Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,917,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do fights break out and people get trampled? A lot of that is exaggerated; last year on C-D people made similar threads, and the video footage was fake. It was from a film, not real life. I know a couple of people who have a career as store managers; they've worked for different chains over the years, including Wal-Mart, and they say nothing remotely like that happens.

The shooting incidents had nothing to do with shopping (of course; this is the Daily Fail concocting the story). One of the brothers shot was a known drug dealer, and the other one had a previous arrest as well. I bet all the stories in the extended headline check out similarly.

I work at a Super Walmart and this is my 7th holiday season with them. Nothing like what you see and hear in the news has ever happened in my store either. I think there was a fight last year but it was at the McDonald's in our store. This year was especially calm, organized and uneventful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 10:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You didn't hear of this outrageous behavior even 10 years ago.
10 years ago some drug deal gone wrong in Mays Landing, New Jersey would not have made the news. Now that we have 24/7 access to anything and everything that happens in the world, we are going to hear a lot that would have previously only made the local news (if even that). It has nothing to do with the break down of society, its just that most people did not really care about other communities' local news.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:13 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,868,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat
I work at a Super Walmart and this is my 7th holiday season with them. Nothing like what you see and hear in the news has ever happened in my store either. I think there was a fight last year but it was at the McDonald's in our store. This year was especially calm, organized and uneventful.
Makes ya wonder if that to IS ALSO STAGED BS!!

Old 11-29-2016, 02:08 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,033,266 times
I get a kick out the Wally World commercial for Black Friday. They made it look like a week day at Office Depot......ie, hardly any people there, walking around calmly.

As it was, the only B Friday sale I went to was at Shepler's many years ago and it looked like the traffic jam in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ttaHmRs_c
Long check out lines but people very calm. Someone even went out for donut holes for us all. We each took just one and passed it on.

As to why the difference, I have no answer.

As to me personally about Black Friday? My ambition and compulsiveness are no match for my laziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Macy's is not what it used to be, just as run of the mill as any other place now that all the federated stores were rebranded. Black Friday brings out all the animals anyway no matter what the store, I wonder how many of the people in the video got their turkey from the food bank so they could spend their entire welfare check on black Friday........
Well, as one who has given turkeys to the food bank in previous years, I don't see much of a problem of the above. That is their choice and who knows, they may have a grand aunt with macular degradation who they want to enjoy what she can in her last years of life. Ie, perhaps in the giving season, let's not judge too quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
I was reading earlier online about today's Black Friday violence around around America. Stuff like that really pisses me off: violence in churches, violence in schools, violence in movie theaters, violence in malls.

Where the heck is safe anymore?!

Anyone remember years ago when parents fought each other over Cabbage-Patch dolls during the Christmas shopping season? Foolishness!
A and B. A: Rather reminds me of how I approach driving and other things. Someone is pushy to get in, to get something? In the split second that my BP may be up to contest them about it, wiser thought is kicking in with "Well, go ahead and take it if it is that important to you.".

Maybe that is the wisdom that comes with being older, the ability to realize that things are not worth getting upset about, getting killed over. Maybe that's the wisdom of being a fatalist, of realizing when things were not meant to be.

B: I was shooting pictures at festival this weekend. In one situation, another photographer jumped in front of me, ruining my vantage spot. In another situation, I easily gave up my position, though I got there first by a few minutes, to an elder on a cart, telling him I could catch another show, get another position.

In both cases, it came down to a simple fact of life: "HEY, I don't own the place!".

Maybe more people ought to realize that.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-29-2016 at 02:29 AM..

Old 11-29-2016, 07:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,558,649 times
I read a study last year that showed the few days before Christmas actually had much better deals overall than Black Friday. So these morons are doing this over nothing. Not that there aren't idiots out right before Christmas.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,434,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
That shouldn't happen at a Macy's. Walmart I get but Macy's is supposed to get a better class or people there.
Macy's sales are usually really good, so the low-class idiots can afford it.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:10 PM

777 posts, read 883,092 times
Geez, they should have came to the Wal-Mart around my way.
Some of those TV's were still on the shelf as late as 3 pm.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:55 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,099,670 times
It's a preview to the apocalypse...

Old 11-30-2016, 11:04 PM

224 posts, read 311,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Geez, they should have came to the Wal-Mart around my way.
Some of those TV's were still on the shelf as late as 3 pm.
Same at my local store.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:06 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,312,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Black Friday has been around for decades.

It's only within the last few years it has gotten this way.

What needs to be looked at is the breakdown of society and basic manners.

You didn't hear of this outrageous behavior even 10 years ago.
Actually, it was worse 10 years ago. That is when people got trampled on when the doors opened. So then the stores had to install security and prevent people from forming a mosh pit.

The stores are to blame. The reason it didn't occur in the past is stores didn't offer head line grabbing sales to lure people into the stores. They had normal sales but not the "The first 50 people will get ......." deals. I remember Best Buy offered the first person to enter the store a $1000 worth of free merchandise. People camped out a month in advance to be that person. That's what led to the frenzy. People then began to see Black Friday as an event rather than the day after Thanksgiving where people went shopping.

Also stores started opening at mightnight on Thanksgiving Day. That never happened prior to 10-15 years ago. So people with nothing better to do on Thanksgiving would line up at midnight outside the stores to get the deal.

Finally, companies started releasing prized merchandise on Black Friday. The Playstation 2 comes to mind. It was released in 2000 and it was popular because it could play DVD's in addition to games; that was a new development for that time. That helped

All of these were created by the stores. And despite the fights and frenzy, the stores profitted incredibly over the new event like status Black Friday was given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events