Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:39 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The older turnstiles which one can jump over still exist side by side in most of NYC's subway stations. But they are usually near an entrance where there is MTA clerk nearby.

It is a shame that the BART system has gone downhill crimewise so much. I remember taking it in 1989-1991 regularly (mainly commuting to the Financial District) and don't remember crime being such a big issue although I do remember homeless people camped outside the Powell Street BART station when I used it on a weekend evening.
See bold. Lines matter on BART ... a lot.

Worst one has traditionally been Fremont - Richmond.

Other lines sharing that right of way for part of their route may have hot spots of crime in those same areas.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:45 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Plenty of communities around the globe have far less education funding and access to education, yet they aren't swarmed by constant floods of rampaging teens. What does that tell you? It's an excuse to allow criminal behavior.
I suspect I know which communities you are referring to.

Let's take Asia. There, you have quasi-fascist or outright fascist societies informed by paternalistic Confucianism, Hinduism, etc. These are not the forces of the Western Enlightenment. The mentality there is, the tall nail gets pounded down. You want that? Then move to Bangalore or Shang Hai.

Let's take Western Europe. There a combination of small relatively homogenous countries, with Napoleonic Law, and very, very generous social safety nets, create the vibe they have. But even there, if you look beyond the well known center cities and tourist areas, there are similar issues with beat downs, etc.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
I would much rather sit in traffic every morning & evening than deal with BART. It's dirty, it's nasty, and obviously an easy target for little POS's.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 AM

266 posts, read 271,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
BART has always been a grimy cesspool of crime, grit, and suffering. The only reason people force themselves onto those stinky germ infested trains is so they don't hang out on I80, or the Bay Bridge for 3 hours every morning.
One of the many reasons I cant stand and will not use public transportation, disgusting crime ridden cesspools.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:55 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,852 times
We can obviously gain from the reporting that this wasn't a bunch of white people who voted for Romney in 2012. Now, I've seen on the comments here and in the article that this is caused by lack of opportunity/jobs etc. I've stumped more than one professor with the fact that crime didn't go up during the Great Depression when there was a huge lack of opportunity. This is caused by scapegoating and the attitude that it's always someone else's fault.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:58 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,852 times
Oh, and disarming potential victims hasn't helped much. And it's not just guns, I've seen pushes to ban non-lethal defense tools because the criminals have more friends than we do in high places.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Why do people beat around the bush? Since when is it racist to call something the way it is? No way around it, these were not a bunch of white kids.

The Bay Area has a massive problem with crime as it is, Oakland is obviously terrible and gets a bad reputation for a reason. Poverty runs deep and causes problems. Unfortunately if we are being honest, the African American population is the majority of the poverty, and in this case, were the criminals involved as well. Nuff said

Old 04-25-2017, 11:11 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
With around 1.5-2 incidents of crime against someone per one million trips your chance of being a victim of crime on BART is pretty low. Some of you are such scared little drama queens.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
I read this at the Los Angeles Times site.

Made me question how police know they were all juveniles.

"The so-called juveniles were African American. That's why they won't release descriptions. How do I know? My sister was on that train. She lost her purse, new iPhone, iPad and engagement ring."

Gone in 30 seconds: Mob of up to 60 juveniles robs passengers on BART train, officials say - LA Times

Old 04-25-2017, 11:20 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Why do people beat around the bush? Since when is it racist to call something the way it is? No way around it, these were not a bunch of white kids.

The Bay Area has a massive problem with crime as it is, Oakland is obviously terrible and gets a bad reputation for a reason. Poverty runs deep and causes problems. Unfortunately if we are being honest, the African American population is the majority of the poverty, and in this case, were the criminals involved as well. Nuff said
It's like when SFGATE has an article about an attempted kidnapping or rape, they say the suspect is X tall and X age... but give no mention about race. I don't know why White Liberals are so scared to just state facts. If the person were White, Asian or Hispanic, they have no problem saying it, if they don't mention race, it's safe to assume the suspect was Black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events