Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 07:53 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
So.... we still have 3 Americans in prison over there ! It is NOT done.
And thats why you don't travel to countries that hostile towards ours. The young man didn't deserve what happened, at least no more than a tourist getting mauled by a lion at the zoo. Bad things happen sometimes when you reach inside the cage. There are countries that Americans absolutely should avoid. Iran and N. Korea for example. Im sad for the family.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:01 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I was the farthest thing from an Obama supporter, yet I don't put blame on Obama for this.

Not a single US serviceman should risk his life to rescue someone who went to North Korea on their own free will.
How many risked their life to get him home under Trump ??
Obama did not even try to persuade N Korea to release him.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Looks like you've got some researching to do..

Old 06-21-2017, 08:52 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Why didn't Dennis Rodman take him home during one of his trips to North Korea?

Old 06-21-2017, 11:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Some of the comments on here are a disgrace. Thoughtless crude disrespectful to the family. For Christ sake he was only 22, and was part of a tour group. All he did was take a poster off the wall. If in fact he even did that. For it to end this way is completely wrong.

How would some of you like it ifwere your kid. People making such callous comments at such a painful time.

It just goes to show the disgusting side of the internet. And that's putting it mildly.
"All he did" was decide to go to NK in the first place. A known terrible, America-hating, irrational and unnecessarily cruel regime. What is so hard to grasp about this?

My kid would not have been allowed to go to NK. I would have been 1000% against it. And if he or she went anyway, as a legal adult with his or her own money and resources, despite all of my attempts to convince otherwise... there's nothing I can do and anything that would happen to him or her would be out my hands yet 100% in theirs for the stupid decision they made.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:42 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
I really don't understand how he died so quickly after coming home. The doctors at UC said he was well-nourished and breathing on his own. Had no visible signs of brutality or torture. I assume he was on a feeding tube. Even when they disconnected Terri Schiavo's feeding tube, it took two weeks for her to die and she was 41. Heck, my Mom had extensive brain damage and she lasted five days after disconnecting feeding...and she was 89. It is just all so mysterious.

I know there are many hawks out there that just want to obliterate NK over this....but really, would you want your son or daughter in the military to risk their lives in a war over this kid? It is really difficult to see our citizens detained in these countries, but on the other hand, what are they doing in these countries??!! It's like the three kids who were hiking in Iraq and "inadvertently" crossed the border into Iran. Then it becomes our problem to get them out...even though they shouldn't have been HIKING IN IRAQ to begin with! The three U.S. citizens still in NK prison were voluntarily working in NK. I'm all for negotiations but not in favor of war in the cases of these private citizens who knew the risks and did it anyway.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:13 AM

384 posts, read 434,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
"All he did" was decide to go to NK in the first place. A known terrible, America-hating, irrational and unnecessarily cruel regime. What is so hard to grasp about this?

My kid would not have been allowed to go to NK. I would have been 1000% against it. And if he or she went anyway, as a legal adult with his or her own money and resources, despite all of my attempts to convince otherwise... there's nothing I can do and anything that would happen to him or her would be out my hands yet 100% in theirs for the stupid decision they made.
Agreed. He made an unfortunate decision and paid the ultimate price.
Anyways, he is dead now and hopefully his demise will prevent other fool hearted kids to go to NK.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:15 AM

384 posts, read 434,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I really don't understand how he died so quickly after coming home. The doctors at UC said he was well-nourished and breathing on his own. Had no visible signs of brutality or torture. I assume he was on a feeding tube. Even when they disconnected Terri Schiavo's feeding tube, it took two weeks for her to die and she was 41. Heck, my Mom had extensive brain damage and she lasted five days after disconnecting feeding...and she was 89. It is just all so mysterious.

I know there are many hawks out there that just want to obliterate NK over this....but really, would you want your son or daughter in the military to risk their lives in a war over this kid? It is really difficult to see our citizens detained in these countries, but on the other hand, what are they doing in these countries??!! It's like the three kids who were hiking in Iraq and "inadvertently" crossed the border into Iran. Then it becomes our problem to get them out...even though they shouldn't have been HIKING IN IRAQ to begin with! The three U.S. citizens still in NK prison were voluntarily working in NK. I'm all for negotiations but not in favor of war in the cases of these private citizens who knew the risks and did it anyway.
He was brain dead?
The only decision which I disagree with his parents, is not agreeing with an autopsy.
Although, I understand that they suffered enough already and they deserve the right to grieve in peace.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:39 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

The media is not telling the full story out of respect for the family. With the American doctors stating there was no sign of physical abuse or torture, applying Occam's Razor gets you to the only reasonable explanation. A 22 year old ex frat boy couldn't deal with the thought of spending 15 years doing hard labor in a NK prison. He was able to obtain drugs, a belt or some other materials which he used to attempt to kill himself. I suspect that the parents were given journals or a suicide note that make it clear what really happened. Why perform an autopsy if you already know they tried to kill themselves?

Old 06-22-2017, 08:52 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
So you think that Trump called up NK and said release him? If he did that for Otto, how come Trump left the other Americans there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events