Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:51 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times

Advertisements

Why was a 2 year old using the escalator by himself? And why wait 2 years to sue? Statute of Limitations coming up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why was a 2 year old using the escalator by himself? And why wait 2 years to sue? Statute of Limitations coming up?
The article said the mom was holding his hand. But parenting consensus is we picked up our 2 year olds to go on the escalator until much older then 2.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The article said the mom was holding his hand. But parenting consensus is we picked up our 2 year olds to go on the escalator until much older then 2.
I'm of the camp that a 2 year old should be using the escalator. To me, parents/babysitter should carry a child that small on an escalator. There's so much that can go wrong for someone that young on them. I'm in my 40's and I still hate them! They require me to think way too hard and plan how to get on and off.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:29 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
You should ALWAYS ASSUME there is a danger in things like escalators and WATCH YOUR LITTLE ONES LIKE CRAZY which they are on it! (They are counting on YOU to do that)

Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I saw this earlier. I wonder if the insurance company is making them sue? Every time one of my kids end up in the emergency room, we get a letter from the insurance company wanting to know if there are other responsible parties.
Your insurance company can't make you sue. If the ins. co. thinks someone else is responsible, it's their job to sue to protect themselves.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:57 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
I stand and walk many miles on concrete floors 40+ hours a week. Crocs are an absolute godsend. Regular sneakers kill my feet and knees on concrete. The only dangerous part is when the soles wear out and you slip easily on slick surfaces.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:35 AM

119 posts, read 89,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It's not suing who has money, it's suing who has insurance #1.

And spreading costs among insurers is preferable to bankrupting people, it's why we have insurance. It's why drivers have insurance, it's why businesses have insurance, it's the whole point of the industry. Spreading burden. But you're right, something catastrophic happens, what else do we have left to do other than sue? That's the point.
Why should anyone care that you can't pay your medical bills? You act like it's against the law for you to have medical bills if you can't pay for them.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schempgo View Post
Why should anyone care that you can't pay your medical bills? You act like it's against the law for you to have medical bills if you can't pay for them.
They don't have to care that's why they have liability insurance.

It's not a question of who violated the law, it's who is how much at fault? Kids parents definitely have some blame, that will be asserted.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:20 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
What a horrible thing. Escalators aren't for tiny kids!

I'm more prone to blame escalator manufacturers who KNOW there's a space between the step and the "wall" where not just CROCS can get stuck.

Seems quite easy to design a plexi guard for the sides of each step.

Little kids CAN'T REACH the escalator rail to hold on WITHOUT being right up close to the "open space".

Crocs are rubbery and definitely need caution wearing and aren't for little kids LEARNING TO WALK. You don't have the motor skills at age TWO. (or even older)

I've worn Crocs Beach model almost exclusively for over ten years. They're not for everybody in every circumstance but definitely not for little kids.

I'm a dog walker and there is NO WAY I could wear other shoes at this point. No matter what sneakers I might buy, I guess my feet are just used to the Crocs especially when they mould to my feet. I can walk all day long with no problem. Can't say the same with any other shoe. I buy several pairs on eBay every year to stock up in case they stop making them! LOL

( I do have regular sneakers/rain boots in my car because living in FL, it rains all the time and if I'm going in a client's house with tile and no carpet in the foyer I'll usually ditch the Crocs for that job)

The ACTUAL primary "problem" with them is on wet surfaces- the slip protection ridges on the bottom get worn off after heavy use on concrete and you can fall flat on your back on a wet slippery surface - especially tile/slick concrete. They make some with a different bottom that are better for that.

Another problem is they're a rubbery material and you can get them slightly stuck on your pant leg of your opposite leg walking down stairs.

I don't really know the solution. People are not going to use good judgment all the time, myself included. I've nearly tripped down my condo stairs several times when wearing long pants in winter and they caught on the pant leg. I always roll them up now and holding the railing is second nature now.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:21 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Your insurance company can't make you sue. If the ins. co. thinks someone else is responsible, it's their job to sue to protect themselves.
It's a little more complicated than that. It's called subrogation. In the cases of injury, it can get very complex since your health insurance company will do whatever they can to get out of paying your claim, if anyone else can be held liable, including retroactively denying it, and requiring the healthcare providers to return any monies already put out, if there were any. Companies employ recoupment departments that specialize in this sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events