Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:02 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
My first husband was (and is) legally blind. There are varying degrees and types of blindness; no one can tell what she could see. Per her son, there were no bright visual indicators, just a gray metal door open against a gray concrete sidewalk. I'm not surprised it didn't catch her notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 10:19 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I have a feeling that one day you're going to stumble over something and fall, then say out loud to yourself "damn.... I didn't even SEE that!!"

I won't laugh at you when it happens, though.

Not likely, but I've fallen and hurt myself at least four times in my life. I think it was five. I really don't want to think about it. I've broken my nose (twice) right humerus, left elbow--that was three fractures--and most of my fingers and toes.

I've been legally blind without correction for over 30 years. Thankfully, contact lenses and glasses allow me to have a life.

By the way, I broke most of those things when I was young when my vision wasn't terrible. Skating and cycling on the street has it's costs.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:34 PM

783 posts, read 576,623 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's crazy.

I'd love to send them all back to the 70's and watch them all totally freak out.
"What? What is this curly cord? Why is the phone connected to the wall? I have to go out, what do you mean I can't take the phone? There's no internet? What? I have to go the library and look stuff up? What are you talking about? omg! I'm in HELL!!!!"
They actually did something like that with kids and it was adorable and hilarious. They gave them a Polaroid camera.

When Kids Meet 80s Tech: Polaroid Camera

My favorite quote: "...one of those old cameras that, you know, you can only see in the dark..."

Old 06-10-2017, 11:13 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Where was her cane?

By the way, I don't think it's funny. I found it horrifying. Falls often kill people.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
A teen or someone in their early 20's can't put the phone down?
I haven't yet heard of that disorder. It magically disappears once you hit your mid 20's?
Weird.
Try being more observant. I see teens in the supermarket trailing behind the parent shopping, walking and staring into the phone.

I see workers at places like Target who pull out their phone, same thing at fast food places.

My favorite is stepping off the sidewalk and not looking to see if cars are coming.

Yes, you're correct, it is a disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
We've had a couple of new hires at my company terminated due to being unable to stop updating their social media. Pretty sad that they would throw away a career over that. All of them have been Millenials.
Not surprised in the least.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
My first husband was (and is) legally blind. There are varying degrees and types of blindness; no one can tell what she could see. Per her son, there were no bright visual indicators, just a gray metal door open against a gray concrete sidewalk. I'm not surprised it didn't catch her notice.
Many people are legally blind. They were contacts or glasses.

She wasn't paying attention due to her phone, it's on her.

With all the crazy stuff going on around the world, it's better to be aware of your surroundings. Looking down at a phone when you're walking or driving isn't too smart.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:26 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Many people are legally blind. They were contacts or glasses.

She wasn't paying attention due to her phone, it's on her.

With all the crazy stuff going on around the world, it's better to be aware of your surroundings. Looking down at a phone when you're walking or driving isn't too smart.
She literally looked at her phone for a couple of seconds. You can't judge what she might have seen with her level of visual acuity (or lack thereof). Even if she was "paying attention", she might not have been able to see the gray on gray of the open door. The workers put no safety markers around their work area.

I have an eye issue, myself. My brain sometimes ignores the input from my weaker eye. If I don't catch that it's doing that, I can easily have an accident. I remember two specifically - once, I walked into something in the factory where I worked, because it was on that side.

The other time, I bent down to pick something up off the floor, and was caught by a cup hook my ex-husband had installed on a shelf corner. It hooked around my eye socket, and I was stuck there til rescued.

ETA: You *do* know that not all visual problems are correctable with lenses, right?

Old 06-11-2017, 01:22 PM

274 posts, read 353,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
It appears more facts about this story are falling into place. Perhaps more details will tumble out of this story.

Glad shes not badly injured though. If she was not distracted by the phone she certainly might have spotted a door sticking up from the ground. She clearly can view the screen. It was not wise....
Agree that the distraction wasn't wise, but talk of peripheral vision and 'blending in' leads me to believe she has macular degeneration (I have it also) and when it is advanced, contrast is everything. My mother had it also and there came a time she could not easily differentiate curbs.

Her expectation was that the sidewalk would remain flat - not unreasonable but didn't end well for her.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Normally, I would laugh at someone falling in a fountain or something while texting "serves 'em right!" but this time... no. I feel bad for this lady. She is an older woman and frankly, there should be some sort of markings on those things. It just blends right in. Kind of hard to see out of peripheral vision, I would think. Hopefully, she's learned her lesson, but I sure hope she recovers quickly.
Oh please. I'm sure I'm a lot older than she looks but I'm not that stupid. You're supposed to watch where you're going. If you're going to walk with your head down, you won't have a chance of seeing obstacles obvious or not.

If you have a vision problem, all the more reason to be alert and not be burying your head in your cell phone. I have severe vision problems which is why I know to be extra careful when I am walking anywhere.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:00 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Try being more observant. I see teens in the supermarket trailing behind the parent shopping, walking and staring into the phone.

I see workers at places like Target who pull out their phone, same thing at fast food places.

My favorite is stepping off the sidewalk and not looking to see if cars are coming.

Yes, you're correct, it is a disorder.

Not surprised in the least.

No, I was just messing with you. I am fully aware of ALL of the people (not just millennials) who are phone-addicted. "Can't" and "Won't" are two different things. I was trying to point that out. (in an obviously much too roundabout way.) (smile)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events