Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:21 PM

7,251 posts, read 7,096,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Southwest is overrated <snip>

Not to me. They fly direct, non-stop to everywhere I need to fly. Plan ahead and be a bit flexible with days and flight times I save hundreds.

Plus free bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 04:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,253,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Don't people already pay for priority boarding, (or is that just not United)? That would also imply they wouldn't do any kind of enforcement once on the plane, and that whoever gets on last would just be able to use what's left. That is something people who pay for it will complain about, and want a refund for REAL QUICK.
No, what you're paying for is a guaranteed place in a bin. You don't deserve a refund because someone else took a chance on something being left and got lucky. No different than if you buy a First Class seat but there are six empty FC seats so they hand them out as upgrades. Happens all the time.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:25 PM

8,700 posts, read 11,099,735 times
I still don't understand the anger here. People want cheaper flights. They want more perks but not pay for them.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:34 PM

10,368 posts, read 8,010,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Not to me. They fly direct, non-stop to everywhere I need to fly. Plan ahead and be a bit flexible with days and flight times I save hundreds.

Plus free bags.
The checked bags aren't free; the price is just rolled into the overall ticket price. And the days of Southwest always having the lowest price fare are long gone. That existed only because during its early days Southwest cleverly purchased fuel options locking in a low price for jet fuel right before oil prices spiked. Since Southwest had locked in low fuel prices, they could price their tickets lower than their competitors who hadn't locked in their fuel prices and still make money. But those fuel options ran out long ago, and of course the price of jet fuel has plummeted right alongside crude oil prices. These days Southwest's ticket prices are on par with the other major airlines (but since they don't sell tickets through online travel agencies like Expedia, which make price comparisons easy, a lot of people who reflexively fly Southwest don't know that).

Southwest does allow date changes on its tickets without charging a fee, which is one area where it still does hold a clear advantage over other domestic airlines. And it has a very fair Customer of Size policy. It's a very customer-friendly airline overall, there's no question of that. But it's no longer a true low-cost airline. These days, the low cost leaders are Spirit, Alligiant, and Frontier. And all of the major domestic US carriers are scrambling to find ways to lure business away from those low cost carriers.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:36 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,253,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Southwest is overrated. First of all, Southwest flies limited routes even within the US, so if they don't go where the passenger wants to go, we're out of luck. Secondly, they are not as competitive as their fans claim they are. At least, not when I'm looking for tickets from TX to the East Coast. When I want to fly somewhere they go, I'll hit the little FARE SPECIALS FROM $49! clickbait link. I follow the link, only to find out that my ticket on their airline would cost much more than UAL or Delta. Free bags aren't worth it if my ticket costs $100 more than flying with a competitor.
Southwest is no longer a regional airline and their coverage is extensive. If they don't go where you need to go then you can't use them. Duh. That's true for any airline. What does that have to do with whether you use them when they do go where you need to go?

You're right, in head to head, United fares are almost always the same or less. But the "Southwest effect" isn't about them having the lowest fare but that their low fare structure forces competitors in that route to also offer low fares. While United may be charging $250 on a route that SWA is charging $275, chances are they would be charging much more than $300 if SWA wasn't competing.

Factor in two free checked bags, and more importantly, no $250 change fee if you need to alter your itinerary by even a day. I can't count how many times I would have like to (or was forced to) change my departure or return date by a day or two.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:40 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,025,740 times
The fun is really going to start when the Basic Economy person who paid for a bag in the overhead, gets on to the plane in boarding group 5 to find there is No Space left.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:41 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,639,703 times
Next big thing is folding chairs at the gate. They will go behind the regular cheap seat section.
Now, you see why people who have time drive....

Old 12-06-2016, 04:46 PM

7,251 posts, read 7,096,061 times
If you say so, but the last vacation I planned with Southwest we got $79 one way and $99 back, free bags.

Like I said, be flexible, plan early, and check prices often.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:16 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,751,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I don't fly unless it's Southwest.

Me too

Old 12-06-2016, 05:52 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
What next? A charge for the oxygen passengers breathe on board?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tibLSu8liT4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events