Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:48 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
I concur. They are probably headed down a similar path as the facial tatted drowned man.

However I suspect the man who comitted suicide was a thug (look him up) and his relatives with their GoFundMe (that is a grammatical/spelling horror; they couldn't even take the time to spell it right they were so eager to "get paper") that was at $36K when I looked last night, are goiters on society's neck.
I looked at his facebook page and he seemed like a religious man to me.

I don't know why it matters if he is/was a "thug" or has tattoos. He was a father and apparently so despondent he took his own life. And some kids filmed it while mocking him. Your post is nearly as bad as the boy's behavior at the waterside.

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 07-25-2017 at 07:01 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 07:33 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Florida man and in this case Florida men strike again, Florida man is a legend on Reddit.
Yeah, my kids and I have that as a standard meme in our household jokes.

Recently on a long drive one of my kids read off a bunch as entertainment.

In fairness, I recognize that Florida has a large population and is livable outdoors so has a significant homeless population as well so not trying to start any fights with FL residents.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:49 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
They should have called 9-1-1, sure. But let's be real: by the time emergency personnel would have arrived, he'd have already drowned.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 AM

397 posts, read 319,131 times
To be honest, I don't think the man could have been saved. But of course the fact that these young punks taunted him, never alerted authorities and showed no remorse is a sign of their individual lack of character and perhaps suggests that younger generations, especially in certain subcultures or subgroups, are being acculturated towards narcissism and selfishness rather than true altruism. People care more about virtue signalling than having actual virtue. And then certain people are being told that all of their problems are due to ingrained oppression and are conditioned not to take personal responsibility or accountability for themselves. Sad!

Old 07-25-2017, 01:50 PM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I watched the video. I see it differently. Living in Florida I would not go into that water to rescue anyone except possibly my own family member and then I would probably drown with them. That man was in the middle of the pond. I would have no idea how deep it is. He obviously couldn't stand up in it. My son trains lifeguards. When he rescues people even in pools, they sometimes struggle and fling and kick their legs. Were it not for the float that guards carry they probably would not be able to save as many people.

These kids were across the pond on the other side. They were not with this man. They did not force him into the water. From the sounds of it he was willingly on his own walking deeper and deeper into the water to kill himself. At the end, he may have gotten scared and called for help, but had a person gone out to try to save him, he more than likely would have kicked and fought them off and possibly drowned them too. Remember the person who swims out to rescue him also has to have the strength to carry him back to shore without anything to keep them afloat. The person would fight the whole way. 2 people dead does not make the situation better.

As for the taunting. They see him go in. They yell out to him to not do it. They warn him about gators. They are more in disbelief that he is going in where they fear to go themselves. I hear what people say is taunting as nervousness and disbelief. I would have stood on the side yelling at the man, too. I might even have laughed nervously that he was not stopping when I realized he was really committing suicide and that he was not trying to swim to save himself when he started yelling for help. Can any of you tell me that when you see someone do something that is risky that you have not actually laughed at them and called them a crazy son of a *itch when they succeeded or fell on their face? Thinking how the show Ridiculous and Jack Ass movies have made money getting people to do just that.

Yes, they should have called 911 to report it, but that is all. All you saying otherwise would you go in? Would you go in if you do not know how to swim? We do not if they could swim. I am hitting 70. Would you expect me a 5 ft old person to swim out and rescue that full grown man? These were young kids. Would it be better that they died too? You cannot guarantee that that would not be the case. Here in Florida where people get into trouble in the water so often, it is often the rescuer that drowns.

It is as if you didn't watch the video at all, and if you did you clearly didn't have the sound on because this summary isn't close to what happened.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:24 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
LOL....their lives were already on the way to ruin way before this happened....salvageable??...I doubt it.
Dum spiro, spero / Where there's life, there's hope

Old 07-25-2017, 02:46 PM

888 posts, read 555,311 times
Ever since I saw this story a few days ago I have been seriously bothered. It makes me scared for the future that teenagers could act like that, or anyone could act like that for that matter. And it makes me even more upset they will be able to get jobs and live life and nothing will ever happen to them.

I am not saying they should have gone into the water. But taunting a person who is drowning like that? Not calling 911? Totally disgusting. I don't believe it nervous laughter or anything like that, it was mean kids being mean. Why try to justify that. can you imagine drowning and the last thing you hear is people laughing at you and taunting you? It makes me sick. So what if there was no time to save the guy, that makes it ok to laugh and make fun of him as he is drowning?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:18 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Besides alligators and other terrible water animals. When attempting to do a water rescue, you really have to assess your own abilities. Your size and the size of the drowning. Drowning people are in panic and grab and pull people down. Being trained to be a water rescuer is really important, as is strength. But even great swimmers have been pulled under when attempting a rescue. I am not sure teenage boys would be capable to do a water rescue.

But I don't disagree...the normal empathetic human reaction would be to try to do something.
Something I don't see anyone saying is that if he walked out and can't swim, it means he was probably only a few feet away from an area that was not over his head.

If someone went after him they probably only needed to get him a very short distance towards the bank in order for him to be able to stand and not be over his head.
As a strong swimmer I would have attempted it and tried to take anything that floats with me to push to him.

But I would not judge anyone that decided it was too risky, but laughing and not calling for help is
as bad as it gets.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:47 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
Ever since I saw this story a few days ago I have been seriously bothered. It makes me scared for the future that teenagers could act like that, or anyone could act like that for that matter. And it makes me even more upset they will be able to get jobs and live life and nothing will ever happen to them.

I am not saying they should have gone into the water. But taunting a person who is drowning like that? Not calling 911? Totally disgusting. I don't believe it nervous laughter or anything like that, it was mean kids being mean. Why try to justify that. can you imagine drowning and the last thing you hear is people laughing at you and taunting you? It makes me sick. So what if there was no time to save the guy, that makes it ok to laugh and make fun of him as he is drowning?
The sad truth is, there have been teenagers like this for a long time. There were teenagers like this back in my father's day. When he was a growing up in the 60s/early 70s, there was a certain part of town where if you were Black, gangs would beat you up, possibly kill you. Alot of the gangs consisted of teenagers. Chances are, they had no empathy and got away with it.

I would also read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock_Nine

There have always been teenagers who have lacked empathy and who had a high level of violence. This is nothing new. The only thing new about it is social media.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This, exactly.

This is no better than someone who comes across a wreck with dying people in the cars and just stands there and films them dying rather than calling 9-1-1. It's "failure to render aid" and it's a crime.
Agreed and how. Even if I can't rescue said person's, I'll call 9-1-1 and if possible, stay with the persons until help arrives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events