is what caused it. He really isn't prone to tripping, so it could be. No desire to sue. Yes, we have a $150 ER co-pay and my kid was upset. Then again, the kid here went through much more then that.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:20 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Wearing flip-flop sandals is hard on your feet and legs, if you try to move at anything but a slow pace. I tried them for a month one Summer and they caused painful splits in the skin and callouses all around the rims of my feet. They are so loose, that they could get caught in many places that could cause injury.

And I never go near escalators. Always the stairs, two at a time, for the exercise. I hope the kid heals fully and also always takes the stairs in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events