Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
escalators are extremely dangerous, once one stopped when I was on it and I was stuck there for almost an hour until a fireman came and carried me to safety
I hope you weren't wearing crocs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 07:13 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Haven't we all heard enough escalator horror stories that we watch where our kids stand on them?

Old 08-21-2016, 08:33 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Let's rephrase this because the framing of these issues gets people worked up in a tizzy without understanding the entire context.

Kid gets injured on an escalator while wearing crocs, medical bills are expensive, they need help paying for them, so what to do? Call up a Plaintiff's lawyer.

Plaintiff's lawyer then figures out every party that could possible be at fault and does one of two things. He either:

(1) Sues every single entity that could be at fault, including safety inspectors, premises owners, shoe manufacturers, really anybody.
By doing this, he then sends a notice of claim to each entity which then forwards that information to their liability insurer.
Now we have 1 Plaintiff and 4 or 5 Defendant insureds working out who is going to pay how much.
Plaintiff gets his medical bills paid and everybody moves on.

(2) Sues the party most responsible, that party then determines every other party at fault and brings them into the action as non parties at fault, then either files its own claim against them, or waits for the Plaintiff to do it.

Number 1 is more efficient if you have cooperative Defendant insureds. Number 2 is better when the parties are behaving adversarially.

Kid gets his bills paid, everybody is fine, insurance indemnified the defendants and paid for the damages. Insurers only paid what was necessary, the damages claimed at the outset are the entry point of the bargaining position. The whole point of bringing the shoe manufacturer into this is to get some insurers involved. Once you have them all involved, they can sweat the small stuff, the point is the kids medical bills got paid.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:58 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie
Sounds like they saw some deep pockets. A kid on an escalator with sandals?
Yup its the new thing..... ITS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSES FAULT!!!!!!!!

Sad

Old 08-21-2016, 11:54 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Let's rephrase this because the framing of these issues gets people worked up in a tizzy without understanding the entire context.

Kid gets injured on an escalator while wearing crocs, medical bills are expensive, they need help paying for them, so what to do? Call up a Plaintiff's lawyer.

Plaintiff's lawyer then figures out every party that could possible be at fault and does one of two things. He either:

(1) Sues every single entity that could be at fault, including safety inspectors, premises owners, shoe manufacturers, really anybody.
By doing this, he then sends a notice of claim to each entity which then forwards that information to their liability insurer.
Now we have 1 Plaintiff and 4 or 5 Defendant insureds working out who is going to pay how much.
Plaintiff gets his medical bills paid and everybody moves on.

(2) Sues the party most responsible, that party then determines every other party at fault and brings them into the action as non parties at fault, then either files its own claim against them, or waits for the Plaintiff to do it.

Number 1 is more efficient if you have cooperative Defendant insureds. Number 2 is better when the parties are behaving adversarially.

Kid gets his bills paid, everybody is fine, insurance indemnified the defendants and paid for the damages. Insurers only paid what was necessary, the damages claimed at the outset are the entry point of the bargaining position. The whole point of bringing the shoe manufacturer into this is to get some insurers involved. Once you have them all involved, they can sweat the small stuff, the point is the kids medical bills got paid.
This.

And then the signs go up on all escalators that warn people to hold their kids if they're wearing Crocs along with the signs that say "No strollers allowed" which stupid parents already ignore but it does give the store some sort of a disclaimer of liability if anything happens as the result of an accident resulting from either of these things.

And the Crocs company starts putting a warning inside every Crocs shoe box warning people that wearing their shoes can be dangerous under some circumstances like kids riding escalators while wearing them hoping that will insure the Crocs company against future lawsuits.

Of course all this could be avoided if everyone just showed common sense and carried their toddlers while riding on escalators or didn't try to take opened strollers on them. I think many people already do but it's is probably asking too much of some people who have to learn the hard way. Or their poor kids do.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:15 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
escalators are extremely dangerous, once one stopped when I was on it and I was stuck there for almost an hour until a fireman came and carried me to safety
You joke, but I've seen some horrible accidents. An unsupervised kid sat on a step riding it down. He didn't stand at the bottom and it pulled in his thighs. An old man carrying boxes lost his balance and fell forward and his shoulder was torn up where the steps go under. A group of people riding the escalator down when it suddenly stopped. Because most weren't holding onto the handrail, they fell forward over the metal steps. Some needed stitches, some had broken bones.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:29 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What happened in the accidents you saw? Do the crocs get caught in the grooves? One of the articles mentioned a sticking problem.

I had honestly never heard of this before, but my kids were grown before Crocs became a thing, and I don't watch much tv news.
The worst accidents I saw didn't involve crocs. One lady was wearing an extremely long scarf that was tied around her neck ( 1960's hippie style) that was so long it literally dragged on the floor. She got on the escalator. At the top, the scarf got caught in the escalator and it pulled it down, choking her. Someone was able to turn the escalator off, but she was dragged down to the ground and in the process of being strangled when it stopped. Another time, a young couple insisted on taking their baby stroller up the escalator with their newborn in it. They got really angry that we were trying to "boss them around". While on the escalator, somehow the baby fell out and hit her head on the sharp metal grooves of the moving stair parts. It was really bad. We called 911 and I remember the first responders were horrified at what happened. The worst I saw with the crocs is that a kid's foot was cut and the croc got stuck in the escalator and destroyed. I also witnessed a lady using a walker (not an old person, either) while carrying a huge drink full of ice. She wasn't paying attention and was trying to go down an "up" escalator. She got the walker stuck in the escalator and spilled the cup and ice went everywhere, getting stuck in the grooves of the escalator. People were on it at the time trying to get off, and she was just blocking them and it caused a pile up. We had to yell to tell people to hang on that we were going to shut if off. People were slipping on the ice as they got off. We had to walk her over to the elevators, but at the last minute she turned and tried getting on the other escalator. I had to literally stand in front of her and tell her "no". Human stupidity and stubborness know no bounds.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:38 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
^^ boy, do I ever agree on stupidity. There are shortages of lots of things in this world. Stupid people ain't one of them.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:47 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Interestingly, I was at an event at a museum a couple nights ago and at the main desk, they had a sign warning about Crocs and escalators with 2 or 3 mangled Crocs sitting beside it, so it seems like a know issue. This sparked some conversation among our group and we all remembered back when we were kids seeing signs warning about wearing sneakers on them as well as a bunch of other stuff that you just don't see any more.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
When did our world become convinced that everything and everywhere is SAFE? any piece of moving machinery is dangerous because it can grab the unwary and hurt them. Why are people not taught these simple things by their parents or in school?

Escalators may harm you if YOU are careless but are not harmful to people that use them correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events