Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:41 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times

Advertisements

I saw this earlier. I wonder if the insurance company is making them sue? Every time one of my kids end up in the emergency room, we get a letter from the insurance company wanting to know if there are other responsible parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 08:56 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Uh they don't normally go flat when they stop running
Uh, well, this time it did.

Cause of airport escalator failure remains unknown - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 08-19-2016, 08:58 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
When my kids first stared wearing crocs, maybe 6 years ago, there was a huge warning coming out about crocs and escalators. Did they stop issuing the warning? My kids wore them but I made triple sure they were watched closely on escalators. Even without crocs, I am totally on top of my kids on them. But at 2? I didn't even let my kids step off without me right there.

Sorry, parents weren't watching. It seems like some parents go on vacation from parenting when on vacation and think nothing bad can happen....

Old 08-19-2016, 09:52 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
I'm surprised they didn't throw the surgeon who did the 1st surgery since there were complications with the skin graft into the lawsuit...this is just another ambulance chasing lawsuit that has no place being filed since it's known that Crocs and escalators don't mix.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:03 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
Why didn't the parents research the brand of shoes they put on their 2 year old who is just beginning to walk. Crocs have a reputation for being unsafe. The media and the Internet is full of stories of injuries. I'm sorry for their little boy and what he had to go through, but it was the parents' choice to buy those shoes and I don't understand why they would even sue the hotel. At the age of two, most toddlers are carried by their parents up and down escalators still, even though they are starting to walk. Escalators can be tricky for a 2 year old to maneuver and common sense would be to pick up the child and carry him while on the escalator. I guess it is easier to blame other people and more lucrative.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:18 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Why didn't the parents research the brand of shoes they put on their 2 year old who is just beginning to walk. Crocs have a reputation for being unsafe. The media and the Internet is full of stories of injuries. I'm sorry for their little boy and what he had to go through, but it was the parents' choice to buy those shoes and I don't understand why they would even sue the hotel. At the age of two, most toddlers are carried by their parents up and down escalators still, even though they are starting to walk. Escalators can be tricky for a 2 year old to maneuver and common sense would be to pick up the child and carry him while on the escalator. I guess it is easier to blame other people and more lucrative.
Really? I've never heard anything about Crocs other than them being hideous looking, but comfy. A lot of the doctors I used to work with wore them with their scrubs.

I have a pair, but I only wear them to garden.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:21 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I hate escalators. They had one malfunction at the airport here years ago. It suddenly went flat ( like when they are turned off ) turning the whole thing into a giant slide. People and their luggage all came tumbling down on each other. What a mess.

Because of our state laws about liability at the airport, maximum damages would have been paid at 10k, if i recall correctly. If your medical bills and lost wages exceeded that? Too bad.

Poor kid. Bet he has a phobia of those things for life. Hope he doesn't lose part of his foot.
The image of escalators going flat is so scary - I hope I don't have a nightmare tonight when I go to sleep. I am comfortable around escalators except sometimes they have it running a bit fast so when you take that tentative first step it's kind of scary and I can only imagine how it would be for a little kid.

Speaking of escalators, I have been noticing idiots at the mall trying to go up the down escalator. Now, if they were to fall I bet their parents would file a lawsuit. "The escalator by its presence tempted my child into doing something idiotic for fun" Yep, they might just win, too. World has gone lawsuit crazy.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:37 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
I always carry a 2 year old on the escalator. They don't have the motor skills at that age to be safe. At about age 4 I let them walk on but only while holding my hand & first we practice "1-2-3 & step", I hold one hand while they hold the rail & then "1-2-3 & step" again to get off.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:05 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,214,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Thanks to inaccurate movies and phobias people are more scared of elevators than escalators. Escalators are motorized meat grinders. Even in perfect condition, these accidents are possible if people ignore the warning signs and instructions on escalators. If the escalator's safety features were working and the escalator was in good working condition then there should be no liability on the part of neither the hotel nor shoe. It would be a problem of lax parenting. If any of the safety features involved in the accident failed then it would be a liability for the hotel and or the repair company that services the elevator. Does the state have a required independent or state official inspection program and if so, when was the last inspection.
The parents should hold at least some responsibility even if there was some slight code violation.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:51 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Surprise, surprise. These are people who can perform surgery and don't know how to take their child safely up an elevator. It doesn't surprise me.

As Sarahsez said (that sounds odd), they may have been strongly advised to sue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events