Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 04:13 PM

573 posts, read 590,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
And eventually there would be no traffic congestion. This in turn would eliminate aggressive behavior and violence.
BEST quote of the day . Too many people in this world anyways. Thinning the herd of a few idiots would likely increase the overall health of our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 04:51 PM

10,285 posts, read 6,379,438 times
As a woman, I have had men do that to me. WOMEN also. They didn't like the Bumper Stickers on my car. Free speech. No excuse for violence.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 PM

2,989 posts, read 5,615,358 times
I drove into NY once in my 20s trying to find times square to visit. I got over that double decker bridge and within 3 blocks i turned around and got the f outta that $#it hole. As soon as you get over the bridge all you hear is sirens, people shouting out of windows at people on the street, fist fights, horns honking, people cutting you off left and right with no turn signals, pot holes the size and deep as toilets, trash everywhere, broke down cars, booted cars, cops armed like military on every corner... on and on and on.

Who the hell wants to be around that hell let alone live in it. NY is like a 3rd world country these days.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,094,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You can bet my already agitated mind would be so consumed with anger at that point, chasing after that person would be an automatic given. I'm not saying I would want to stab that person, but you never knew what can happen in the heat of the moment.
If you already know this would be your reaction to some made up scenario, you should probably look into taking some anger management classes. Going after someone, not knowing what you'll do to them, because they were disrespectful should not be an automatic given.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I drove into NY once in my 20s trying to find times square to visit. I got over that double decker bridge and within 3 blocks i turned around and got the f outta that $#it hole. As soon as you get over the bridge all you hear is sirens, people shouting out of windows at people on the street, fist fights, horns honking, people cutting you off left and right with no turn signals, pot holes the size and deep as toilets, trash everywhere, broke down cars, booted cars, cops armed like military on every corner... on and on and on.

Who the hell wants to be around that hell let alone live in it. NY is like a 3rd world country these days.
Little girls manage it. Maybe when you grow up you can be as tough as a little girl, too.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:33 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,811,574 times
If the finger gesture was unprovoked, then I guess this guy had it coming.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:47 AM

7,689 posts, read 4,669,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because being an ahole is a justifiable reason for being killed? Sure oughta be a whole lot more dead people around then.
Having it happen all the time would be bad. It's too bad a knife was used and it went so far. Once in awhile i really like hearing that someone was a jerk and the victim turned around and clean clocked him. If there was more of that people would think twice before being a jerk for no reason. The direct confrontation is nice too. Legally stupid, but very low likelihood of a misunderstanding as to why something happened.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:08 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,401,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Given that he's been arrested 3 previous times for assault, I'd guess he knows the drill and has his attorney on speed-dial. The latter undoubtedly advised him to turn himself in before the police arrived on his doorstep. No conscience implied here.
LOL
Exactly!

Old 07-28-2017, 04:54 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,794,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post

I'm assuming your 20s was at least 30 years ago.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:37 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,985,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Imagine if some jerk mocked and flipped off a dead soldier's funeral in front of the grieving parents. Imagine if you were involved in a wreck, and your child or wife is killed, and someone drives by and mocks you and flips you off.

You can bet my already agitated mind would be so consumed with anger at that point, chasing after that person would be an automatic given. I'm not saying I would want to stab that person, but you never knew what can happen in the heat of the moment.

I love the high horse activists on this forum that always seem to value human life on these threads, until of course, it involves them personally or involves something that affects them personally in some way. I bet if it was some person that taunted and flipped off a group of bikers supporting a political candidate dear to these people, they'd then joyfully make fun of that person getting stabbed.

Double standards and hypocrisy? All the time!
^^Considering all this anger, I'm pretty sure you are a frequent flyer of the bird flipper club yourself.

Why are you bringing up dead soldiers' funerals, and spouses & children being killed in a wreck? Nothing even close to that happened in this news story. Not that it matters. Someone flipping you off does not merit running them down to stab them to death.

Here's another article with updates and more details:

Man who fatally stabbed Bronx man surrenders to cops - NY Daily News

I, too, was inclined to think that the victim (Billy Sierra) was being a jerk, but he really just seems to have been at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Before Sierra even happened by the scene, Garcia started an altercation with someone else in a Nissan. The Nissan driver had thrown a Wendy's bag out of his car window and Garcia "confronted" him. That Nissan driver than drove away, side swiping Garcia's car. A few minutes later, the Honda in which Sierra was riding as a passenger drove by the scene, at which point, Garcia than took it upon himself to engage with the Honda, telling them to slow down. ("Yo, slow down! Stop speeding in my neighborhood!”)

So, basically, Garcia was angry with the Nissan driver and took it out on the Honda occupants. How were they supposed to know what had happened a few minutes ago with the Nissan? Garcia wasn't in a wreck. The Nissan had merely side swiped him as it drove off. And we don't know if the Honda was really even speeding. Or maybe it was doing something like a 35 in a 25 (like 95% of drivers). If you are minding your own business, and some angry dude is yelling at you for something like that, I think the bird flipping is a little more understandable.

Considering that your "agitated mind" can be "so consumed with anger", I'm guessing you might have also been inclined to flip the bird, had you been in the victim's shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events