Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:37 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You can't have a snake infestation without a mouse infestation. When the mice are gone the snakes will leave.
Not necessarily. These snakes are probably entering the house through cracks in the foundation to brumate (hibernate) through the winter. Garters favor frogs and invertebrates over mice because of their size and their immunity to the secretions of many frogs and toads. Larger garters may occasionally take mice and birds but they're definitely not the primary prey. I wouldn't be surprised if pinkies were fair game, but the average sized garter won't risk the injury from the counter bite of an adult mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I wouldn't just get over this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVgReLN2g8k
That video is of the Narcisse snake den in Manitoba. It's famous among herpetologists as being one of the world's largest (if not the world's largest). These garter snakes aggregate like that because they court and breed using chemical cues, and the male of this particular species of snake can mimic the female's hormones, confusing other males (known as "shemale" mating scents).

You're not going to get anything that even remotely resembles that in one house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Id stay living there. They wont bother you, and its a great conversation piece! hahaha

If people didn't have so much ophidiophobia, this story wouldn't even make the news.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
I used Bull snakes (some call them gopher snakes) to take care of both a mouse and gopher issue I had. My son and his buddies were always catching them and bringing them home. I let a couple bigger ones under the house, mice were gone in less than a week. Never saw the snakes again. A couple others I showed convenient gopher holes to and down they went. Gophers evacuated as well, never saw the snakes again. Bull snakes get big. Seen them up to 5 foot. Mice and other rodents just can't abide the smell of a snake.

If the snakes in this case aren't really enough critter to handle full grown mice, there's still a lot of them it seems, so the smell of them alone would keep the vermin out. Snakes get a bad rap. Venomous ones like rattlers I won't abide but racers and bulls I encouraged to hang out on the ranch I used to have. They kept the mice out of the house and barns, kept gophers and moles seeking life elsewhere as well.

In truth, there's nothing more honest than a snake. You always know exactly where you stand with a snake. Yet people call sneaky, devious people "snakes". That just ain't fair to so many good, honest critters. lol, Still, I don't reckon anyone wants them getting in bed with them at night. In this case, I've never seen the like. Snakes just don't generally favor a house in such numbers. Must be a breeding and nesting spot.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:00 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Not sure how she got herself in this position. If I were her I would file a civil suit for the deposit money. As soon as it was filed I would contact the TV show Judge Judy. Judge Judy would tare the property owner up and the show would give her her money.
That's the last thing I would do. This lady has enough issues just paying the bills and running her life. She doesn't have time to waste on civil suits, which the landlord would very likely win. What I would do is put a request on gofundme.com and see if some kind hearted people can help.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
There's no way in heck I would "just deal" with these snakes. I really, really dislike snakes.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:59 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
I live in the desert. I don't want to share my house with rattlesnakes. We have a "snake resistant" yard with block walls and rubber sweeps / weatherstripping on the bottom of our car and entry gates. It's unlikely a snake would get in but we still watch and light it at night if we are outside.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:46 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,831 times
If I had more gartersnakes around the house, I might not have a swat-team of carpenter ants trying to do an invasion every year or so. And I probably wouldn't have an infestation of countless numbers of those tiny, odorous house ants every winter. I accidentally ate one recently and they taste worse than they smell.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:05 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
I would love to have a nice snake take up residence under my house. My house has a framework under the house, and the foundation lies on top of it. There are numerous places to get past the foundation and inside too. The dogs bark at the mice, but my cats are excellent mousers. But last summer, we had an even more populace crop.

The cats noticed and they'd be sitting and staring at a spot sure the critter would come close enough. But there was a super bumper crop. My son and his wife were visiting of course. While we went to get dinner and took a long ride for a movie, I left all the drawers and doors in the kitchen open....

We stopped by when we got back and the cats were still in hunting mode. So we went to their motel room and watched another movie. I went home then and found very tired cats, and no, none, not any mice.

Since I know my cats will catch any stupid mice who decide to take the chance, I'd never use poison, but there is indeed a reason why cats started to become popular in crowded places with lots of little mousies to keep them busy. A nice friendly snake to just keep them out in the first place would be an excellent addition. :-)

Old 03-10-2017, 03:44 AM

325 posts, read 336,596 times
OMG! That's absolutely horrible..

Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times
Ya know.............. I can deal with the occasional monster under my bed, but snakes, nooo thannks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events