Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:27 AM

7,251 posts, read 7,092,676 times

Advertisements

I don't fly unless it's Southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 11:39 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,709,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I do not see how they will be able to enforce it.

Quite easily - the gate agent knows what class of ticket you have when they scan your ticket at boarding - they can simply not let those passengers bring a bag down the jetway to begin with. Just like when they tell people in Zone 4 that, no, they can't board with First Class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I could understand if their base fares were as much as say, Spirit, but if they're gonna keep prices even remotely the same while charging for an overhead space, that's crazy.
Airfares are pretty inexpensive these days. The reason for all of the "nickel and diming" is that airlines are so focused on keeping the base fare as low as possible to attract customers who would gladly choose another airline if the price was $10 less - even if it had 3 additional layovers

The major airlines simply need to step up, tell passengers that everything (bags, food, blankets, etc.) are all included, and then charge a realistic airfare. If people don't like it, they can take a bus.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:40 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,525,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I would not mind a reasonable price IF I was guaranteed the bin above my seat.
I've long thought that it made more sense to charge for overhead bins than for checked luggage. Once airlines moved to charging for checked luggage, people went to insane lengths to carry on all their luggage and the boarding process slowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Gas prices are decade lows, no airline companies have pass the savings down to customers. We need more competition.
We sure do. But unfortunately, even meager improvements appear likely to reverse:

Forbes Welcome

Forbes Welcome

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.aa66337fab6f

What we should do, which is not on the table at this point, is open up the US domestic air market to foreign airlines.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,065,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Ridiculous. They are seeking every nickel they can get. They will charge a quarter for using the bathroom next. Mile high club membership will cost $50. Barf bag usage $100.
That wouldn't surprise me at all to have to pay to use their cramped, disgusting restrooms; and then have to insert a nickel into the toilet paper holder.

They'll also probably start charging a dollar for a soda, and .50 for a bag of peanuts.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:15 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,148,401 times
They are doing this to compete with Frontier and Spirit, but usually with the ULCC like them, you pay to a carry on and it goes in the overhead bin and you personal item goes under the seat.

This is kinda the same crap Delta is doing with economy basic, where the ticket is $20-30 cheaper, but you cant choose your seat or make any kind of change, but if you pay $20-30 more for economy main, you can pick your own seat.

They are loosing business to Spirit and Frontier who are flying full planes, while it may only be 1 flight a day from some destinations, its still 130-178 people the big 3 dont get to gouge price wise.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:23 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times
These fares are designed to compete with Spirit. You want cheap? Fine but the ticket will match the fare. Don't like it, buy a more expensive ticket or go fly Spirit which does the same thing.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
They are doing this to compete with Frontier and Spirit, but usually with the ULCC like them, you pay to a carry on and it goes in the overhead bin and you personal item goes under the seat.

This is kinda the same crap Delta is doing with economy basic, where the ticket is $20-30 cheaper, but you cant choose your seat or make any kind of change, but if you pay $20-30 more for economy main, you can pick your own seat.

They are loosing business to Spirit and Frontier who are flying full planes, while it may only be 1 flight a day from some destinations, its still 130-178 people the big 3 dont get to gouge price wise.
Profit margins are roughly 10% which is hardly the definition of gouging. Spirit has the highest margin of them all, if anyone is gouging it's Spirit.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:37 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,054,131 times
If they charge me one red cent for a carry on, I'm done with them. It will be the straw that breaks the camel's back no matter how inconvenient it might be for me to drive to LGA or JFK rather than EWR. They're worse than a third world airline.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
Mark my words, sooner or later we'll be reading about a 'disturbance' on the plane as passengers try to stuff their bag in the overhead bin even though they didn't pay for it.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:16 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,779,760 times
I actually like the idea of being nickel and dimed by airlines.

People flying like a lot of different things. Some people prefer aisle seats. Some people prefer windows. Some people want to sit at the front of the plane. Some people need more leg room. Some people have more luggage than others.

I think it's actually pretty nice that people can fly for significantly cheaper if all they need is to get themselves from point A to point B. The person that needs to get from point A to point B with more leg room at the front of the plane with 2 or 3 heavy bags should pay a little more imo. I don't really see it being any different than getting a car for $20,000 that gets from point A to point B, or an extra $5,000 for navigation, heated seats, parking assist, a back up camera, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events