Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:17 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,488 times

Advertisements

United Airlines will charge extra fee for use of overhead bins - Story

Quote:
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) -
United Airlines just announced a new ticket option called "Basic Economy," banning the use of overhead bins for luggage.So now you're stuck with either paying for a checked bag, or paying for a more expensive ticket to bring it on the flight with you.

"The overhead bin is one of the last sacred conveniences of air travel and the fact that United Airlines - and potentially others - plan to take that convenience away unless you pay up is really troubling," said Schumer. "Already, airlines charge extra for checked luggage, pillows, peanuts and headphones and now you'll have nowhere to store them. United Airlines should reverse this plan and allow the free use of the*overhead bin for all.".
Now OBVIOUSLY, nobody likes getting charged for something that they have been getting for free. I thought checked bags were about $25, so I would guess $5-$10. As of now I could not find how much.

Last edited by toosie; 12-05-2016 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: TOS - copyright - link and brief snippet only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 05:32 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Allegiant already does this (both the overhead bin and separating family members). I think the bin is $20 and checking is $30.

It used to separate all family members, but now I think the policy is changed to keep families together if the child would otherwise be an unaccompanied minor. I think it's just not practical otherwise. I remember being on flights where they'd separate someone barely old enough for her own seat from a parent and then when the parents realized they'd be separated, Allegiant would be demanding the passengers pay $35 a pop if they wanted to sit in one of the available seats next to their 3-year-old child. Meanwhile, some poor passengers were stuck next to a crying, abandoned, 3-year-old 10 rows away from Mom or Dad.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:55 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Jeezus they're nickel and dime-ing passengers to death.

So now there's basic economy, where you can't use the overhead bin, and whatever they call the next higher economy which I presume allows you to use overhead bin. Good luck trying to enforce that, I guarantee you some basic economy passengers will try to weasel their luggage onto overhead bins. It's a fact of life, passengers exist to break the rules and try to game the system. Trying to board early, trying to sit in business class, etc.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

So now there's basic economy, where you can't use the overhead bin, and whatever they call the next higher economy which I presume allows you to use overhead bin. Good luck trying to enforce that, I guarantee you some basic economy passengers will try to weasel their luggage onto overhead bins. It's a fact of life, passengers exist to break the rules and try to game the system. Trying to board early, trying to sit in business class, etc.
Yeah this seems tough to enforce. They certainly won't be able to stand there and watch everyone load them at the beginning, or be able to keep people from doing it while they are midflight and all of a sudden want the room. Unless they plan to add locks to all the bins, (but if they do that, it also means you won't be able to get into them midflight even if you do pay for it), or section them off and assign them to a nearby seat once paid for...

If I was a passenger on a plane and somebody midflight added their bag up top, I certainly can't imagine anyone narcing on em so the airlines can get a few more bucks off somebody..

Old 12-06-2016, 05:19 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Spirit Airlines just announced that for an extra $50 they'll let you sit inside the aircraft rather that duct-taping you to the outside of the fuselage.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:25 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
Ridiculous. They are seeking every nickel they can get. They will charge a quarter for using the bathroom next. Mile high club membership will cost $50. Barf bag usage $100.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Yeah this seems tough to enforce. They certainly won't be able to stand there and watch everyone load them at the beginning, or be able to keep people from doing it while they are midflight and all of a sudden want the room. Unless they plan to add locks to all the bins, (but if they do that, it also means you won't be able to get into them midflight even if you do pay for it), or section them off and assign them to a nearby seat once paid for...
Or if they retrofitted all the overhead bins with clear doors, assigned the bins at the start of the flight based on seats that paid for them, then made random checks throughout the flight... Which would slow down boarding even more...

But the cost and time seems like there is no way it would be worth it. Which just tells me, however they plan to implement it, they are going to have to add the costs of doing it into the charge.

Still can't come up with how they are justified in doing this. I was expecting to pay for each drink (even sodas and water) or your snacks and meals before this ever came to mind. Its not costing them anything, they are just adding on a ........."luxury tax".

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Ridiculous. They are seeking every nickel they can get. They will charge a quarter for using the bathroom next. Mile high club membership will cost $50. Barf bag usage $100.
After this I really do believe that may happen. How long till they add a credit card reader... Then get charged like a 976 call, $5 for the first minute $2 for each additional minute.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
What next? A charge for the oxygen passengers breathe on board?

Old 12-06-2016, 06:40 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
I would prefer to pay by the pound. That includes you and your baggage. Why should the cost of flying be socialized?

Old 12-06-2016, 06:48 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Yeah, this sounds like a cluster blank. I have never observed any sort of orderly fashion to the bin usage. People use whatever bin is open, regardless of where their seat is half the time. Sounds like a real poor idea....and I do not see how they will be able to enforce it...People who pay this extra will be mad when they don't have a spot to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events